Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my United Gray 4-door GTI two weeks ago. I love the car. I had been driving a Jeep Wrangler since high school so it is a nice change to have a car with windows that roll down, as opposed to zipping down, and being able to stay dry when it rains. Although that car was sweet at the beach. Anyway, I have been going somewhat easy on the car, not knowing for a fact if the engine break-in thing is necessary or not. So I just get over 1,000 miles, it's early in the afternoon on a Saturday and I think what a great time to take it out on some open back roads and see what it's really capable of, but first I need gas. I am waiting at a gas station for a pump to open up, I see a guy pull away so I back up to grab it, then I take it out of reverse (it's a manual by the way) and go to put it into 1st to pull forward and it's a no go. The shifter is just plain screwed. Instead of sitting in the middle when in neutral (between 3rd and 4th) the shifter is hanging to the side, if i move it to the right, then it just stays to the right. I still have to push down on the shifter to go into reverse, but I no longer have to push down to go all the way to the left under reverse, so now I actually have to go back to the right a little to find 1st instead of just going all the way left and up. I am able to get it into first and I cautiously pull forward, car sounds fine, I get gas and drive the short distance home getting it into higher gears without much trouble. Try putting it into reverse, backing up some more, taking it out, nothing is fixing it, it is still hard to find gears and not shifting smoothly or returning to its neutral position. I call road side assistance and get it towed to the dealership. I have no idea what happened, and neither do they. It has been there a few days now and they replaced the gearbox but that didn't fix the problem, next step, a whole new transmission. Just thought I would share this interesting occurrence. Before anyone asks, yes I know how to drive a manual car, and have been driving them since I learned to drive, and was not doing anything out of the ordinary when the problem occurred. So for now I have to get around town in my base model Chevy Cobalt automatic. Getting a taste of what it is like to have a fast car only makes this harder to take. Oh well, I guess the roll-up windows in the Cobalt are still a step up from the zip-up windows in the Jeep.

Edit: The Cobalt is the loaner car they gave me, I didn't make that clear.

·
Registered
81 Posts
that's too bad, but sometimes things just break. this is a perfect example of the luxury of a full warranty. don't let it get you down, you'll have your FAST back very soon I hope. ;)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yeah man, very sorry to hear about that. I hope it all gets fixed soon. I think this is the first time anybody on this forum has had something like this happen. Trust me when I say that you'll LOVE having your car back after driving that Cobalt around. Let us know when it all gets fixed.

Good luck!

... and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, there weren't any weird sounds before it happened. I guess it was just a freak thing. The thing that made me mad was that I had to miss work for a day and wait two days to get a loaner. They couldn't give me a loaner until someone had a chance to look at it to make sure the problem was covered by warranty. Then he went on to explain how a lot of GTI's are abused from the start and things aren't covered by warranty. That just kinda made me think how they advertise that car as a fast car and encourage you to drive it as so and then accuse me of possibly "abusing" it, and I was hoping for a nicer loaner. I guess I am being picky, I just thought they would accommodate someone who purchased one of their cars two weeks prior a little better. Anyway, can't wait to get the car back, glad to be a part of the forum/owner's club, and I am done ranting.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
incubowski said:
Then he went on to explain how a lot of GTI's are abused from the start and things aren't covered by warranty. That just kinda made me think how they advertise that car as a fast car and encourage you to drive it as so and then accuse me of possibly "abusing" it, and I was hoping for a nicer loaner. I guess I am being picky, I just thought they would accommodate someone who purchased one of their cars two weeks prior a little better. Anyway, can't wait to get the car back, glad to be a part of the forum/owner's club, and I am done ranting.
Some dealerships are like that, I'm not too warm and fuzzy with my local dealer's service department, but I think they are not used to servicing performance cars (even though the GTI has been around a while). I think their bread and butter is the granny in a golf market.

If you plan on modding anything on your car- find a dealer who is "mod" friendly. I know of two other VW dealers I can take mine to, who have mechanics who drive GTI's and the like.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Ive got a Cobalt that will run circles around a GTI....It's got 300+ HP at the wheels. I'll post the dyno if moderator says I can.

Crap!! Who made DRAGON, 10bv01 AND GTFLY Moderators!!!!

OK, I'll post the dyno at 5:21pm next Tuesday if there is a lunar eclipse and planets Mercury and Venus are aligned. >:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ive got a Cobalt that will run circles around a GTI....It's got 300+ HP at the wheels. I'll post the dyno if moderator says I can.

OK, I'll post the dyno at 5:21pm next Tuesday if there is a lunar eclipse and planets Mercury and Venus are aligned. >:D
300 HP is dandy but unfortunately it's still a Cobalt. All dressed up but nowhere to go

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ive got a Sentra with 875 whp that has never lost. Its so fast, if it did ever lose it could travel back in time to put itself a car length ahead in any race.

Sorry that just never gets old....

·
Registered
35 Posts

Straight line, I think the Cobalt has a good chance of winning.

However, driving circles (which requires handling) would be a whole other story. ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
So I just got my United Gray 4-door GTI two weeks ago. I love the car. I had been driving a Jeep Wrangler since high school so it is a nice change to have a car with windows that roll down, as opposed to zipping down, and being able to stay dry when it rains. Although that car was sweet at the beach. Anyway, I have been going somewhat easy on the car, not knowing for a fact if the engine break-in thing is necessary or not. So I just get over 1,000 miles, it's early in the afternoon on a Saturday and I think what a great time to take it out on some open back roads and see what it's really capable of, but first I need gas. I am waiting at a gas station for a pump to open up, I see a guy pull away so I back up to grab it, then I take it out of reverse (it's a manual by the way) and go to put it into 1st to pull forward and it's a no go. The shifter is just plain screwed. Instead of sitting in the middle when in neutral (between 3rd and 4th) the shifter is hanging to the side, if i move it to the right, then it just stays to the right. I still have to push down on the shifter to go into reverse, but I no longer have to push down to go all the way to the left under reverse, so now I actually have to go back to the right a little to find 1st instead of just going all the way left and up. I am able to get it into first and I cautiously pull forward, car sounds fine, I get gas and drive the short distance home getting it into higher gears without much trouble. Try putting it into reverse, backing up some more, taking it out, nothing is fixing it, it is still hard to find gears and not shifting smoothly or returning to its neutral position. I call road side assistance and get it towed to the dealership. I have no idea what happened, and neither do they. It has been there a few days now and they replaced the gearbox but that didn't fix the problem, next step, a whole new transmission. Just thought I would share this interesting occurrence. Before anyone asks, yes I know how to drive a manual car, and have been driving them since I learned to drive, and was not doing anything out of the ordinary when the problem occurred. So for now I have to get around town in my base model Chevy Cobalt automatic. Getting a taste of what it is like to have a fast car only makes this harder to take. Oh well, I guess the roll-up windows in the Cobalt are still a step up from the zip-up windows in the Jeep.

Edit: The Cobalt is the loaner car they gave me, I didn't make that clear.
http://myfastgti.com/volkswagen/images/smilies/5822015413.gif

I still think you must of ripped the **** out of that car and its tranny in the break in period. Of course you are going to tell us that you were not doing anything out of the ordinary,and that you have been driving a stick since your first car. Okay well how do we know how old you are you can be 16 and still been through 2 or 3 cars and plain suck at driving a stick, or B.)you ripped the **** out of your tranny and car in that break in period and you like a moron wouldnt ask about a break in period? If you knew what you were doing in the first place you would know it needs to go through a 1000 mile break in on a brand new car and another thing you just suck ass at driving stick ****ed all the tranys in all the other cars and got a sports car thinking "hey maybe its easier to drive a sports car in stick probally ez as can be" But me I think you are just a plain moronic retard who doesnt know anything about cars,break in periods,driving stick. You ask me you should be driving that pos chevy cobalt. How do we know thats not your main car? I want to see proof of this car in your driveway, dont just take one of the pics off here or offf the net take a legit picture of it your driveway.[flame]

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts

I still think you must of ripped the **** out of that car and its tranny in the break in period. Of course you are going to tell us that you were not doing anything out of the ordinary,and that you have been driving a stick since your first car. Okay well how do we know how old you are you can be 16 and still been through 2 or 3 cars and plain suck at driving a stick, or B.)you ripped the **** out of your tranny and car in that break in period and you like a moron wouldnt ask about a break in period? If you knew what you were doing in the first place you would know it needs to go through a 1000 mile break in on a brand new car and another thing you just suck ass at driving stick ****ed all the tranys in all the other cars and got a sports car thinking "hey maybe its easier to drive a sports car in stick probally ez as can be" But me I think you are just a plain moronic retard who doesnt know anything about cars,break in periods,driving stick. You ask me you should be driving that pos chevy cobalt. How do we know thats not your main car? I want to see proof of this car in your driveway, dont just take one of the pics off here or offf the net take a legit picture of it your driveway.[flame]
LOL [fish] Dam Man Tell Us How U Really Feel About Him ;D

·
Registered
135 Posts
That def sucks dude.
I feel your pain. I got hit by a civic 2 weeks ago and I have a freaking EQUINOX for a rental. It is THEE worst vehicle I have ever driven. Everything is so cheap. I have no faith in American vehicles any more, ok maybe besides the new Camero. mmmmm

·
Registered
135 Posts

hahaha I'll be honest. I learned on my GTI. I learned in 2 days, the weekend I got my fast. I had an automatic neon, jetta, and outback; got sick of them and got serious and got the GTI. Learned stick..

no problems with the clutch, or stick or anything with the trans.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Dude, you're a jackass. The guy has a problem with his transmission and you try to crucify him? Also, please learn to type as that whole mess of a paragraph is one blur of redundant horse****.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.