Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an idea yesterday to vent the fog grilles myself instead of buying the one's that are partially vented. I'm also going to add a cosmetic touch once I get my rear over to VW for some paint. Stay tuned. This mod takes a LOT of patience! This is what I've accomplished in the last 45 minutes. DON'T open up every honeycomb piece! look behind the cover and you'll see a line running across it where the snaps are. Use that line as your cutting guide....otherwise, the bumper will be exposed behind the grille.

Tools so far:
1-very sharp and pointy knife (I'm using my Kershaw and it's slicing like butter)
1-lighter (there will be very small shards of plastic at the corners when you're done with each hole and the lighter "shrivels" them up great. Just be careful not to over heat and melt the plastic)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dragon said:
How you gonna scoop it towards the intake?
Well seeing as how I'm running Evoms right now, it's not needed. I've been contemplating the new AEM setup, but Evoms is good too even though it's not a true CAI. The venturi system they came up with is true physics at work (I just wish the spent they extra money for an extra foot of piping!

·
Registered
110 Posts
HOlLY ISH!!!! Thanks for the Idea... i know this will take tons of time but it is gonna be worht the time... great idea man!! Thanks!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
etapia said:
HOlLY ISH!!!! Thanks for the Idea... i know this will take tons of time but it is gonna be worht the time... great idea man!! Thanks!
Ur welcome...always lookin' 2 stand out.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've been thinking about doing this for some time now but I have been to lazy to start. My concern is that the grill won't be very strong once I cut out all the extras. I would like to reinforce it somehow on the back side so it doesn't show. Have you tried using a dremel? I've tried cutting plastic with my dremel and it tends to melt more than cut. After I see how yours turns out I'll probably be inspired to start mine.

Keep them pics coming!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MicMoor77 said:
I've been thinking about doing this for some time now but I have been to lazy to start. My concern is that the grill won't be very strong once I cut out all the extras. I would like to reinforce it somehow on the back side so it doesn't show. Have you tried using a dremel? I've tried cutting plastic with my dremel and it tends to melt more than cut. After I see how yours turns out I'll probably be inspired to start mine.

Keep them pics coming!
Yeah, it does play a lot on it's sturdiness, but there are some honeycombs that you can't cut out anyways cuz the clips are on the other side. There was one spot where my knife slipped and sliced right through one, so I'll have to bust out the super glue...no biggie. I'll have the driver's side done soon. I'm actually working on it right now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
why not just take a large drill bit and drill a hole in each honeycomb... should take about 10 mins and would allow some nice airflow...

What? you care about looks over functionality? then why did you buy a honda?

oops... wrong forum...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HoldDaMayo said:
why not just take a large drill bit and drill a hole in each honeycomb... should take about 10 mins and would allow some nice airflow...

What? you care about looks over functionality? then why did you buy a honda?

oops... wrong forum...
Gotta love pissy people. For those of you who are wondering what the heck he's talking about, I do own a Honda...and yes, it's my daily driver so I'm not putting needless miles on the GTI.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
B13 said:
if its your daily drive then why did you get the gti ??? for filling the free space in the garage :p
Cuz I don't feel like racking up 16,000mi in 8 months driving back and forth from my gf's house. U all can drive your gti's however you see fit, but mine is a project car >:D

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
SpeeDemon said:
B13 said:
if its your daily drive then why did you get the gti ??? for filling the free space in the garage :p
Cuz I don't feel like racking up 16,000mi in 8 months driving back and forth from my gf's house. U all can drive your gti's however you see fit, but mine is a project car >:D
^^^ Smart... (thank God I have a 8 mile comute :) )

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dragon said:
SpeeDemon said:
B13 said:
^^^ Smart... (thank God I have a 8 mile comute :) )
yup, I bought the thing for $900, and its already paid itself off with the difference in gas and the mileage saved.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, screw the rest of this DIY! I just sliced my finger (nail) open to the point where it splattered blood all over the place, and wouldn't U know, I was on my last cut and jacked everything up when the knife slipped. Guess I'm buying replacements. I'd like a new finger too at the moment. :mad:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
B13 said:
o thats bad. so drilling is the best way :D
the problem is, if u look at the open face grilles that they make, there's a line on both the bottom and the top that you have to follow so that the silver part of the bumper doesn't show (if u were to attempt it urself). So if ur that skilled with a drill, then yes, it is a better way. But since apparently I no longer should be allowed to handle a knife, I'll leave that drill idea to U, LOL ;D

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ahhhhh, my finger isn't throbbing as bad any more.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And here's the flesh wound. I'm definitely going to lose the nail. Not sure if you can see, but the nail is sliced about halfway through from back to front. :'(

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
SpeeDemon said:
And here's the flesh wound. I'm definitely going to lose the nail. Not sure if you can see, but the nail is sliced about halfway through from back to front. :'(
You want me to post the DIY on how to save a nail after a traumatic injury? :p ;D

when was the last manicure? [fish]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts