Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spark Plug Replacement For The 2.0T Engine

First Pop Ur Hood ....

Next Get Your Tools And The New Spark Plugs Out.....

Ratchet And Extention Atleast 12" Long

5/8" Spark Plug Socket

Screwdriver

4X Denso Iridium Plugs

Also If U Have Some Rubber Hose That Will Fit Over The End Of The Spark Plug This Can Help Get It Down In The Hole So u Dont Drop It ...

Next .... Heres Where Ur Spark Plugs Live

You Have To Remove The Coil Packs Before U Can Get To The Spark Plugs . Disconnect The Wires Going To Teh Coils

Use The Screwdriver To GENTLY Pry The Coil Out ..... It Helps To Wiggle It Side To Side With our Hand While Prying It Out

Remove All 4 Coils And Begin Changing The Plugs Out & If U Need To Replace Ur Coils Nows The Time ..... When The Coils Are out It Will Look Like This ( Dont Drop Anything Down The Hole ) It WILL Suck To Be You If You Do Drop Something ;D

My Old Plug Compared To My New One @ My 40k Mile Service

All 4 Old Plugs Out And New Ones In

Once You Have All 4 New Plugs Back In Just Put The Coils Back In And Reconnect Them . Make Sure You Have The Coils Pushed All The Way Back Down Onto The Spark Plugs.

Any Questions You Have Feel Free To PM Me

~Teh Chr!s~

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Nice write-up :)

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TY Sir ;D

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
Nice write up. Whered you get the castrol oil cap?
they started putting the castrol logo on the newer models.

good write up. i use a shoe lace to remove the coils personally, wrap it around the coil twice then pull up. same difference as screw driver i guess O0

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im Runnin Denso Iridiums ... But Do Some Research And/Or Ask Shelby What He Thinks

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think you forgot the most important part of the whole job... Whats the torque spec there Chris??? huh? Its 21 ftlbs. Freakin Rookies!

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol [fish] I Dont Torque Sh!t Any More After My Shifter Incident .... These Guys Can Do The Torque Specs ... I Refuse To Use A Torque Wrench On My Car Any More ....

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
half turn past tight, how about that for torque specs ;D

im also running the denso iridum plugs with my stage II. copper is good if you swap em out each oil change and silver is good too O0

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Hey...what are the advantages of running 'cooler' (or any other) plugs vs. spec? (probably a noob question, but whatever) :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
About 3/4's of the way down is a more scientific explanation of heat range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_plug

My understanding of 1 step cooler plugs is when you are upgrading things like turbo, injectors and fuel pump. Typically packages like this have 1 step cooler plugs probably to keep the heat range of the combustion chamber down, since you are raising it up with more air/fuel. Someone can correct me if I am wrong though

·
Registered
31 Posts
thanks for the help. My big thing was to not break the wire harnesses. thats my worst mechanical ability. I always break em but this time i didnt. I used autolite iridiums. I bought them a couple weeks ago with mail rebate :) but I got new issue of modified mag yesterday and they were featured with a right up so that was cool. but the autolite double platinums i pulled out were spent. I also bought an ebay ignition coil puller it helped to. I was kinda funny about prying them out with a screw driver seeing as that they were brand new replaced under recall :)

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Iridiums gave me a WOT misfire. A set of double platinums, 2 weeks later, cured this problem
did u gap them correctly ... i had the same issue until i gapped them to i believe its either 17 or 27 thousandths

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
did u gap them correctly ... i had the same issue until i gapped them to i believe its either 17 or 27 thousandths
its 27 IIRC

i have the iridium plugs on my mk4

1 - 19 of 19 Posts