Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tools needed:
1) wire splicer (or needle nose pliers are fine too)
2) electrical tape
3) zip ties
4) Torx driver (I believe I used a T-25 or T-20. There's only 2 screws to undo)
5) Metal wire clothes hanger
6) 4 individual LED bulbs from auto parts store (usually around $8 )
7) Optx 9" LED strip (1 pair is around $23 at Advance Auto Parts)

Install time:
1 hour or less

Directions:
1) Begin by pushing in on the headlight switch, twist to the right, and pull out the headlight module.

2) Pull the steering wheel out and down as far as it will go. Remove the silver lining plate by pulling from the right side first.

3) Remove the plastic lining over the fuse panel.

4) Unsnap the wire harness from the dimmer switch. Cut enough of the wrapping around the dimmer wires to expose enough to work on.
5) Run the first LED wire through the far left a/c hole opening and up to the dimmer switch wires. Let the bulb just hang with about 4-6 inches of wire exposed. Connect the positive BLACK/WHITE wire to the SOLID GRAY dimmer switch wire. Run the negative SOLID BLACK wire to the SOLID BROWN dimmer switch wire.

6) Run the second LED wire through the far right a/c hole opening and snake that wire to the left to meet up with that 4-6 inches of wire. Again, leave about 4-6 inches with the 2nd LED wire for the 3rd LED's wiring later on. Use a wire splicer to expose the 1st LED's wires for the 2nd LED wires to piggy-back off of.

7) Next, move over to the passenger side. Unscrew the two fasteners holding the Styrofoam lining in place.

8 ) The 3rd LED light will go where the far left a/c hole opening is. Attach the wires to the end of the clothes hanger and push it through the small opening closest the firewall.

It will easily come out the driver's side area.
9) Leave that wire on the driver's side for now and focus on finishing up the passenger's side. The 4th wire will go where the far right a/c hole opening is. Splice the wires from the 4th into the 3rd's.

10) You can now re-attach the Styrofoam lining. I used an knife to make a little incision mark in the Styrofoam lining right behind the hole to run a zip tie through to secure the two LED's on this side in place.

11) Run that wire that you snaked through with the clothes hanger behind the plastic a/c plate with the holes to meet with the 2nd LED's exposed 4-6 inches of wire and splice them together.

12) At this point all LED's should be wired together. LED's 2 through 4 are feeding off of LED 1's connection to the dimmer switch.
13) I used zip ties to secure the LED's in place.

14) Ok, soooooo...I waited till dark to test the LED bulbs and they didn't give off enough light. So I went out and bought another pair of the Optx 9" red LED strips. I decided to leave the LED bulbs in because you can angle them outward for more coverage. Here's where to mount the LED strips.

Make sure with the passenger side that you get the LED strip as close to the a/c vent holes as possible so it doesn't get covered up by the bottom of the glove box.
15) Make a small cut with a knife next to the wire side of the LED strip to feed the wires through. Wire-side is going to be on the left.

16) Connect the wires and your interior will look like this when you flip the headlights on.

Again, the lights will dim with your dimmer switch. I apologize for the last couple pics being low quality, but I forgot my camera in one of my other cars that I gotta leave in the county I work for.

Enjoy!

P.S. had to cut 4 pics out of the DIY cuz of the 20 pics limit, but I think you'll get the idea

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MicMoor77 said:
Where are the pics???
I'll take the new pics when I get home from work in the morning. Like I said earlier, all I had was my cell phone camera when I was finishing the install. The last two pics are what the driver's side pedal area looks like with the red LED's on. I'll take some of the passenger side once I bring my real camera home, and I'll swap out the pics on this DIY.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
134GTI said:
so thers no way to turn them off while you driving.......?
If you want to have the option of turning them off, just wire it to an accessory switch instead of the dimmer. I have a DIY in the forums on mounting the switch.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Again, I'm aware of the picture issue, I'll hopefully have them back up soon. Bare with me.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This thread needs to be deleted. There's a duplicate that has the pictures already.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pictures back up

·
Registered
265 Posts
Another classy mod speedemon. QQ , would I be able to just get away wiht using just the LED strips and maybe replacing the interior bulbs with red?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another classy mod speedemon. QQ , would I be able to just get away wiht using just the LED strips and maybe replacing the interior bulbs with red?
Thanks! Yeah, the strips are much better. I simply started out with the bulbs and realized that it wasn't giving off enough light, so I just decided to add the strips as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
can you also run the wire to the passenger side too? i mean it would prob be a pain but it would look sweet on both the driver and passenger side

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can you also run the wire to the passenger side too? i mean it would prob be a pain but it would look sweet on both the driver and passenger side
No disrespect, but if you read the entire DIY, you'll see that I give directions for both sides already. That's why you need the clothes hanger to route the wires through to the other side.

·
Registered
256 Posts
i went through my acc wire and was able to put a few switches in the blanks on my center console for different lights, came out really nice and the switches have a red led when they're on, so kinda adds a little bit of color down there too. planning on having one switch for the interior lights, a second one for the lights in the hatch around my amps/sub, and a third for something else... haven't quite decided on that one yet. i think you can see the third switch by my shifter if you look closely. switches were like $2 each and well worth it. i used a few red leds i got online and a couple resistors to dim them a bit to make them a bit softer red. they came out really nice.

Finally got around to taking some pics at night for the lights, although the switch pic didn't turn out all that great, they look awesome in the blanks...

IMGP2540.jpg IMGP2537.jpg IMGP2532.jpg IMGP2531.jpg IMGP2539.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
just added some red leds to the footwell the other night. Thanks a lot for this diy it enhances the interior look a bunch!

photo.jpg

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts