Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do it yourself oil change

This is a pretty good step by step with pictures.

FIXED LINK
ff

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're probably talking about the tool needed to drain the oil out of the filter housing?? You can bypass that step and risk spilling a little oil when you wrench off the filter housing. Unless you want to purchase that tool - I think they are going around $80

·
Registered
346 Posts
I was just clowning around. That's a pretty cool link, and if I wasn't stuck in an apartment lease for another year (with a no car repair in the garage policy), I would definitely attempt it at least once.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i work on trucks alot, with turbos. i just got and 07 mkv in stead of buying that 80$ tool what i do on the trucks is after i drain the oil out of the pan i crank the engine ownce or twice DO NOT START IT you could mess up your turbo so dont start the thing just crank it and most of the oil shoud get pumped out. im going to try it when i do mine but i havent done it yet with my car because ive only got 2k on it. so its worth a try.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
MKVRIZZO said:
i work on trucks alot, with turbos. i just got and 07 mkv in stead of buying that 80$ tool what i do on the trucks is after i drain the oil out of the pan i crank the engine ownce or twice DO NOT START IT you could mess up your turbo so dont start the thing just crank it and most of the oil shoud get pumped out. im going to try it when i do mine but i havent done it yet with my car because ive only got 2k on it. so its worth a try.
...lets hope "its worth a try" hah

·
Registered
25 Posts
As I mentioned before the hacker attack. Unscrew the small cap off the bottom of the oil cartridge holder and push something like an allen key wrench up against the orange nipple inside. It is spring loaded so use some force (you can push it to the side a little and it will wedge itself open) Allowing the oil to drain out of the holder..

I wouldn't want to be turning over the engine while the oil is drained...

·
Registered
321 Posts
No need to buy the tool. I just use the same Torx screwdriver used to take off the bottom cover. Push that nipple up (it takes a little force) and angle it to the side. It will stay open and your oil will drain. Then proceed with removing the filter.

I just did my second oil change. I buy the filter from the stealership ($17) and use Mobil 1 0W40. It comes out to be a little less than $50 and takes only about 10 minutes. How much does the dealer usually charge???

·
Registered
321 Posts
WOW you guys are getting raped.. I ordered a case of filters for @ $100 including shipping from www.germanfilters.com OEM filter.. Otherwise my dealer charges @$12 for filter and drain washer.
That's a great deal man! Thanks. I'm gonna order a case too. Does anyone know if K&N is going to make a filter for our fast???

·
Registered
573 Posts
It didn't work for me from the first post either (same 404 error as mentioned by someone else). The second did. I have it saved now, so if you need it, let me know, and I can email to you.

Just to clarify; becuase it shocks me to think so, all work can be done without raising the car????

·
Registered
321 Posts
Unless you're only 3" tall laying on your back then you'll probably need to lift the car. I drive mine up onto some cheap ramps I bought at AutoZone for $20. Come to think of it, I've never actually tried doing it without lifting the car. You have to remove the bottom cowling which has like 10 screws or so. I guess if you can manage to maneuver your arm under there and see what you're doing then you wouldn't have to lift the car. But I'm sure it's a hell of a lot easier with it in the air. If you're able to do it without lifting your Fast let us know.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts