Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably filmed in Japan as the people are Japanese and the GTI's are even right hand drive. But its the first video I have seen that actually shows the advantage of the DSG over the manual. Not only against just another GTI but also several other cars. Makes me wish I had bought a DSG sorta. But I do love my manual trans. The language is in Japanese but dont worry as there are subtitles for you non Japanese speaking types ;D This is actually a very good video. Be sure and catch the part where the driver is about to drag race and realizes the he has the car in PARK as the other car blast away from the line. Those funny Japanese I tell ya.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot. It ALSO shows how the launch control works that everyone on here has been posting about. Watch It!

·
Registered
857 Posts
No it can't be the '07, that video was posted march of 2006, and it had to be shot at least a little while before then. They must have had launch control there since they first came out.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
i've seen that video a ton of times towards the end of the race the manual is gaining. so in the long run the manual will prob win

·
Registered
352 Posts
but how often do you race in a straight line for more than a quater mile? And in the US, the launch control is only on the 2007. but you can get the program downloaded on your 2006 ecu.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Incorrect, you CANNOT get the program downloaded to you '06.

I have an '06, took it to the dealership and my car did NOT accept the program, it's a different TCM in the '06 than the '07.

Also, it is also VERY difficult to even get a dealership to attempt it if you have an '06 since the warranty does not cover it and if they screw something up, they'll personally be paying for it. Luckily, I have friends at the dealership that at least attempted it for me.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well that sucks, I was looking forward to launching without the traction control light coming on.

·
Registered
274 Posts
blackgti06 said:
i've seen that video a ton of times towards the end of the race the manual is gaining. so in the long run the manual will prob win
Care to explain? Not possible.

·
Registered
89 Posts
dont know i havnt really tried to dump clutch too high .. highest ove done it is about 3-4 grand and that is plenty for me? anyone know a good range to drop it at??

·
Registered
749 Posts
I started by trying to drop it at about 3K but was spinning the tires too long. Someone suggested 2500 in another thread so I tried that and started having much better launches. At 2500, I have to modulate the throttle a little bit to get some grip, but not so much that turbo lag sets in again. The best launches I've had yet have involved an initial lurch forward followed by a little wheelspin when I hit full throttle in 1st.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts