Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone in here with a DSG MkV destroyed the tranny yet? Appx. how much power is everyone making? I'm looking to have a clear idea of what the DSG is capable of putting to the tarmac.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If you have the money ... HPA has a DSG upgrade that can handle as much power as they can build into the car ( roughly 575 HP ) but if you are keeping the DSG stock, then a TBE, CHIP & Intake are still well within the capabilities of the DSG.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
The golden 300HP is limited by software, HPA and a few others have been able to "hack" the software controlling the DSG.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see, so TOE, you think it'll handle the basic "big" mods? That's good to hear.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I see, so TOE, you think it'll handle the basic "big" mods? That's good to hear.
From what i have read, there is no reason you can get a TBE, Chip, Intake, Pulleys, Forge DV, and other airflow mods and be just fine with the stock DSG, start adding a bigger turbo or a twin and push the 300 hp barrier and you need to contact HPA to hack the software as dragon mentioned. but its more to it than that, when you reach that HP, i think beefed up internals will be a bigger problem than the DSG.

financially speaking.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
From what i have read, there is no reason you can get a TBE, Chip, Intake, Pulleys, Forge DV, and other airflow mods and be just fine with the stock DSG, start adding a bigger turbo or a twin and push the 300 hp barrier and you need to contact HPA to hack the software as dragon mentioned. but its more to it than that, when you reach that HP, i think beefed up internals will be a bigger problem than the DSG.

financially speaking.
Time for an LSD first. :)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
The "hack" has been really hush-hush since last year and I haven't seen much on the web about it.
Modifying the transmission control software seems to be a lil risky.

·
Registered
52 Posts
All they did was tell the TCM to give teh clutches more pressure.

Here are my thoughts on the DSG matter.

Torque not HP will kill a clutch. Thats why they rate clutches by ft/ln holding power. I think the DSG can handle well into the 300hp range before you get to the point where you have 350+ ft/l of torque.

As to the random Limited slip comments. You guys must not have driven a BT car before. With a bigger turbo that doesnt instantly spool up to full boost you loose that torque spike common with the k03 and k04 turbos. That means that when you dump the clutch off the line you have very little boost and torque builds smoothly as well as HP. That all equates to having less wheel spin than you had with teh tiny turbo that makes the car break loose at low rpms.

The Limited slip will still be useful but only for high RPM launches and hard tracking after a BT swap.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
All they did was tell the TCM to give teh clutches more pressure.

Here are my thoughts on the DSG matter.

Torque not HP will kill a clutch. Thats why they rate clutches by ft/ln holding power. I think the DSG can handle well into the 300hp range before you get to the point where you have 350+ ft/l of torque.
Supposedly the TCM is programmed to retard timing when the car reaches 300ft/lbs. The software mod is supposedly capable of setting the TCM to signal that 400ft/lbs is the max.
I agree that the DSG is probably capable of 350 ft/lbs- but anything above it and:eek: .

Per VW the same DSG is used in the R32 G2 as the MkV, which really limits you to improving the R32's power plant.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I dont think you entirely understood my point. BT setups rarely get into high 300's of torque. You can probably get 450hp before you break the torque limits of the DSG.

To make the transmission hold more power all you have to do is increase pressure or add friction material... So if HPA didnt add clutches they had to add pressure so pump pressure was jacked way up to make sure it held to the power.

Im gonna look into it more but I find it hard to believe that VW would choose to retard timing to save teh transmission. If you retard timing enough to significantly alter power and dont adjust eh fueling and boost maps you will wind up with insane backfire and post detonation. Seems like a bad idea to me. I can see them partially closing the throttle plate to prevent your lead foot from having any effect on power output... Its hard to make full power with half throttle.

But now for the giant told ya so...

Sport cars are not meant to be automatics.... I dont care how fast they shift.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I dont think you entirely understood my point. BT setups rarely get into high 300's of torque. You can probably get 450hp before you break the torque limits of the DSG.

To make the transmission hold more power all you have to do is increase pressure or add friction material... So if HPA didnt add clutches they had to add pressure so pump pressure was jacked way up to make sure it held to the power.

Im gonna look into it more but I find it hard to believe that VW would choose to retard timing to save teh transmission. If you retard timing enough to significantly alter power and dont adjust eh fueling and boost maps you will wind up with insane backfire and post detonation. Seems like a bad idea to me. I can see them partially closing the throttle plate to prevent your lead foot from having any effect on power output... Its hard to make full power with half throttle.

But now for the giant told ya so...

Sport cars are not meant to be automatics.... I dont care how fast they shift.
do u think i tshould handle this kit
http://goapr.com/VW/products/stage3_trans20t.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah but can your wallet? Thats way too much for a kit like that.

As long as you drive like i demonstrated in my "How to Drive" thread I'm guessing it would last. It definately wont last as long as it would have stock because, like brakes, clutches are wear devices. But it should hold up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
yea i don't plan on getting that kit any time soon but i want to save up my money and get it and by then the price should drop but theres no point of saving all that money to get it and put it and blow my trans

·
Registered
52 Posts
I dont like to push companies but I would stay far away from all things APR. That company seems to put out WAY overpriced products that barely preform to market standards or underperform. They stay in buisness by spending all that money everyone pays them to advertise everywhere. They just irk me with thier fanboys and nutswingers who constantly promote APR and bash other companies regardless of whether is tuning, software, suspension, or turbos. Its a dirty way to run a buisness.

Honestly the best kit on the market is probably the ATP kit... Just wait on some tuning options to come out standalone from a proprietary kit. The only difference is the manifold and you can always swap it out later on if you still want more power, when more aftermarket starts hitting the streets.

·
Registered
205 Posts
yea i am not all about the APR cause i heard they used low grade parts alot of time and say they used high grade parts but i was just wondering new kit could be handled by dsg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts