41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Premium Member
294 Posts
What do you mean by car:weight control?

· Registered
15 Posts
Re: sport mode on dsg?

john864 said:
how many of you guys with the dsg tranny use the sport mode on a regualar basis... i just want an opinion on it...
I hardly ever use Sport mode. When I'm in Drive mode and I want more aggressive shifting I'll tap the paddles or put it in Manual shift mode.

· Premium Member
4,303 Posts
nimzie said:
Does the VW DSG do this? I hesitate to try it on the eos as it's not mine.
The VW DSG does not handle down shifts as well as a Porsche gear box, nor the the Audi R-10. You are comparing apples to oranges...

· Registered
280 Posts
I personally wasn't particularly impressed with the downshifts on the DSG, as well. Also, quick question--does the transmission always shift up for you under heavy acceleration? I ended up ordering a manual, but I'm just curious if I was doing something wrong because when I test drove the DSG it seemed like I could never get the damn car to hold a gear when in S???

· Registered
263 Posts
the dsg has slow downshifts if ur not on the throttle. however, if youre on the gas and downshift, its faster then manual. and on upshifts it will automatically shift in manual mode if you go i think 500 over the redline, which is good for retards that dont know when to shift

· Registered
280 Posts
yee said:
the dsg has slow downshifts if ur not on the throttle. however, if youre on the gas and downshift, its faster then manual. and on upshifts it will automatically shift in manual mode if you go i think 500 over the redline, which is good for retards that dont know when to shift
I wasn't ripping on the DSG and saying one is better than the other, and I wasn't going 500 over redline. I'd be around 4,500 RPM or so (and it was usually in 4th), and it seemed like the car would always upshift into 5th.

· Registered
263 Posts
FastAddict said:
yee said:
I wasn't ripping on the DSG and saying one is better than the other, and I wasn't going 500 over redline. I'd be around 4,500 RPM or so (and it was usually in 4th), and it seemed like the car would always upshift into 5th.
oh i didnt mean to offend you or anything, i was simply explaining the mechanics to you. and yes, in drive, it isnt exactly high revving. i use manual mode all the time tho, unless im in traffic.

· Registered
320 Posts
I have the DSG and feel that it shift up too quickly. But that is only when it is in D. The computer is programmed for optimum efficiency when in D so the upshift is logical. When I have it in S I don't have any problem with it shifting up.

As far as the slow downshift is concerned, that is also only if it is in D. When in manual mode or S it shifts quite rapidly in either direction. Keep in mind that even in S mode the computer has to predict what your next move will be. It will occasionally get it wrong, however if this bothers you then stick it in manual and enjoy the lightening fast shifting with full control of the gear selection.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.