Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2006GTI was throwing an EVAP code. The dealer ran diagnostics and told me it was the purge valve. He offered to fix it for $250 but I'd rather do it myself (even though I already paid $90 for the diagnostics, F'in robbery).

I didn't see any DIY posted, can anyone help me? I'm definitely in training with car stuff but I pick things up quick.

I see two valves on ECSTuning.com: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Search/SiteSearch/Purge_Valve/

How do I know which one I should get?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
all the dealers use is vag com... just find local people to run codes for you next time they usually just want beer for payments, much cheaper

also if your going to be fixing your own car, get a bently / hanes manual. they will have everything you need and detailed step by steps to fix most stuff

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just had to do this about 2 months ago. I went with the genuine volkswagen part...it was an easy install but I would replace the breather hose too. My check engine light went right off and haven't had any issues since!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used the DIY from another forum...not sure on the protocol for posting from other forums but...here...http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119267

It's really simple and the valve is right on top. Make sure you have at least four hose clamps...the ones on my car were a bitch to get off but you will basically just break them, remove the valve and breather hose and replace them with the new ones (obviously other steps include disconnecting battery, removing engine cover, and intake connect if factory, and disconnecting electrical wiring)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I used the DIY from another forum...not sure on the protocol for posting from other forums but...here...http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119267

It's really simple and the valve is right on top. Make sure you have at least four hose clamps...the ones on my car were a bitch to get off but you will basically just break them, remove the valve and breather hose and replace them with the new ones (obviously other steps include disconnecting battery, removing engine cover, and intake connect if factory, and disconnecting electrical wiring)
I'm pretty sure links like that are fine. It'll help someone. I even bookmarked it just in case I ever show symptoms.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Yeah I saw this DIY the other day. Its great and I definitely plan on using referencing it.

I ordered the bentley repair manual with the valve too though for added measure. Might as well invest if I'm planning on doing more myself. I didn't order the breather hose like everyone's suggesting, I didn't see that till after I ordered.

@Jsilva970 - I definitely plan on asking here if anyone in the Boston area (I live in Woburn, MA) has a VAG-COM I can use in the future (Anyone?). But this also required a smoke test to find the leak so I think the charge was for the "labor" for that.

If anyone is looking at this becuase they have a vacuum leak and you already replaced the gas cap, just go straight to the purge valve and breather hose. ALL my research is showing that this is the problem 90% of the time. Then again I'm an amateur...

Thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was easy! Just make sure you have new hose clamps. I haven't cleared the code yet though. Hopefully it fixed the issue. OH and I did end up doing the breather hose with it.

Thanks all

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
F*CK!

So I cleared the code but it came back two days later as usual. SO I guess I try replacing the double check valve? I'll let you know how that goes. I read on another forum (the one linked on a previous reply on this thread) that another guy replaced it and it worked.

I'll let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you know what code it's throwing? Try getting someone to diagnose it....even just pepboys or something and research the actual code...that's how I figured out it was my purge valve.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you know what code it's throwing? Try getting someone to diagnose it....even just pepboys or something and research the actual code...that's how I figured out it was my purge valve.
I don't have the code on hand right now but yes, I did research it. After research I thought it would be the purge valve but that didn't do the trick. I even had a dealer do a smoke test who confirmed it SHOULD be the purge valve, but it wasn't. I'm pulling the code again today just in case the CEL light is something different now, I haven't confirmed it yet. It's actually at pepboys anyway today because the battery died before work this morning.

I would be VERY surprised if it was a different code though. I have a feeling I'll be replacing the double check valve this weekend. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I can finally put this thread to rest.

The code never came back, it was a seperate code for my air intake coming lose. I tightened it back up, reset the code and was all set.

So in summary, replacing the N80 valve and breather hose DID fix it for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Sean,

I think I am in the same spot as you with that EVAP purge valve and I'm about to attempt it with the DIY guide posted on here. I have a different error code than the P0441 that I found online (mine is P0456, but I was told it's probably still the EVAP purge valve). Where did you end up buying the valve and hoses from? (I also live in the Boston area and can get it locally). And was it the N80 valve?

Lastly, was the install fairly simple? (it looks pretty straight-forward). I'm no pro at this stuff, but I'm trying to learn and do have some basic tools.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You sound a lot like me!

I got the N80 purge valve here (ECS Tuning): http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Search/SiteSearch/Purge_Valve/ES281033/
And the breather hose here (also ECS): http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Search/SiteSearch/Purge_Valve/ES261138/

You're better off going through them because they have a good reputation. ...as apposed to amazon or ebay. I don't know anyone local to get it from.

Overall it was easy to do. Remember to get some extra hose clamps to hold the breather hose. There's no way you can reuse the factory ones they put on.

Good luck!

Hey Sean,

I think I am in the same spot as you with that EVAP purge valve and I'm about to attempt it with the DIY guide posted on here. I have a different error code than the P0441 that I found online (mine is P0456, but I was told it's probably still the EVAP purge valve). Where did you end up buying the valve and hoses from? (I also live in the Boston area and can get it locally). And was it the N80 valve?

Lastly, was the install fairly simple? (it looks pretty straight-forward). I'm no pro at this stuff, but I'm trying to learn and do have some basic tools.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The install wasn't bad at all. It was my first experience working on my own car and it went really smooth. I also had a P0456 code and not the P0441 or what it was that seanpryan87 had.

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, lucky me, I had my mechanic reset the MIL when he did my oil change and a couple other things, and was waiting for it to come back before I did anything. It's been a month now and I'm still waiting for it. Not that I'm complaining, but until that sucker comes back on, I'm just going to leave it alone. But thanks for all the info guys! I saved all this and will be sure to use it if it ever comes up again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts