Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
320 Posts
I have an '06 with DSG. I have never purchased a car that wasn't a manual. I typically hate automatic transmissions, they're wicked slow and unpredictable. The DSG, however, is awesome! I still hold onto the stick as if I'm getting ready to change gears though... force of habit.

If you're taking it quick on the twisties simply put it into "S" mode and you can keep both hands on the wheel. It's really quite impressive. I find that I still miss all the foot action sometimes, but overall I don't regret getting DSG.

I would suggest manual in a regular car where fuel economy and performance would be a benifit. But that's not the case with the DSG. Take a look at what transmissions formula racers use. I believe you'll find high performance autos in the majority of them.

My suggestion is to drive both and do some serious contemplation.

· Registered
320 Posts
I have the DSG and feel that it shift up too quickly. But that is only when it is in D. The computer is programmed for optimum efficiency when in D so the upshift is logical. When I have it in S I don't have any problem with it shifting up.

As far as the slow downshift is concerned, that is also only if it is in D. When in manual mode or S it shifts quite rapidly in either direction. Keep in mind that even in S mode the computer has to predict what your next move will be. It will occasionally get it wrong, however if this bothers you then stick it in manual and enjoy the lightening fast shifting with full control of the gear selection.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.