Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard all this talk about how awesome the DSG is and how it's actually faster than the manual by about 1/10 of a sec in the 0-60. I'm sure it's really awesome and all, but IMHO, you don't buy a performance car with an automatic transmission. It's as dumb as BMW making automatic M3's. Maybe for some type of lead sled drag machine an automatic is what you want and need, but to me, there's no comparison when you get on a back road and go for a drive. Sure, in city traffic the auto is nice, but the whole body experience that is heel toe driving, the level of connectivity that you get with a stick, just can't be equalled with an automatic., no matter how fast, smooth, or fancy it is. Anybody have the DSG and care to disagree with me on this?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,908 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly. Especially with a gear shift as clean-shifting as the one in the GTI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
I tortured myself over that very question, and it was actually one of the reasons I went with the GTI. I love to drive a stick, and I wanted to avoid an auto. But... I spend 2 hours a day in stop and go traffic. Pesonally, I can only get one car. I was getting so tired of my left leg twitching with spasms by the time I got to work/home.

But DSG is not a traditional auto. It's a manual with a car controlled clutch. You get the positives of a manual clutch - engine braking and full power transfer. I end up driving 95% of the time in manual mode, choosing my own gear. Sure, sometimes I miss the clutching action and feeling the power come in completely by my command, but in the end, it's a great compromise. I still try to drive my friends cars with manual to stay "in practice".

If you live in the country with great sweeping curves, no traffic and don't have to sit daily on an uphill road with 100 cars in front of you going 2.5 miles an hour, go with the manual. Otherwise, try the DSG.

Plus, it's a lot of fun to floor it and go from 1st to 2nd in about a millisecond (give or take)!

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
deviltailedfast said:
I tortured myself over that very question, and it was actually one of the reasons I went with the GTI. I love to drive a stick, and I wanted to avoid an auto. But... I spend 2 hours a day in stop and go traffic. Pesonally, I can only get one car. I was getting so tired of my left leg twitching with spasms by the time I got to work/home.

But DSG is not a traditional auto. It's a manual with a car controlled clutch. You get the positives of a manual clutch - engine braking and full power transfer. I end up driving 95% of the time in manual mode, choosing my own gear. Sure, sometimes I miss the clutching action and feeling the power come in completely by my command, but in the end, it's a great compromise. I still try to drive my friends cars with manual to stay "in practice".

If you live in the country with great sweeping curves, no traffic and don't have to sit daily on an uphill road with 100 cars in front of you going 2.5 miles an hour, go with the manual. Otherwise, try the DSG.

Plus, it's a lot of fun to floor it and go from 1st to 2nd in about a millisecond (give or take)!

:D
Blasphemous! you are a traitor to the clutch!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
deviltailedfast said:
I tortured myself over that very question, and it was actually one of the reasons I went with the GTI.
...
If you live in the country with great sweeping curves, no traffic and don't have to sit daily on an uphill road with 100 cars in front of you going 2.5 miles an hour, go with the manual. Otherwise, try the DSG.

Plus, it's a lot of fun to floor it and go from 1st to 2nd in about a millisecond (give or take)!
This was exactly my reasoning. If the GTI was my weekend car, there's absolutely no question I would have gone with the driver-controlled clutch. Since two cars isn't an option (thanks, student loans) I can't justify getting Clutch Leg due to traffic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
My first vehicle with a manual trans was a 1968 Ford Bronco 3-on-the-tree with manual drum brakes behind the 35" BF's. Not only did it take about 11,000 pounds of pressure to depress the clutch, it took about 10 times that to stop the damn thing. After driving that truck for a few months I could leg press 750lbs. Thanks to that expreience I honestly believe that I'm immune to any sort of "clutch-leg" so I opted for the manual. I just really like the act of shifting and the extra degree of control that having a clutch affords. Plus, the DSG wasn't going to make my payment any cheaper, so that was a factor too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Yeah, I gave up any options so I could keep the price down with the DSG. No A/C in the glove or arm rest, no sat radio, no leather.

And I don't know what the original poster considers a "TRUE driver," but I've spent enough time on the coastal highways of California tear-assing around in an Alfa Romeo to know what true driving is. You're not sacrificing a whole lot with the DSG.

"VW GTI MkV vs. Porsche 996...from a TRUE driver's standpoint." It's a slippery slope, man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Thalo said:
I agree wholeheartedly. Especially with a gear shift as clean-shifting as the one in the GTI.
Im with you. Automatics are boring. I know the DSG is different from most autos, but nothing is as fun as banging gears with a stick shift. And I could care less about that 1/10 of a second. Im getting the revo software upgrade this week, should take care of that 1/10 of a second ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
dean said:
...but I've spent enough time on the coastal highways of California tear-assing around in an Alfa Romeo to know what true driving is...
You wouldn't happen to be a 40-something year old entrepreneur named Craig, would you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
857 Posts
If you haven't read any of PMAZ's posts, he opted for the DSG, if you want to talk to a TRUE driver, he's the man. I hope he reads this and posts on this thread, DSG is the way to go. Call me crazy, but I believe that within the next 30 years, manual transmission will be completely obsolete. Technology is advancing so quickly that auto makers will have this whole DSG, SMG etc. down. In time, it will be so much faster than a manual that even the worlds best drivers with a manual will not be able to keep up with Joe Schmo in the car with the automanual transmission. DSG is the best thing out there right now, and it will only comtinue to improve with time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
DrJones said:
dean said:
...but I've spent enough time on the coastal highways of California tear-assing around in an Alfa Romeo to know what true driving is...
You wouldn't happen to be a 40-something year old entrepreneur named Craig, would you?
Nope, but I spent a LOT of time screwing around in college driving and dirt biking around northern california. Also, I agree that PMAZ is undoubtedly a better source for a fact-based response; I'm just saying the relative amount of performance you are sacrificing, if any, is negligible. We're not talking about getting a tiptronic McClaren.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DrJones said:
My first vehicle with a manual trans was a 1968 Ford Bronco 3-on-the-tree with manual drum brakes behind the 35" BF's. Not only did it take about 11,000 pounds of pressure to depress the clutch, it took about 10 times that to stop the damn thing. After driving that truck for a few months I could leg press 750lbs. Thanks to that expreience I honestly believe that I'm immune to any sort of "clutch-leg" so I opted for the manual. I just really like the act of shifting and the extra degree of control that having a clutch affords. Plus, the DSG wasn't going to make my payment any cheaper, so that was a factor too.
Ahhhhh. The three-on-the-tree. My old man restored a 71 bronco, so I'm very familiar with that beast. Rolling deathtrap with that weird suspension setting as well. Fun though O0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
10bv01 said:
If you haven't read any of PMAZ's posts, he opted for the DSG, if you want to talk to a TRUE driver, he's the man. I hope he reads this and posts on this thread, DSG is the way to go. Call me crazy, but I believe that within the next 30 years, manual transmission will be completely obsolete. Technology is advancing so quickly that auto makers will have this whole DSG, SMG etc. down. In time, it will be so much faster than a manual that even the worlds best drivers with a manual will not be able to keep up with Joe Schmo in the car with the automanual transmission. DSG is the best thing out there right now, and it will only comtinue to improve with time.
I'm new to the boards here and I wasn't trying to start any static whatsoever. As far as what I mean as a "true" driver's car, I mean the whole experience that goes along with a sports car. IMHO, an automatic, no matter how fast it is, just isn't as much fun. Plus there's the little thing where it undeniably takes LESS skill to toss around an auto. I've never felt as in tune with an auto as I have with a nice manual gearbox. There's no doubt that the whole SMG DSG thing is more efficient and faster nowadays. Manuals are already obsolete. Thats why they use the system in F1 racing and Lemans. Again, I wasn't trying to knock on anyone with a DSG. Just making convo with some fellow Drivers ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Meh, no static taken. I can't argue against your point that it takes more skill to drive a stick. Rev matching and getting the most out of your box is something I don't have to worry about anymore, and truth to be told, I miss it sometimes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Yeah, ditto the no static taken. Like I said, it was a complete soul searching moment. I really don't want to be stuck with an auto, but man this auto is cool compared to a traditional one. Leg physical therapy after extended traffic exposure = $1000/year. DSG = $1000 one time. Works out. ;D Geez, I do love driving a stick, though. In 30 years we'll be paying thousands and thousands of extra dollars to enjoy the good ol' days when we could feel the clutch engage at our command.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
DSG is an Automatic???

Can anyone tell me where I put my automatic transmission fluid? I'm having trouble finding that on my DSG equipped car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
zulu said:
DSG is an Automatic???

Can anyone tell me where I put my automatic transmission fluid? I'm having trouble finding that on my DSG equipped car.
I'll tell you EXACTLY where you put that bottle of transmission fluid...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
lol @ that las comment above! haha

i did same soul searched.. i went for manual who wants a gear lever that looks like an automatic.. next to amanual with 123456 - dunno about you but when a girl is in my car each time its... "oh you've got 6 gears" yep ;)

as for the 1/10 dam right- revo fixed that! and manual is faster than a DSG top speed is 1MPh more :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
hello;

well I would like to comment what people prefer here in spain. In spain most cars are manual, only bmw, mercedes, ... use to have automatic. Most people here as well do prefer manual, buf since vw started with the dsg, things are changing. A couple of years ago it was imposible to think of a car like the gti without manual, but nowadays things are different, young people are starting to use it.
 
1 - 20 of 150 Posts
Top