My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to become a future GTI owner. The DSG is very enticing but I just have some general questions. Forgive me if any of the these are found in the driving manual b/c I don't have one yet, lol.
1. Is it better to lift off the gas every time you upshit/downshift?
2. Is it ok to switch from D-mode to S-mode and/or manual mode at any speed?

3. Random ? - is launch control just another name for traction control which comes standard on the GTI?

Appreciate the responses .. its been a long time since I've had a vdub and I can't wait!! 8)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I personally have shifted in both ways,with foot on or off the gas pedal. I does not matter. Seems to be ok with no problems. It's also ok to switch from D to S or from D to manual while driving. It does not hurt anything. Launch control is when you put your left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas and let the RPM's go to about 3000. Then you take your foot of the brake and go. It's ok. You do need to try it atleast once or twice. Only works in S-mode or manual mode. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
1HOTGTI said:
Launch control is when you put your left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas and let the RPM's go to about 3000. Then you take your foot of the brake and go. It's ok. You do need to try it atleast once or twice. Only works in S-mode or manual mode. Hope this helps.
Don't forget to turn of the ESP.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
vwfan19 said:
I'm looking to become a future GTI owner. The DSG is very enticing but I just have some general questions. Forgive me if any of the these are found in the driving manual b/c I don't have one yet, lol.
1. Is it better to lift off the gas every time you upshit/downshift?
2. Is it ok to switch from D-mode to S-mode and/or manual mode at any speed?

3. Random ? - is launch control just another name for traction control which comes standard on the GTI?

Appreciate the responses .. its been a long time since I've had a vdub and I can't wait!! 8)
1- Sit back and let it do it's thing...
2- Expect to go down a gear or two when you hit S- it depends on your speed.
3- Launch control (see above) does not use traction control. It basically spools the turbo for you and give you some good torque upon releasing the brake pedal and keeps the engine at about 3K RPMS.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1HOTGTI said:
Yeah ESP off. I forgot to mention that one. I always turn it off when I get in my Fast.
Are you sure you want to do that? Doesn't the ESP act a a 'safety net' and help the car stay on it's intended course, even if you encounter adverse conditions? I can see turning it off for hard launches or at the track, though ...

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
psyclone said:
1HOTGTI said:
Yeah ESP off. I forgot to mention that one. I always turn it off when I get in my Fast.
Are you sure you want to do that? Doesn't the ESP act a a 'safety net' and help the car stay on it's intended course, even if you encounter adverse conditions? I can see turning it off for hard launches or at the track, though ...
I've lanched twice- and other than wheel spin- the car tracked straight. I don't know if I would switch it off at the track, but I have tried to get it to fail in adverse conditions and the folks who designed it, did a nice job.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's all personal preference. For the 1st month or so I drove with it on all the time. Now I turn it off because I like the way the car handles with out it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
if you launch with ESP on the car will dog out the whole and go pretty slow. ESP makes the wheels spin as little as possible and will cause CRAZY wheel hop and a possible broken axle from it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
It depends on how you feel like driving at any particular time. When you're still getting acquainted with your new car, and when just cruising, use ESP. But, if you want to get the best performance from your car, turn of the ESP and start driving; gradually work into it until you start to feel the edge of the car's handling envelope. Be safe of course.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I drove an auto for about a year and a half before I got my GTI. Even with the automatic, I still had a good idea what gear I was in; of course, that was a 4-speed.

·
Registered
842 Posts
BlueFrogPosse said:
I drove an auto for about a year and a half before I got my GTI. Even with the automatic, I still had a good idea what gear I was in; of course, that was a 4-speed.
I have only driven manuals. When I test drove the DSG I found myself a bit confused on the down shifts - kinda not knowing how many more down shifts were left. I probably would've gotten used to it, but it wasn't as intuitive as I had hoped. We opted for the 6 speed in the end, but I am still intrigued by the technology and enjoyed it more on the up shifts.

·
Registered
108 Posts
DSG is all personal preference. I had a Lancer EVO 8 for about 4 months before it was totalled that was 5-speed manual. The only thing I miss is how exilerating it was to drive. It gave me butterflys in my stomach because of how powerful it was. DSG tranny I love. It gives you the best of both worlds. I'll never go back to manual again.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
1HOTGTI said:
DSG is all personal preference. I has a Lancer EVO 8 for about 4 months before it was totalled that was 5-speed manual. The only thing I miss is how exilerating it was to drive. It gave me butterflys in my stomach because of how powerful it was. DSG tranny I love. It gives you the best of both worlds. I'll never go back to manual again.
A few bucks and you'll have more fun than the EVO without a big tail on the back >:D

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
1HOTGTI said:
That's why I bought the GTI. All the upgrade capabilities. Plus this is my 1st German car. I think I'm hooked. :eek:
Same here... and I SWORE I was gonna keep it stock >:D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.