Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my new MkV GTI DSG for 3 weeks now and am generally happy with it except for one thing. Most times when I manually downshift from one gear to the next the shift takes about 1 sec which is much longer than the very fast upshifts. It's as if the gearbox is optimised for upshifts by preselecting the next highest gear and, when I tell it to downshift, it has to go to the shop, buy the required gear and fit it before changing down (OK, it's not that bad but 1 sec feels long when you are freewheeling into a corner and are waiting for the downshift to occur). This is most noticeable when downshifting from 4th to 3rd since I mostly drive around town in 4th. I have recorded the engine sound on my PPC and analysed the file with audio editing software and can confirm the 1 sec delay before the downshift is complete. Anybody else noticed this problem? Barry

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have tried accelerating just prior to the 4-3 downshift but still 1 sec downshift most of the time.
What really anoys me is that I can see the corner coming, I go off the accelerator and start to brake, at the same time getting some engine breaking in 4th, then I shift to 3rd and, for the 1 sec, the car is freewheeling (ie no engine braking with revs held constant by the computer) before the shift to 3rd. This means I have to brake a little bit harder to compensate for the loss of engine braking during that transition period. Very disconcerting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have just completed my first country run in the new GTI and made sure I covered roads with lots of curves and hills. I tried deviltailedfast's advice to give the engine a bit of throttle just before manually downshifting and it does work. Neutral or trailing throttle = slow downshifts, medium to heavy throttle = fast downshifts. This just goes to show that the gearbox mechanicals are capable of fast downshifts The response I received from VW Australia when I queried slow downshifts was that it was normal and they did state that "shifting is also optimised for longevity of components". This infers that the software is slowing the downshifts to try to avoid gearbox problems. It's interesting that the test car that I drove did not have slow downshifts. Makes me wonder whether there is a "test drive mode" for the gearbox that can be activated using VagCom. Any comments from VagCom users?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have been in contact with VW Australia about slow downshifts. They say this it normal that it can take about 1 sec for the downshift but I still think there is a bug in their software. To my mind this is how a downshift should occur if the gearbox has preselected the wrong gear:
press down paddle > wait for gearbox to select next lowest gear (approx 1 sec) > first clutch releases > engine revs matching > second clutch engages.
This process ensures that the driver has control of the engine revs up to the point that the gearbox is ready to change gears and we know that this changeover is very quick.
What actually happens with my car is this:
press down paddle > first clutch releases > engine revs matching > wait for gearbox to select next lowest gear (approx 1 sec) > second clutch engages.
Here, the driver loses control of the engine revs for approx 1 sec between when the first clutch releases and the second clutch engages so the car is freewheeling for this period of time. I find this very disconcerting. I'm hanging out for enough people to complain so that VW brings out new software to fix this. Does VW read any of these posts????? Barry

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yes, downshifts are fast if you are on the throttle before you request the shift and this technique works well if you are not in traffic. However, I spend most of my time in city traffic and most of my downshifts are done with the car in neutral or trailing throttle so most of my downshifts are slow. Barry

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Neutral throttle, not gearbox in neutral. By neutral throttle, I mean just enough throttle to maintain constant speed. Trailing throttle means no throttle and engine braking. Barry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.