Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While commuting home tonight, I happened upon a MkIV GTI and an R32 on my route. They were both just grueling through traffic, like me. They were over one lane with one car in-between them. That car pulled out, so I pulled in front of them, a beautiful group of 3 black GTIÂ’s in a row.

After a short while, traffic thinned a bit, and I think the R wanted to play, pulling out from behind to the side. We all started to jump around each other looking for an open to get ahead. Still heavy traffic, so nothing crazy, but that sure does make the commute go by faster! Ultimately the R32 found a hole that let him get a good lead (of course), but it was all fun.

Shortly after, the R was long gone, and the MkIV took a quick exit next to me. We were not going 130, just freeway speeds (plus maybe a little bit), but it was a lot of fun, and I waved as we parted.

Anyone else have a good time on the road, not being stupid, but enough to be entertaining, with other VWÂ’s?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
deviltailedfast said:
Anyone else have a good time on the road, not being stupid, but enough to be entertaining, with other VWÂ's?
Absolutely! My son and I play "slug bug" in the car. We don't hit each other, but have developed a point system.

1 point : new bug
2 points: old bug
3 points: slug bus/micro bus

3 point bonuses: An orange VW... also a color combo of red white and blue= +3

10 points: VW "thing" and the pickup up version of the microbus.

So last week my son says "orange V-dub!!!"

I said where?!?!?!? he pointed out a Fahrenheit. ;)

So we are are going to start counting GTIs we spot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dragon said:
10 points: VW "thing" and the pickup up version of the microbus.
Good to see you are helping to develop a love for the VW's! But by now, a Thing should be worth around 50 points? I've seen maybe 2 in the last 10 years. And as to the microbus pickup, that's worth a stupid amount of points I can't even imagine... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
857 Posts
deviltailedfast said:
I've seen maybe 2 in the last 10 years. And as to the microbus pickup, that's worth a stupid amount of points I can't even imagine... :D
Working at the dealership, I saw two in one day. And there's a microbus pickup that lives right down the street from me. :) You see it all here in Dallas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
I had a buddy who owned a yellow bus. I drive with GTIs / R32 whenever I see them. A quick flash of the high beams...and bam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,629 Posts
i have not raced an R32 but out of all the GTI's i raced i only lost one race (i had him in my car for like 5 hard passes and then he got in his car to race me, kind of lame but whatever) funny thing is he has more mods now and i raced him again and he couldnt keep up :). he was pretty mad but it was funny hah. i went infront of an MKIV and IS300 and drove slowly while they were at a red light and then GUNNED it out of the whole. they were coming up on my ass at around 60 while i was going about 30 waiting for them haha. i hit it and lost both of them :). is300 was annihilated the MKIV actually uhng around until about 80.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,926 Posts
i get the golf III that want to race in dead of traffic and it is really anoying cause they are nice cars and run good but they just want to race in traffic never want to take it on the autobahn :'( :mad: :( ;D >:D. than you got the polos the should be just put to sleep. but i have seen alot of the Golf Vs they are all owned by old people lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
I only saw 1 microbus in person my whole life. it lived down the street from me when i lived in lake Havasu for a year. lots of ppl have the VW thing, VW dune buggys, VW sand rails, and nice old school VW bugs in Havasu. i forgot i had a VW dune buggy in lake havasu when i was 13. that was my first car i need to add it my sgnature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GTI guy said:
I only saw 1 microbus in person my whole life. it lived down the street from me when i lived in lake Havasu for a year. lots of ppl have the VW thing, VW dune buggys, VW sand rails, and nice old school VW bugs in Havasu. i forgot i had a VW dune buggy in lake havasu when i was 13. that was my first car i need to add it my sgnature.
That's funny because my dad owned 2 microbusses alone. A '61 23 ragtop (I wanted to restore it, but he sold it, grrr :eek: ) and a '67 12 Volt conversion with Alaska heater.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
deviltailedfast said:
GTI guy said:
I only saw 1 microbus in person my whole life. it lived down the street from me when i lived in lake Havasu for a year. lots of ppl have the VW thing, VW dune buggys, VW sand rails, and nice old school VW bugs in Havasu. i forgot i had a VW dune buggy in lake havasu when i was 13. that was my first car i need to add it my sgnature.
That's funny because my dad owned 2 microbusses alone. A '61 23 ragtop (I wanted to restore it, but he sold it, grrr :eek: ) and a '67 12 Volt conversion with Alaska heater.
A '63 microbus pulled up next to me in traffic today- he had his front windows open... I said pointing to his windows- "I like your air conditioning!"... turns out he just bought the bus and is working to restore it ;D
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top