Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried running E85 yet. if so or if not anyone knows if our cars are E85 friendly?
(a couple friends of mines run E 85 with next to no mods. M3 & STI)

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I wouldnt recommend it. I have not seen anything from VW saying its E85 friendly...

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
U would need to mod injectors, and other fuel delivery systems. don't if u don't know or understand

·
Registered
5 Posts
i was very curious about this too. I just got a 2011 gti and in AZ we have quite a few stations with e85 and its still inder 3 bucks a gallon. Would a APR tuner know if this is possable? Im comming from the subaru scene where e85 is pretty big.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
You need to do some modifications to your car and have to manually set your tune to run accurately and efficiently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know what all is involved i was just curious if it has been done and/or if it was possable. With my sti depending on what turbo is in the car you need at least 750cc-1000cc injectors,a higher flowing fuel pump, a tune and that was pretty much it. Its just with these gas prices getting crazy high its got me thinking... And really you would have to replace the tank and lines? Why is this?

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
ethanol deteriorates rubber plastic and aluminum (if not anodized), newer neoprene lines are more resistant to deterioration. The fuel pump should be ethanol compatible, and since the car is direct injected you could have problems sourcing injectors large enough without breaking the bank. Not sure what the tank is made out of but it's something I would look into, If you are getting any kind of corrosion to the engine you could have problems with the HPFP and the injectors.

If you want to try it go for it, I would love to see this happen, I just think you should look into every aspect/every part before doing it. Unitronic might be the best company to do a custom tune because they are more tuner based.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
On a side note, check out the book that came in the glove box. It's super interesting. :rolleyes:

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
E85 is awesome, the only problem with it is availability. But hell, if they sell it in your area , you might as well do it. That also depends on what your trying to do with ur car. You will need some big ass injectors and a pretty heafty fuel pump. You will also use alot more E85 than 93 octane . I don't know what you guys use to tune ur VW's. But you'll need a wideband for sure, once you get everything dialed in, you will be able to run a ****load of boost, probably max out that stock turbo, and you will be able to pushing the timging alot further than you would be able to on 93 oct. On stock turbo srt-4s, people have made 330whp and 390wtq on E85! So i wiould imagine you would be able to get pretty close to 300 wheel depending on the size of the stock mk6 turbo

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
the k03 gets maxed out even on 93oct

23-25psi is the max it can do but it will not hold it for long

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Wish my Dino Shell had 104 octane.