Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright. i haven't purchased the rims but they are 20X8.5 with a +32 offset. they also are availible in a +20 offset. my question is will either one of these offsets fit with this size rim? also will the 255/30-20 tire fit into the wheel well? i know that some of you are gonna flame me for the term "DUB". i am just using the term to define size not a set of chrome 20s. http://www.edgeracing.com/wheel/5294/ this is a link to the actual wheel design. the reason that i ask is b/c i got 19s on my focus with no issues and now would like to fit something larger than 19s. thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
263 Posts
does my foot fit up ur ass?

how dare you try tossin dubs on the gti. if ur tryin to drop dubs, get a godamn impala

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey yee, blow me. some one just hatin to hate.

scottnashley. thanks for the info but i'm not sure if a 225 tire will fit on an 8.5 in wide rim. what about a 235 or 245, i know that those will fit on it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
seriously who would do that? maybe a dumb ass lol you have a German car not some ricer POS or some cadillac..if you wanted dubs go to ur local police auction buy the latest drug seized caddy for like 2k and buy u some 10k 24 inch dubs...there...also hating to hate? so he hates to hate? he loves instead? english please? maybe you should have said please stop making fun of my bad tastes!

·
Registered
263 Posts
GTIwagon said:
hey yee, blow me. some one just hatin to hate.

scottnashley. thanks for the info but i'm not sure if a 225 tire will fit on an 8.5 in wide rim. what about a 235 or 245, i know that those will fit on it.
i dunno what youre into, but ill pass on the whole blowing you thing. and im not hatin to hate, im just sayin, you dont toss 20s on a friggin gti. next ur gonna say its chrome.

however, i dont wanna get off the wrong foot with you. i didnt mean to offend you, but in my opinion, putting 20's on a volkswagen hatchback not only is gonna cause you to feel every bump on the road [as if the 18s already dont] but the tires are also going to be insanely thin, so youre gonna end up paying out the ass just for tires. i suggest going with 19s. itll look about the same and you wont have to worry as much about tires and comfort.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think the rims look pretty cool but I wouldn't do 20's. Maybe if it were a show car but not for an everyday driver and certainly not for racing. Those things are massively heavy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree, no 20s please.

That's just wrong!

19s would be the largest, but that would be after alot of suspension work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm gonna have to jump on the bandwagon here and say that 20's are probably not what you're going to want in the longrun.

Consider the only positive of 20 inch rims ........ they look sweet.

Now consider all the negatives ........ (1)The tires cost a fortune and (2)wear quickly b/c they're so thin, also (3) b/c they're so thin, they will have a tendancy to bend the rim alot easier, and (4) the ride quality will go down the shitter. Next, (5) the rims will be a whole lot heavier, and (6) the rotating mass will be farther from the center of the wheel causing a decrease in performance.

I also read somewhere (i think it was Road & Track) that the biggest size jump you should go when getting new rims is 2 inches larger than the smallest rim available stock on the car, so the biggest you should go on a gti is 19 inches, make sense?

Anyways, remember that it's YOUR car, and it comes down to what YOU want, not what others want .... after all thats the beauty of owning and modding your own ride......

·
Registered
49 Posts
yee said:
does my foot fit up ur ass?

how dare you try tossin dubs on the gti. if ur tryin to drop dubs, get a godamn impala
Dude, ease up on the caffeine. Look at the question, he wants to know if the rims will fit, not your opinion about looks or if he should put them on. Oh, and by the way, to keep from looking like a complete ass, when you plan on bitching at someone, it is more effective if you at least attempt to use correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

GTIwagon, the 255 tire would be way too wide, even a 235 would most likely require body mods, ie. fender rolling. There have been a few photos of German guys that have done 20's, so it is possible but maybe not with these rims.

If you love the rims, Edge Racing does also have them in 18x8 @ $153/ea. Just a thought

Good luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
225 30 20s can go as wide as 8.5s. the 235s can go to 9s and 245 255 10.5s you can stretch a tire like crazy. Just like many are stretching the 215s on a 19x8. But your rim will be sticking out over the tire for the nice curbs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
for all you clowns that can't read, it's not a chrome wheel for one and also i wasn't asking for your $.02. I was simply asking if a wheel this size with only a +32mm offset could fit on this car. I can clearly see that the three R's were not taught to some ppl.

to the rest that actually read and understood my post thank you for your answers.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Don't take this as criticism or 'hating', but I hope someone would please explain to me this desire to put huge wheels on a car like the GTI. I looked at the website posted above and I just don't get it. 19's are pushing the limits, but I could understand some sort of aesthetic there, but the 20's, in my opinion, just look horrible. I think they make the car look like a toy.

So anyone, please...why?

·
Registered
108 Posts
From selling rims over this last year i still dont get why people want bigger wheels than they need. Ive done a Honda Accord with 24s and a Sebring with 22s. They do look pretty cool most of the time (excluding the 24s on a Honda Accord). I think its more of a "i have bigger rims than you deal" O0 O0 O0 O0

1 - 18 of 18 Posts