Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Diy - led lights behind grille!!!!!!!!!!!!

DIY 
17K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  SpeeDemon 
#1 · (Edited)
Things you'll need to get (I got all this at Advanced Auto Parts):
1- Pair of "Optx LED sticks" (whatever color you want. I chose red)
1- Accessory switch of your choice (preferably one that has an indicator light that power is on)
1- spool of multi-colored wire (red, black, green. etc...)
1- Electrical tape
1- bag of 4" zip ties (one of man's best inventions)
3- terminals to crimp onto the wires running to the accessory switch

You'll need T-20, T-25, and T-30 drivers to remove the screws holding the front bumper. A crimper or needle-nose pliers, a sharp knife to cut a hole through the firewall's rubber grommet. 10mm socket to disconnect battery terminals.

Directions:
1) Begin by removing the two screws above the grille, then remove the two screws at the bottom of the grille on each side of the license plate. At this point all screws have been removed from the black grille. The only thing holding it in place still is the plastic snaps at the top of the grille. Go ahead and remove the grille. You'll see two gray screws on the top middle portion of the bumper once the grille is removed, leave those for last.

2) Get underneath your ride and and remove the screws that are holding the protective skid plate. There's two plastic snaps to push up on to remove it. Then remove all the screws on the bottom of the bumper.

3) There's 5 screws on the left and right side fender-well area that need to be removed. For ease of removal, turn the wheel all the way to the left and remove the right fender-well screws. Turn the wheel all the way to the right and remove the left fender-well screws.

4) At this point, the only thing holding the bumper in place should be those two screws I told you earlier to leave alone. Go ahead and remove them.

5) On both the left and right side the bumper slides into two "puzzle" grooves. All you gotta do is pull the bumper away from the GTI and the bumper will slide right off (you may have to give a few tugs, but don't pull too hard cuz look at the next step).

6) IMPORTANT!!! Make sure you have a 1 gallon jug nearby because once the bumper is removed, you'll need to unsnap the plastic retainer clip that's holding the tube connecting to the windshield washer fluid motor on the canister (passenger side). Drain the fluid. DO NOT LOSE THAT RETAINER!!!

7) Unsnap the turn signal bulbs and fog light wire harness'. Your bumper should be completely free of the vehicle now.

8) Clean area where the LED bars will be mounted. Remove the film protecting the sticky 3M's on the light bars. Here's a pic of where I mounted mine (in my opinion it's about the only spot you can get them)

They are placed so the wire-side of the bars piggy-back to the driver's side (both bars' wires are facing left).

9) Once both LED bars are in place, use zip ties the reinforce that the light bars will stay in place. Be careful not to cover up any of the LED's though. And run the LED bar to the right's wires underneath the zip ties that are holding the left LED bar in place (for a cleaner install).

10) Cut the wires so they are both the same length. Combine the two positive wires together, and combine the two negatives together. Now leave this alone for the time being...we're shifting gears.

11) Remove the battery. I KNOW, it's a pain the butt (especially if you got extra wires coming off of it). This is the only way to snake the wires through the firewall.

12) I used red+, black-, and green (accessory) wires, and I placed a heatsink tube around the end I was going to push through the firewall so all the wires make it through easily (you don't have to do this but I recommend it). Make a few cuts in the firewall's rubber grommet area where all the wires are going through. Then snake your wires through the hole you made.

I ran the green wire around and under the fuse box area so it's out of sight. You'll be able to easily see it underneath the driver's side headlight.

13) Connect the red, green, and black wires to their prospective terminals on the accessory switch you bought (I'm throwing this step in here now so you can test the LED's before you go through all the hassle of mounting the switch). It is a good idea to place some electrical tape around the black and red terminals just for peace of mind (wouldn't want an electrical fire would we?). See my DIY for further on how to mount the toggle switch.

14) Reinstall the battery, but don't put on the plastic coverings yet. Connect the red+ and black- wires to their prospective battery terminals.

15) Ok, back to the bumper. Get the bumper fairly close to the front of the vehicle. Run that accessory wire to the two combined positive wires of the LED bars. I used electrical tape to cover the connection and then placed a zip tie over that (think "weather the elements"). Cut another piece of black wire long enough to run it from the negative LED wires to a bolt that connects to the frame of the car (or just something that's metal on metal). At this point, all wires are safely in place (double check your connections). Flip the switch and your LED's should be glowin' purty.

16) Now reconnect the turn signal bulbs, the fog light wire harness', and the washer tube (with that almight plastic retainer). Now put the bumper back in place. I needed the help of a buddy in order to get the "puzzle" grooves on both sides of the bumper to go back in place. I put the screws that connected the top corners of both sides of the bumper back on first to hold it in place, then I put the two gray screws on the top portion of the bumper. Then put the rest back on in no particular order.

17) I didn't get around to actually mounting my switch yet, but there's a few options for location inside the vehicle. I chose to put my switch down by that bulge in the floor to the left of my driver's seat. Placing it next to the traction control button just looked tacky in my opinion.

You're finished! Enjoy your work!

See less See more
#4 ·
No problem, you're welcome. Also, now that you have an accessory wire running, you can add more lighting if you wish. I'm going to put some behind the upper portion of the grille soon, as well as some red LED's near the pedals (as well as on the passenger side)....these though, I'm going to wire to my headlights so that they turn on with the rest of the interior lights O0 Let me know if you'd like a DIY with that as well. It'll be pretty easy...just gotta find the accessory wire coming from the headlight switch and ground the other wire.

#7 ·
Dragon said:
22350 said:
I like it.... a lot.

You really need to get the open fog grilles. I would love to see the red silicone hoses from the intercooler on both sides.

Very nice. O0
My fogs glow red to the sides thru the vents. O0
Did you install the lights? How'd it go? I removed the honeycomb inserts in front of the fogs to see how'd they look. I didn't like it. I'd have to buy those open grille inserts from TMTuning.

#8 ·
SpeeDemon said:
Dragon said:
22350 said:
I like it.... a lot.

You really need to get the open fog grilles. I would love to see the red silicone hoses from the intercooler on both sides.

Very nice. O0
Did you install the lights? How'd it go? I removed the honeycomb inserts in front of the fogs to see how'd they look. I didn't like it. I'd have to buy those open grille inserts from TMTuning.
TMTuning and I think OEM plus has them. The foglamps are stock with Hoen endurance bulbs in yellow... the open grills are nice, and include a scoop to direct air into a wheel well mounted CAI for a lil extra air. O0

#11 ·
xxxfast said:
[shizzle]

whats next a fart can and unpainted spoiler?
U talkin' to me or 22350?

#12 ·
22350 said:
Dragon said:
22350 said:
I like it.... a lot.

Very nice. O0
I want to see pics!!!!
It's not red enough to show forward, it's just like a very slight glow from the base of the lamp housing you can see thru the honeycomb.

#14 ·
xxxfast said:
SpeeDemon said:
xxxfast said:
[shizzle]

whats next a fart can and unpainted spoiler?
U talkin' to me or 22350?
if your rocking the red leds then you
That's cool. It's not for everybody, and you're entitled to your opinion.....you sound like you're a very opinionated individual....but you know what they say about opinions...They're like butt holes--Everybody has one and they all stink.

#16 ·
BlueFrogPosse said:
I have one but I think it smells fantastic.
So you're saying you can sniff your a**?......buttsniffer, lol

#19 ·
Anywho, for anyone who cares...my GTI is set to go on the dynojet this wednesday so I'll post video and results.

#22 ·
Dyno results are in. It's in a new thread, first page.

#24 ·
I could.....when I get around to it.

#25 ·
that's absolutely outstanding...looks like your work is excellent and thoughtful... I think some red behing the grill stripe would look great as well...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.