Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've added this board so members can ask direct questions to VW salespeople. Here's a few do's and don'ts.

Don'ts:
  • No Spamming
  • No Flaming of any kind. When a salesperson comes onto a forum, they open theirselves up to cheap shots. Cheap shots will not be permitted.
  • No posting prices or soliciting sales on this forum. If your dealership is interested in sponsorship please contact me.

Do's
  • Salespeople are allowed to post their contact information, dealership name, and area
  • Post accurate information. Build your reputation and members will seek you out
  • Ask quality questions, no - "How much over invoice will you sell it". Negotiation should be done somewhere other than this board.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a serious question for a salesman: Why did you need a $20 bill from me to start negotiating price?

After the test drive I went in to the tiny office to start talking about options and prices and such. They had one on the lot that I liked and we started talking about that one. The sales guy comes into the room with a number that was ridiculeous so I wrote down another number for him to take back to his manager. He says that before he does he needs a check for $500 for a deposit or down payment or something. I told him that I wasn't planning on financing it. So he says he needs something to show I'm serious since I wasn't trading anything (because he couldn't hold my keys hostage) So he asks for $20.
So I say "You want $20?"
"Yes"
"Out of my wallet?"
"Yes"
"Right now."
"Yes"
"A $20 bill from my wallet right now before you'll go take that offer to the manager?"
"Yes"
So I get out bill and give it to him, and we go on our merry way settling on a price. When it gets down to just about the final number I ask whatever happened to my $20
He says "Oh you want your $20 back?"
"Yes, I want you to write it down"
"You want me to write it in the contract?"
"Oh Yes"
So he writes down the final price + my $20 bill and he comes back with the contract and my $20 bill.

So I ask any salesmen out there in all seriousness: What the hell was that all about? That was the most ridiculous thing that's ever happened to me at a car lot. Is that a standard thing that you do? If so, why? It completely destroyed his credibility with me. Had that not been the only VW dealership in town and they happened to have exactly what I wanted on the lot I would have walked out of there right then.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I financed the car myself, so as far as the dealer was concerned I payed cash, but I still had to put down a $500 deposit to order the car.

I can understand that the dealer would want something to show that you're serious about buying the car and won't walk if he brings down the price.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mightytightywhitey said:
I have a serious question for a salesman: Why did you need a $20 bill from me to start negotiating price?

After the test drive I went in to the tiny office to start talking about options and prices and such. They had one on the lot that I liked and we started talking about that one. The sales guy comes into the room with a number that was ridiculeous so I wrote down another number for him to take back to his manager. He says that before he does he needs a check for $500 for a deposit or down payment or something. I told him that I wasn't planning on financing it. So he says he needs something to show I'm serious since I wasn't trading anything (because he couldn't hold my keys hostage) So he asks for $20.
So I say "You want $20?"
"Yes"
"Out of my wallet?"
"Yes"
"Right now."
"Yes"
"A $20 bill from my wallet right now before you'll go take that offer to the manager?"
"Yes"
So I get out bill and give it to him, and we go on our merry way settling on a price. When it gets down to just about the final number I ask whatever happened to my $20
"Oh Yes"
So he writes down the final price + my $20 bill and he comes back with the contract and my $20 bill.

So I ask any salesmen out there in all seriousness: What the hell was that all about? That was the most ridiculous thing that's ever happened to me at a car lot. Is that a standard thing that you do? If so, why? It completely destroyed his credibility with me. Had that not been the only VW dealership in town and they happened to have exactly what I wanted on the lot I would have walked out of there right then.
This is very old school. :( The desk manager is wanting the salesman to show control over the customer. If you ever have a salesman ask you for something in order to get figures, get up and leave. This is not someplace you want to do business at. I can understand having a customer okay that he intends on purchasing now, as this gives the salesman leverage with dealing with the desk manager. You will always have a better chance at getting the "best" deal when they believe you are ready to purchase now. They loose the control if you start to walk.

·
Registered
398 Posts
mightytightywhitey said:

After the test drive I went in to the tiny office to start talking about options and prices and such. They had one on the lot that I liked and we started talking about that one. The sales guy comes into the room with a number that was ridiculuos so I wrote down another number for him to take back to his manager. He says that before he does he needs a check for $500 for a deposit or down payment or something. I told him that I wasn't planning on financing it. So he says he needs something to show I'm serious since I wasn't trading anything (because he couldn't hold my keys hostage) So he asks for $20.
So I say "You want $20?"
"Yes"
"Out of my wallet?"
"Yes"
"Right now."
"Yes"
"Yes"
"Oh Yes"

I put down $500 after negotiating a price via the internet since the purchasing dealer was out of town. I feel this practice is fair since it is fully refundable if you choose not to purchase the car.

The $20 is just ridiculous. Between that and the problems you're having getting the 18" wheels installed is nuts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
that is disrespect.......you should have walked out
zulu said:
mightytightywhitey said:

After the test drive I went in to the tiny office to start talking about options and prices and such. They had one on the lot that I liked and we started talking about that one. The sales guy comes into the room with a number that was ridiculuos so I wrote down another number for him to take back to his manager. He says that before he does he needs a check for $500 for a deposit or down payment or something. I told him that I wasn't planning on financing it. So he says he needs something to show I'm serious since I wasn't trading anything (because he couldn't hold my keys hostage) So he asks for $20.
So I say "You want $20?"
"Yes"
"Out of my wallet?"
"Yes"
"Right now."
"Yes"
"Yes"
"Oh Yes"

·
Registered
690 Posts
mightytightywhitey said:
I had a guy do that to me at a Ford dealership a few years back. He told me that I should give him something to prove I was serious and suggested I hand over some cash. I told him I don't carry cash, then he asked me what I thought I should give him. I suggested an ascended testicle or two. He tattle on me to the manager and the manager asked me to leave.

Apparently they frown on threats of physical violence in that particular family of dealerships...

·
Registered
89 Posts
The car industry is so competitive that most dealerships will do whatever it takes to earn business. My attitude when I walk into a dealership is, its my money and I will get what I want (obviously within reason) or I walk. And it works. They always try to sucker money out of the customer, because the down payment goes right into their pocket (the dealerships, not the salesmans, at least not all of it). So many people are intimidated when buying a car that they give in to the what the dealership wants. And salesmen know this. They also know that when a customer is sold on a car, some will take whatever deal is thrown at them. I have sold cars in the past, and I quit because of the mercenary policies that were enforced. I feel bad screwing people, plus its bad karma.

Dont be afraid to be an ass when negotiating a car deal. Take charge of YOUR money and if you dont like what you hear, walk.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I sell cars for a living and I've seen it all from the salesperson point of view. Lemme tell ya we don't walk in the door each morning thinking 'who can I screw today'. Just like everyone else we have bills to pay and a family to support and we are here trying to earn enough money to have a decent month. Since we are on commision and not salary we usually think of our budgets in terms of what we make each month. Most buyers today are well educated before they ever even walk in the door. You aren't gonna 'pull the wool' over someones eyes nowadays and make a $500 commision. Most new car commisions are way below that thanks to the small markups in new cars and the aggresive discounting and competition today. The $20 deposit mentioned in one earlier post was pretty old school but I guarantee you the saleperson was doing it that way because the management dictated he do it that way. I'm quite sure he would have rather just worked the deal without all that $20 deposit mumbo jumbo. That being said, yes I am sure he wanted to know if you were really ready to proceed if the pricing and the car was right. There is nothing worse than taking the time to present a car, demo drive a car, sit down and write up a offer and then have the customer say .. lemme think about it ... I'm just shopping around. So there are valid reasons for the salesperson to want to know if you are serious. Just remember the procedures used during the process of the sale are always dictated by the dealership managers. The salesperson is just trying to follow the rules (even when he doesn't agree with them) If you have a problem with something being asked of you by the salesperson you might as well ask to see the manager as you can be assured its coming directly from him (not the salesperson)

·
Registered
79 Posts
10bv01 said:
pay cash and you'll get whatever deal you want, dealers love it when people pay cash.
Actually dealers hate it when you pay cash. The finance manager REALLY hates it. When you pay cash they have no opportunity to make anything on the financing and its usually harder to get a cash buyer to buy anything (like extended warranties, GAP protection etc) than it is a financing customer.

·
Registered
857 Posts
sure, the dealership won't profit from the interest if it were to have been financed, however dealerships benefit when they have all the money at once for the car, it's money in the bank for them.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Most dealers lose money on the financing with the 0% financing and other ridiculously low rates. My parents have dealer financing on their van at 0% but the actual loan goes through a major bank and the dealer pays the interest.

I think where it is really beneficial to them though is that if you need to get the financing through them you have much less bartering power. The customer also is more likely to spring for all sorts of options as someone mentioned. I also suspect dealers somehow have more ability to offer discounts when it is financed. When I bought my car I had to get financing to get an extra $500 off, so I got the financing and payed it off after one month (I already had set up financing thru the bank I work for). When my parents bought their van they wanted to pay cash but the dealer didn't want to sell at the price they wanted to pay and actually showed them that they would take a loss, however they were able to settle on that price if they financed it at 0%. That kinda makes no sense, but maybe the corporation absorbs the loss instead of the dealership when the car is discounted and then financed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sup all,
First off this is 2006 not 1983; asking for money to seal or negotiate a price is a sure fire way to kill a deal. Im represent VW South in Charlotte NC and I always want to make a buyer happy. Two ways to do this is first getting the car they want, and second a price that works for them even if it means doing a 96 month financing. I will say this I just bought a GTI 2 days ago and I am deeply in love with it. If u want one get it; it will be the best $480 a month you will ever spend.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
DirtyGTI said:
Sup all,
First off this is 2006 not 1983; asking for money to seal or negotiate a price is a sure fire way to kill a deal. Im represent VW South in Charlotte NC and I always want to make a buyer happy. Two ways to do this is first getting the car they want, and second a price that works for them even if it means doing a 96 month financing. I will say this I just bought a GTI 2 days ago and I am deeply in love with it. If u want one get it; it will be the best $480 a month you will ever spend.
haha... yeah i love spendin that "$480" a month haha

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Not all of us can have our parents buy our cars for us and then take it in for repairs for us when bullies at school take a 9-iron to the headlights.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
i pay around 300 a month, 320ish including all the hazords and VW extra waranty things, for my VW in a 3 year lease.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.