Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woo! Just replaced my speed/impulse/crankshaft-positioning sensor and I haven't encountered a problem yet! Super happy for my 3rd time in an engine bay ;D

Anyways, what speed does your mkiv idle? I'm at 750rpm right now, and I could've sworn I used to be at 800rpm before I needed to replace my sensor...? Maybe I'm wrong; that's why I came here! Surprisingly google didn't help me answer this one ???

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
woooow. can somebody please move this to the MKIV section? No idea how I ended up posting this here.....my bad

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
its normal

mine idles that low

there is a way to increase it with vag com

dont know how tho

i know i saw the steps in a DIY for replacing the dogbone bushings

think teh chris posted the link

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use Torque on my Android phone and it hovers anywhere from 740-760.
I've heard of Torque...I have a Droid X and would love to use it; but I'm guessing you need an OBD2 cable to get it to work?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I've heard of Torque...I have a Droid X and would love to use it; but I'm guessing you need an OBD2 cable to get it to work?
Bluetooth...

Where can one be had for cheap?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Bluetooth...

Where can one be had for cheap?
Simul said the least expensive ones he found were on eBay however, he didn't want to wait and forked out the extra money for a local one at the parts store.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yea, I got the PLX Kiwi bluetooth from Fry's: http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwibluetooth/buynow_torque.html ($119)

There are cheaper ones, however, that work just fine. I would recommend any knock-off like the following two:

http://www.amazon.com/Crescent-Bluetooth-Multi-Protocol-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B003XPS2SQ
http://www.amazon.com/XITECH-BLUETOOTH-DIAGNOSTIC-SCANNER-SCANTOOL/dp/tech-data/B003MQ89X4

(they're basically the same device just branded differently) Any ELM327 bluetooth device should work. The benefit of the above two over the KIWI is that there are no wires or cables (the KIWI is bluetooth, however, it has a long cable that goes from the OBD2 port to the bluetooth transmitter).

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
so with this you can check codes on any car with you phone

as long as you have that torque app?

thats nice

im getting one soon if thats the case

can make money, just scanning ppls cars

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
so with this you can check codes on any car with you phone

as long as you have that torque app?

thats nice

im getting one soon if thats the case

can make money, just scanning ppls cars
I'd like it just for the ability to scan on the go... I get stranded from time to time and carrying an obd2 scanner is bulky

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
I'd like it just for the ability to scan on the go... I get stranded from time to time and carrying an obd2 scanner is bulky
most of the time i have my laptop

so i have vag com with me

but this is just so much better

since i can work on any car not just a vw

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yea, exactly! It will work with any OBD2 compliant vehicle. It does not, however, support any of the extended stuff for VW/Audi. For example, a couple things that don't work are boost and fuel level. Not a big deal, most of the other important things do work (RPM, throttle position, intake temp, engine temp, MPG (actual/averaged), etc). Well worth the $5 for the app and $50 for the bluetooth adapter.

And yes, it does scan/clear the codes!! (woot!) lol, oh how I needed this before I installed the O2 spacer.

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Yea, exactly! It will work with any OBD2 compliant vehicle. It does not, however, support any of the extended stuff for VW/Audi. For example, a couple things that don't work are boost and fuel level. Not a big deal, most of the other important things do work (RPM, throttle position, intake temp, engine temp, MPG (actual/averaged), etc). Well worth the $5 for the app and $50 for the bluetooth adapter.

And yes, it does scan/clear the codes!! (woot!) lol, oh how I needed this before I installed the O2 spacer.
So you buy a obd2 Bluetooth thingamajig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
So you buy a obd2 Bluetooth thingamajig?

Well check your iFail market for the app... android def has it

Then you just need the bluetooth obd2 plug lol

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Well check your iFail market for the app... android def has it

Then you just need the bluetooth obd2 plug lol
ifail. Haha. I was asking for my friend with a fake iPhone(droid).

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Droid does.
I was asking about the obd2 thing. I have never heard of or seen this wireless obd2 device

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Click the links? Lol

I only know they exist because I read the info on the Torque app prior to this

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Click the links? Lol

I only know they exist because I read the info on the Torque app prior to this
Whaaaaaa? Read stuff? Hahaha