Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im gonna get a new gti soon and was wondering if anyone has purchased the dvd based navigation system for the extra 1,800? It seems really cool but i havent seen one in person since my dealer only special orders them. Are they worth it? whats the size of the screen and does it only play dvds when the car is stopped? How good is the navigation system and does it cost anything monthly? These may seem stupid but im curious. The dealer doesnt seem to know crap about em.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have it and it's great! Not voice activated but very intuitive to use.
Great definition on the screen and pretty up to date on detail. My street is 2 years old and it's on there!

The best thing about the screen is it also displays your Sat radio, AM/FM radio, etc...

Also if you install bluetooth it will flash the telephone at the bottom of the screen when a call comes in. When in Nav mode it also shows the tuned station on SatRad or FM/AM etc.

Great control and well interfaced to the MFD

I'd post images but it's a PITA to figure how to do it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the NAV system also and love it. It's one of the better ones out there and the integration with the MFD is great. It shows the directions on both the main screen and in the instrument cluster do you don't have to look away.

The screen is or 7 inches I think? Not sure there, but it's a good size.

If you plan on using navigation, then yes it is definitely worth it.

As far as I know, it does not play DVD's at all.

The system works really well, it will give you directions to nearest gas stations, parking lots, restaurants, airports, etc. I've been using it a lot in the week I've had mine.

There is no monthly fee. You can purchase updates to the maps and directory yearly, but most people I know with NAV systems don't bother as things don't usually change that quickly. The updated discs are pretty expensive (over $100), but again, you only need them for any changes (rerouted roads, new businesses, etc) that have changed since you bought the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
huh the website says dvd based navigation. not exactly sure what that means "dvd based" but i'll certainly find out because i dont need just the navi for 1.8 k

·
Registered
21 Posts
The information for the navigation system has to be stored on something, in all built in systems, either a CD or DVD. With a CD you generally need multiple CD's to cover all the maps for the entire US, whereas with a DVD, one disc covers the entire US.

It is certainly possible that at some point, someone will figure out how to hack the system so that it will play DVD's, but I would not count on it as it would not be an easy thing to do...it could take a few years or never happen... Seems stupid, but unfortunately all of the car manufacturers are freaked out about liability issues and don't want to be sued by some idiot who complains that he got in an accident because he was watching a movie while driving and it's VW's fault for letting him do it. None of the cars that I can think of will allow you to watch a DVD in the front seat NAV screen, if you want to do that you need to go with an aftermarket system.

Anyways, good luck and I hope that helped... Hehe I had to rant a little about our lawsuit-happy culture!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i was thinking about it today the dvd based is just meaning it gets it info from the dvd's. Not worth the 1,800 to me for just a navi system that i wont really need. It would cool but not worth the 1,800.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well in conjunction with a GPS signal showing you where you are on the map it can figure out where you want to go from the Nav data stored on the DVD and computed within the unit. Quickest way to get somewhere, or shortest route.
Additionally it can show you where the nearest gas station is, restaurant, bank. ATM & Hospital etc.

Very practical

Think resale!

·
Registered
10 Posts
how are you guys ... I recently bought a used 06 gti , it has dvd navigation system but there was no DVD DISC in dash! I realized it at the dealership before I purchase the car. they said if you want we will order from VW dealrship or we ll make discount from selling price.. I choosed second option and they did discount , now my question is can I find a dvd disc used or brand new from anywhere ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts