Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering if driving with your traction control off at high speeds is a bad idea? i drive around with it off all the time because my dealership i bought my car from gives free tires for the life of the car so sometime i just drive around with it off. just wondering if i am hurtting anything doing this. thanks ::)

·
Registered
110 Posts
thedudes said:
i was just wondering if driving with your traction control off at high speeds is a bad idea? i drive around with it off all the time because my dealership i bought my car from gives free tires for the life of the car so sometime i just drive around with it off. just wondering if i am hurtting anything doing this. thanks ::)
Careful about those deals.... let me guess Eastcoast Automall.... that is a gimmick. They will replace it but there needs to be some sort of defect or accident but if u think that you driving fast everywhere u go is gonna be covered easily ... think twice... i had a bubble in my tire b/c of a "pothole" and even though they said the wheel coverage covers ANYTHING it took me like 2 weeks to get it replaced. first they have to contact the INDEPENDANT company that covers ur wheel. and then they get the ok. then if the service DEPT can't contact the tire place u have to wait and wait... It might work differently for you but it was an arm and a leg for me. good luck

·
Registered
749 Posts
Where I live I don't have to pay for utilities. Does that mean I should leave the water running 24/7? I find myself wondering if you think the traction control would be hurting anything if you were to leave it on. It is a bad idea to turn it off if you don't know how to drive. Then again, it's a bad idea to drive at high speeds if you don't know how to drive. In fact, if you actually don't know how to drive, please get off the road. As far as hurting the car; no, leaving it off is not going to do anything to the car (except the tires you apparently don't care about). Now if you drive around like an asshole to the point that free tires actually makes the difference in this decision, I'd say you're probably hurting your car to the tune of blown struts, warped brake rotors, and, if applicable, a very smelly clutch. However, having the traction control off isn't bad for your GTI.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was not saying i do it all the time at ever stop but yes every now and then i turn it off and spin the tires a little and forget to turn it back on so i was just making sure that it will not hurt anything by doing this like the motor or trans. and it is nice to have the peice of mind that if my tires go that i can just get a free pair whenever i want. but that does not mean i drive like a idiot all the time i just like to spin them every now and than i never had a fast car like this and its fun >:D but i only do it when the time is right and i do it at my work most of the time were no one is even around

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can relate to having a fast car... this is my 1st car EVER... I am 26 and i decided my first car better be something i love... after this car i don't care if wifey makes me get a minivan for a family car... We will always remember out first....

I digress... i wanted to make a better example of why NOT to spin your tires bald and think they are "covered" under warranty. If your tires are worn and u only have 1000 miles on your car then they obviously won't think it is "normal" wear and tear... they might give you a hard time in getting them replaced... I am sure everyone can agree with me here when i say make friends with your "service department" I made buddy buddy with the main service guy at my dealer and he has done Vag-com for free for me... AND is modder friendly. Bring the guys some Dunkin Donut Munchkins or pizza one day and they will always help you out. Just be careful with those FREE for Life deals... i know EastCoast Automall gives u free oil change BUT u still have to pay for the maintenance service. and their "Auto Detailing" is nothing more than a regular wash and interior vacuum. damn the "fine print"

·
Registered
749 Posts
thedudes said:
i was not saying i do it all the time at ever stop but yes every now and then i turn it off and spin the tires a little and forget to turn it back on so i was just making sure that it will not hurt anything by doing this like the motor or trans. and it is nice to have the peice of mind that if my tires go that i can just get a free pair whenever i want. but that does not mean i drive like a idiot all the time i just like to spin them every now and than i never had a fast car like this and its fun >:D but i only do it when the time is right and i do it at my work most of the time were no one is even around
In that case, you shouldn't worry about it one bit. In fact, welcome to life with a GTI.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for answering my question, and i just wanted to say i take very good care of my gti. sorry if the first post made it seem like i am a crazy driver had the car for 5 months now and tires still have full tread on them :) and it will stay like that for a while i was just courious

·
Registered
556 Posts
I turn it off only when I want to launch fast, which isn't alot. I thought about driving with it off, but that just makes me feel like I'll be wasting money by not using an option that I paid for, not to mention a safety feature. (I don't think it's actually an option, but it is in my mind)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do they even make them with out the mirrors?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
The ESP works well at high speed. I tested last weekend during an almost panic stop. The back end started to come around and the ESP kicked in and worked well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts