Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so I'm new to this, but I just need to sincere advice for a down pipe on my gti mk4. I have an apr stg 1 chip on it, and an injen short ram intake. I heard the obx downpipe from ebay is a bang for your buck. Will it be worth getting that or should I wait until I have the money for a name brand such as apr downpipe? Keep in mind I'm in college so I'm ballin on a budget! Haha. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you're going to keep the cat, which I would, I like the idea of the Autotech unit. Compared to some of the other brands of DP that use a ceramic cat which are prone to failure, the OE cat is all metal and more durable. The Autotech DP is designed for you to have the OE cat welded on to their 2.5" DP.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
what is the point of getting a bigger DP if you are going to restrict it with an OEM cat?

If you are on a budget then get ebay DP

but i will always think that the 42DD down pipe is better and has a great company backing up their product

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
what is the point of getting a bigger DP if you are going to restrict it with an OEM cat?

but i will always think that the 42DD down pipe is better and has a great company backing up their product
This

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just because it's OEM doesn't mean it doesn't flow. Although I haven't seen any data one way or the other. You still open it up by welding on the the new DP at a point along the taper of the cat that gets you a 2.5" opening.

And if it's value that you want, a metal cat is going to last longer than a ceramic.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Just because it's OEM doesn't mean it doesn't flow. Although I haven't seen any data one way or the other. You still open it up by welding on the the new DP at a point along the taper of the cat that gets you a 2.5" opening.

And if it's value that you want, a metal cat is going to last longer than a ceramic.
The point of getting a downpipe is for the larger diameter piping, the stock cat is restrictive in size.

42 Draft Designs offers a warranty on their parts. Their cats aren't ceramic, they're stainless. You can however get them ceramic coated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As far as a downpipe goes, it won't be restriced with an OEM cat. A downpipe kit, comes with either a high flow cat, or a test pipe aka cat delete pips. Go on www.ebay.com type in Godspeed 1.8t DP. It's 6061 SS metal. That is a common and quality metal for exhaust pipes. It's $90. It comes with everything you need. I will suggest go to your local autoparts store after purchase and get new gaskets, the gaskets they include are pretty cheap, along with the bolts/nuts, I reccommend getting a higher grade. The best part of this downpipe is the test pipe is reduced, from 3" to the OEM 2.25" so you can reclamp it to your OEM exhuast pipe until you can afford that. Best budget/performance DP on the market.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I personally am running a no name DP that I bought for $50 without the test pipe portion from a member on another forum and never had an issue with it that wasn't my fault - cat efficiency code with a high flow cat...I wonder why o_O. I have read of others having issues with both no name and name brand DPs due to the location of the 02 bung causing a code to be thrown. If I'm not mistaken there is a company that relocated the bung but the name escapes me at the moment. In my personal opinion I would recommend a cat be added because running without one can and will make you nauseous if you sit in an area too long without sufficient air flow such as a stop light or in your garage while the vehicle warms up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts