Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Downshifts are painfully slow. When you're in a traffic situation you need to be able to punch it and have the car move immediately. The DSG is incapable of this. Even a good conventional automatic can kick down fast. The DSG is like waiting for an elevator to come down. Also, for some reason the DSG has almost no engine braking.

I traded in my 07 DSG after 2500 miles for a 6-speed for these reasons.

DSG, great for the drag strip, not so great for commuting.

· Registered
11 Posts
nitroburn said:
Isn't that partly why we have paddle shifts? As deviltailedfast pointed out, what you say is partly valid in D, but also only if you don't bother to hit the - paddle to change gear. I don't see the need to goto 6-speed based on that situation as its only change is going to be slower shifting and need to control the clutch.
I was referring to the paddles. Downshifting is too slow. Waiting for the trans to engage a lower gear. It's ready to engage the next higher gear, and takes too much time to engage a lower gear. God forbid you need to downshift 2 gears quickly.

Having a manual clutch allows you to select the gear you want (which you can actually tell without taking your eyes off the road to look at those little dash indicators), raise the revs with your right foot (which also gets past the turbo lag) and slip the clutch as needed depending on your speed and the gear selected, to move when you need to.

Don't even get me going about the automatic modes . . . D, 6th gear at 40mph. S, scream out every gear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.