My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I've seen that H&R added a chip with full 3" Exhaust and Intake. And the DSG tranny held up perfect. Does any know what is the limit of hp and lbs/ft that the GTI's DSG/ A3 S-Tronic? Even better did anyone with a DSG that has broken due to too much power?

·
Registered
263 Posts
some say 300 lbft torque some 265, but i think thats bullshit since ive seen a few modded dsg gtis with over the 300lbft of torque, including vwvortex's project car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you have a link to vwvortex's project car? i would like to see what mods it's sporting. thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay yee, you should look at the link you posted. i checked it out and dyno numbers are only in the 257 lb/ft and 208 hp. where are you getting this 300hp number from ???? also i don't think that those dyno numbers are acurate. the H&R GTI from SCC's GTI shoot out issue. It dyno'ed at 211 hp and 222 lb/ft with a hi-flow cat and exhuast with the same GIAC computer flash.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey guys:
I have a 07 gti, dsg with giac, miltek from tbe, cai, let me tell the car runs great and im sure its producing at least 250 at flywil, many cars in california with the same set as mine with dsg, have equal quarter mile runs as the manuel and horsepower. The manuel tranny might edge the dsg at around 100mph.
By the way the h&r gti they even said that they could not get a good run and those numbers were underrated. Ive also asked why dsg dyno runs are so low many shops have said that the manuel you could hold the car in a certain gear as long as you want to, but a dsg shifts on its own that the reason for the different numbers.
Mine im very certain that the car has more than 250 at engine, from 60-130 blink of a second, anybody with doubts i live in nyc and open for a test run anytime.

·
Registered
12 Posts
also guys a mkv gti with stock turbo even with tbe, chip( giac, apr) two the best, cai, intercooler, the car only will produce no more than 270 at engine that's the max for the stock set up.
By the way all dyno runs vary, a good dyno run should be at about 220-240 at wheels no more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A.A thanks for the info and the offer, i'd love to take you up on that offer but i live in the new orleans area. I am waiting of a reply from APR to see if they've tried the K04 upgrade on a A3 S-Tronic or a GTI DSG. I may even drive to bama to get them to do the install.

·
Registered
280 Posts
So I actually asked my dealer about the max torque rating on the DSG when I was contemplating buying one, and he contacted VW who in turn gave him a direct figure of 264 ft/ lbs. Not sure what happens when you exceed this...clutches slip, premature failure? That's the best I can do for ya...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey fastaddict, i know that the number they gave you is wrong b/c every dsg with a chip and intake is putting out about that or more. the number has to be closer to what yee was saying about 300hp and about 300lb/ft but yet no on chimed in with a blown tranny or dyno numbers above the 250lb/ft mark.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
the DSG is not rated over 300hp. thats why the new R32's only have 250hp. not much of a difference over the last model.

·
Registered
280 Posts
GTIwagon said:
hey fastaddict, i know that the number they gave you is wrong b/c every dsg with a chip and intake is putting out about that or more. the number has to be closer to what yee was saying about 300hp and about 300lb/ft but yet no on chimed in with a blown tranny or dyno numbers above the 250lb/ft mark.
I got my numbers from VW directly. That's all I said. Did I ever say they were valid? No. Just because VW quoted those numbers DOES NOT mean the transmission is going to instantly go out once you exceed it. VW gave the dealer those numbers who in turn gave them to me, so there IS probably lee-way on the figures. I'm sure they put those out there because they are reasonable specs and they don't want to be held liable if they release the absolute threshold at which the transmission will instantly go out. Sure you could also run 25 psi of boost through the stock turbo and have it last a few thousand miles, but it will go out eventually--and by eventually I mean sooner rather than later. Same goes for the DSG. It's not like I've called multiple tuning companies (APR, AWE, etc.) and have gotten their mechanics opinions on upgrading both transmissions. Sure, the DSG could reliably hold more torque, but you'd have to do some more upgrades to it than you would the manual. But don't listen to me, because you KNOW that I'm wrong and you're obviously extremely educated on the subject...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've searched everywhere for a definitive answer to this question as I intend to buy a new GTI but am basing transmission choice on which (DSG vs. Manual) is better for the mods I want (CAI, intercooler upgrade, Revo Stage II and turbo back exhaust). I don't KNOW what kind of power/torque I'll be running, but I don't want to be "dancing on the edge of the volcano".

I found the following in an Audi tech letter:

"As for engine tweaks, currently due to the limitations of the DSG transmission most tuners arenÂ't developing any performance options for the TT 3.2. AMD Technik in the UK (www.auto-amd.com) has developed three levels of tuning, from a simple ECU upgrade which provides an additional 15 hp all the way up to a 300 hp Stage III which includes an ECU upgrade, Milltek exhaust and cams. The torque levels are limited to protect the DSG transmission. Advanced Motorsport Solutions (AMS) (www.advancedmotorsport.com) also has programming available which will produce up to a 15 hp increase over stock. Please note that it isnÂ't that the DSG canÂ't handle the extra hp and torque, but the DSGÂ's programming is such that it will reduce power levels if it senses the torque levels have exceeded specified parameters."

Link for above follows (look about halfway down the page):

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/techletters/0000ec_audi_tech_letters_3/

I think the OP asked if anyone had any experience, personal or vicarious, with DSG's fragging because of torque overload. I've even looked for DSG performace upgrades online and through various local tuner shops. Nothing...

Any addtional input appreciated.

Best Regards

·
Registered
280 Posts
I know companies are developing packages to bulk up the DSG right now (i.e. better clutches, etc.). I've heard both stories--1.) software issue 2.) mechanical limitations. It's a relatively new technology, so give it some time. I think that's pretty much the best anyone can do at this point. On that note, I can't wait to see all the new performance mods that get developed for the MKV in the next few years ;D. It's like waiting for Christmas.

·
Registered
245 Posts
There is a software limit built in. There are software limits built into many of the components.

Would I want them to get around it so I can get more power? Nah... DSG at this point isn't the best for cars you plan on modifying heavily to gain a ton of power.

That said, the performance shops around here have told me there isn't much worry and that they push over the limit all the time. But I wouldn't do that on my daily driver. But I don't care if it limits peak torque, I don't see it very often. I'd rather have a wider power band and more power at lower RPMs.

As FastAddict also said, as time goes on there are more packages being developed to strengthen the DSG. But that said, has anyone seen a story yet of someone blowing their DSG with power? I haven't read one yet so it must be rare if any.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to assume that I'll be safe with the mods I've described above if I don't get on it everytime I leave a stoplight. If a performance upgrade for the DSG comes along later, I can work with that if I want (need?) to. Meanwhile, I think I'm going with the DSG. I love the paddle shifters and the performance gain, even if at the expense of having no third pedal.

Best Regards

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I have a DSG and I want to eventually (in about a year or so) put in the APR chip. According to their website, they have about 262HP with 303 lbs/ft. torque. I don't want to "overload" the tranny or make my car break down. Is this a safe mod to make in the future?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Completely safe, if the R32 can handle it, then our cars can handle it. I'm going to get chip, intake and exhaust this summer and I definitely think the DSG can handle it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
nitroburn said:
There is a software limit built in. There are software limits built into many of the components.

Would I want them to get around it so I can get more power? Nah... DSG at this point isn't the best for cars you plan on modifying heavily to gain a ton of power.

That said, the performance shops around here have told me there isn't much worry and that they push over the limit all the time. But I wouldn't do that on my daily driver. But I don't care if it limits peak torque, I don't see it very often. I'd rather have a wider power band and more power at lower RPMs.

As FastAddict also said, as time goes on there are more packages being developed to strengthen the DSG. But that said, has anyone seen a story yet of someone blowing their DSG with power? I haven't read one yet so it must be rare if any.
yeah dsg is a relatively new technology soo i wouldn't trust putting too much power thru it.....just my opinion...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts