Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2007 GTI. I bought the car for very specific reasons after I had become a paraplegic. I have driven the car with a set of temporary hand controls. These controls are frowned upon in the US. I am looking to go with a permanent set of controls. They mount on the left side of the center council. The controls I am getting already cost $2600 just for the controls. What I am looking to do is to pull one of the controls for the dsg most likely from the steering wheel and incorporate it into the handle for the hand controls. I have to have one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on the controls at all times so I am looking to incorporate the manual mode into my right hand on the actual control. The hand controls are called MENOX hand controls. They are the best of the best when it comes to a mechanical set of controls. What I am looking for is a diagram for the paddle shift so i can wire it into a 3 way switch. If someone can help me out on that I would be forever greatful. For Mobility Works or any other distributor to incorporate this idea it would be an extra grand out of my pocket. This is a video in a G35 coupe that I am planning to use. Any help to save me cash is a good thing for me. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
There's a hit near me who is almost fully paralized and his set up is pretty unique. He also races the car

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey there,

I also am a paraplegic and I own a 2006 GTI with DSG. My hand controls cost me $905 but they were the basic models that mount underneath the steering column to the left side just below the cruise. The set up has worked very well for me even with a left hand with very little function and I've enjoyed using the paddle and stick shift! Just takes a little getting used to and some fast fingering :p but in general I've had no problems or ever felt unsafe behind the wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts