Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight, I met my wife and kids in town for dinner. Then my wife's brother and I rode home in the FAST. My wife was ahead of us in the mini-van. A little dude tails my wife's van with his white neon and then pulls up next to her looking for some love. LOL. As I get closer, I see that his white neon has dual exhaust and a BLACK wing on the back that stands much taller than his roof line! Right then, something took over my body and I dropped into 3rd and blew by him. From 4-5 car lengths in front, I slow back down and drop into 2nd, giving him opportunity to pull up along side of me. ...he stays right where he is so I punch it again and leave him as a tiny spec in my mirror. So, we're just cruising along, I'm in 6th and doing about 50 and he comes rolling by me. I can't believe it. So, I wait for the next passing zone (country roads with no traffic) and pull up next to him in 4th gear. I wait for him to hit it, but he never does (or maybe he did, who could tell)... I drop the hammer one more time and he's gone for good. Hilarious. He turns off, not to be seen again.

...my first "kill" with the FAST. Just a little winged neon, but it was still fun. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol... I just couldn't believe someone would take the time and money to put a big ass ugly wing and dual pipes on a neon! And then to show off for my wife in her mini-van, with 2 kids in the back! ...it was definitely worth burning a little extra fuel. >:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Id be careful with "Neons" though cause around my way alot of people that have SRT-4' hae made it look like just a little neon with dual exhaust, one guy with a silver one has put the SXT wing on it and took off all the emblems saying SRT. So just be careful cause what may look like "a little neon" could be an SRT and stock for stock would destroy a fast, even a modded fast woul lose to a stock SRT and there are not many SRT's that are stock still

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really? An SRT would destroy a GTI? I guess I didn't think they were that fast. This one definitely had no lead in its pencil. It was just a punk kid with a big wing and dual exhaust. The SRTs are being replaced with the Calibre now right? What makes the SRTs so fast? I thought they were just an inline 2.0 4cyl too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
An SRT-4 would've owned you, even if you were chipped or not. Those things are fast, but the biggest POS out there. Still fast and I think it'd be pretty fun to drive and beat the hell out of.

·
Registered
68 Posts
They are fun 3 people i work with drive them, yes they are a big POS but a car that is capable of running mid 13's stock with the right driver is crazy to start with and the new Caliber is supposed to be able to run LOW 13'S STOCK so dont underestamate those big ugly things as they have about 300 hp and 260 ft/lbs, but they arent going to be released until spring 07 (the SRT version)

·
Registered
1 Posts
dgm said:
Really? An SRT would destroy a GTI? I guess I didn't think they were that fast. This one definitely had no lead in its pencil. It was just a punk kid with a big wing and dual exhaust. The SRTs are being replaced with the Calibre now right? What makes the SRTs so fast? I thought they were just an inline 2.0 4cyl too.
Just FYI: The SRT-4 is a 2.4L DOHC Turbo motor. I owned an 03 SRT-4 before my GTI, and by all means it was faster stock vs. stock. Stock the 03 & 04 SRT-4's run low 14's/high 13's. All depends on driver. The GTI will definitely outhandle the SRT-4 around cones or on a roadcourse, but the SRT-4 will dominate in a straight line.

BTW...the SRT-4 Caliber has not been released yet. The current Caliber is by no means a 13 sec. car. Currently you can get the Caliber with a 2.0 DOHC, 1.8 DOHC, or a 2.4 DOHC
(all-motor) engine. The current R/T Caliber has the 2.4 all motor DOHC and is all-wheel drive. Not a bad car, but personally I'd stick with my GTI.

But like juggalo mentioned...beware of the SRT-4 Caliber when and if it's released. It will be a mean little monster.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I can't believe they they're going to make a mean monster out of a Caliber. Those things look ridiculous!

·
Registered
68 Posts
dont let the looks of that thing fool you, personaly the caliber looks better in person than i pics but only in certain colors, and the release ate for the SRT version of the caliber is said to be spring of 2007

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree, the calibre is ugly, but I drove one while Dodge was changing the oil in my truck once and I have to say it wasn't bad to drive. Its no GTI, but it was a nice to drive.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Caliber or SRT-4? cause if it is a caliber you wil win with the current models out the SRT version of the caliber isnt due out until spring of 2007 that will be when the calibers are gonna be injected with steriods

·
Registered
556 Posts
You know what I want to do?

I want to get a Scion xB (the box one) and drop a turbocharged V8 engine in that thing with modded exaust, intake, etc., only changing things that you cant see from the outside. Then I'd just drive around kicking the shit out of other cars after they thought I was running stock.

Either the Scion xB or a Smart Two-Four. Probaly the Two-Four, cause I saw a video of one of those beating a Ferrari in a drag race.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The Scion xB is less aerodynamic than a brick wall, and tuned like a mail truck.

If one of those owned me in a race, I would just crash my car into the nearest pole, because I could never stand that level of humiliation.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts