Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just did the APR stage 1, along with the torque mount. It went badly at first-the car died, and it turned out to be a dead ECU. It was probably due to VW of Santa Monica not reinstalling properly after an update, and the shop (Euroworx) did the right thing and replaced it.
Anyway, the shop owner (Vic) offered the torque mount modification, but did warn me about potential vibration problems. The "vibration" was a horrible low frequency shudder, worst in reverse and at idle. I had him remove it when when the car went back to the shop, and all is well. DON'T DO THIS MOD WITH A DSG!!! IT RUINS THE CAR!!! The torque steer is still manageable without it.
BTW, I love the APR stage 1. I also replaced the stock brake lines with Neuspeed braided lines, and the pedal feel is much better, with new OEM pads. Vic talked me out of more expensive street performance pads, based on noise and dust. i also swapped the worn OEM tires (Continental) with Nitto Invo's, and really enjoy them. Tire Rack suggested much more expensive options, but Vic at Euroworx convinced me to go with these, at $160 per. I'm still a Tire Rack fan, but some of their choices were expensive overkill. i love my GTI, but it doesn't need the same rubber as a Ferrari 458.
For those of you in LA, I recommend Euroworx in Burbank. Even though I had problems, he made good, and actually suggested less-expensive pads and tires which I'm very happy with. Next? Maybe Stage II and rear antisway bars (if my wife doesn't find out). Not interested in aftermarket exhaust-my prior G35 sedan was too noisy after a Stillen catback.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Anyway, the shop owner (Vic) offered the torque mount modification, but did warn me about potential vibration problems. The "vibration" was a horrible low frequency shudder, worst in reverse and at idle. I had him remove it when when the car went back to the shop, and all is well. DON'T DO THIS MOD WITH A DSG!!! IT RUINS THE CAR!!! The torque steer is still manageable without it.
if you give it time, the mount will break in and won't vibrate as much. i did the same upgrade in my mkiv but poly mounts/bushings all behave similar. just fyi

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
if you give it time, the mount will break in and won't vibrate as much. i did the same upgrade in my mkiv but poly mounts/bushings all behave similar. just fyi
Truth. It takes around 500 miles for parts like this to break in and settle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He did warn me it could take up to 500 miles to loosen up. I just know myself, and it would have driven me crazy in the meantime. It literally felt like the car was going to shake itself to pieces every time I put it in reverse.
As for lost business, it was a $40 part on a $2000 overall job, with the ECU reflash, brakes, tires, alignment, new brake lines, brake system flush, etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got the BFI stage 2 torque arm insert when I went APR stage 1. But with a manual transmission it does not vibrate when stopped (car's in neutral). After a short time it broke in or I got used to the slight vibration on starts and reverse. It did totally shock me the 1st time I had to back up a steep hill. The car shuddered so violently it scared me! More than torque steer it almost completely eliminates wheel hop; and for this I like this mod. a lot. I can't speak for those with auto. trans., but I would recomend this to anyone with a manual transmission. You can get the Autotech metal insert for about $20 and the diy install is easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts