Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted a new DIY (lol, that's what happens when you get married!). Anyways, I decided to go with APR's rebuild HPFP since namotorsports.com is having an APR sale that actually ends tonight (10/31/10) in honor of H2O. I didn't mind the price since it was on sale. I happily paid the extra $150 vs. AWE's (which I was looking at heavily) to have the peace-of-mind knowing that my pump was tested before and after the rebuild.

Here's what you'll need in the way of tools/parts:
1) OEM Cam Follower (got mine for $50 at ecstuning.com)
2) Shop rags
3) Protective eyewear
4) 17mm box wrench
5) 13mm box wrench
6) T30 Torx
7) M8 Triple Square
8 )Tape
9) Flat-head screwdriver
10) Skoal (optional) ;-)

Install time: 30-45min (depending on how fast you can get the M8 Triple Square nut removed)

Process:

This install is pretty straightforward. I think the main question people might have is the depressurization process...

1) Depressurizing the HPFP. This step has a few variations to it, I liked mine because I didn't have any fuel to clean up. I started by removing the top sensor (fuel pressure regulator) on the N276. A flat-head screwdriver helps with unsnapping it. Don't remove the sensor under the PCV hose yet (sensor on left side of HPFP). If you're wondering what that green square is to the bottom right of the HPFP, some newer model GTI's have a bleeder valve.

- Start the car and let it run for about 10 seconds. You'll hear a bit of sputtering going on. Don't worry, it's normal.

- Next, remove the HPFP Fuse (blue 15amp) from side panel on driver's side dash.

- Start the car again. It will only continuously turn at this point. Do this for 5 seconds.
At this point, your HPFP's pressure will have gone from 100bar to about 3bar.

2) Assuming you have already removed the engine cover/air intake, remove the second sensor on the left side of the HPFP. Also, if your pump has a bleeder valve, put on protective eyewear and unscrew it using (I believe) a 17mm or 13mm box wrench.

3) For clearance purposes, remove the hose fitting below the main PCV hose. This fitting has to be unsnapped from all 4 corners in order to release. Using a flat-head screwdriver helps. Some have suggested removing the main PCV hose and Boost tap line, you do NOT need to do this (there's enough clearance to work with).

4) Slide a shop rag underneath the HPFP.

5) Use the 17mm box wrench to remove the sleeve on the 1st fuel line (to the right, circled in red).

4) I used some tape around my M8 Triple Square bit to hold it in place with a 13mm box wrench. Because my M8 bit was too long, I ended up just holding the bit in place with my hand and using the 13mm box wrench to loosen it. If you have a smaller M8 bit, the tape idea will work.

This was the best angle for leverage with my wrench:

5) At this point, all that's left is to remove the three T30 Torx bolts holding the HPFP to the engine.

6) Slide your finger into the hole and pull out the Cam Follower.

7) Replace with the new Cam Follower.

8 ) And you're done. Simply put everything back together in reverse order.

Here's a pic of the old and new Follower. Mine didn't really need to be replaced yet, but since I was sending my HPFP to APR, I figured I'd go ahead and replace it. Not too much wear showing yet.

Enjoy,

SD

P.S. The torque specs for the bolts are:

T30 Torx bolts: 10Nm
Banjo Bolt: 17Nm
Fuel Line Nut: 25Nm

·
Registered
51 Posts
firstly, thank you a ton for doing this. second...when/why should this get replaced? are there symptoms? precautionary? i hear everyone SWEAR against these things...what do they DO?

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
firstly, thank you a ton for doing this. second...when/why should this get replaced? are there symptoms? precautionary? i hear everyone SWEAR against these things...what do they DO?
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Cam_Follower/ES252809/

when i had my mk5 i checkd it every other oil change and replaced it if it got looking to worn down ......this is what WILL happen if u dont stay on top of it

and if u haz teh awareness she may even come see you

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
It will cause you fuel to cut out and it can also damage othe fuel pump the cam sits on the loab of your cam and if it is sevely damaged the fuel pump.part will.hit the loab.

USING MY PHONE BYTCHES

·
Registered
51 Posts
roflwaffle #tehawareness

by every other oil change,were talkin 20k miles?

-thanks again x2

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
roflwaffle #tehawareness

by every other oil change,were talkin 20k miles?

-thanks again x2
No by every other oil change i meant 10k .... I changed mine like ur supposed to not the 10k between service changes that the vw owners manual says .... The only oil i trusted to go that far was the amsoil i was running for the last 20k of her life

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
No by every other oil change i meant 10k .... I changed mine like ur supposed to not the 10k between service changes that the vw owners manual says .... The only oil i trusted to go that far was the amsoil i was running for the last 20k of her life
But be careful as no amsoil is 502 certified..
Sometimes it seems that people take the cam follower situation to far and replace every 10K. I don't recommend that at all.

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
But be careful as no amsoil is 502 certified..
Sometimes it seems that people take the cam follower situation to far and replace every 10K. I don't recommend that at all.
if u notice in my other post john i said i would check it every other and then replace it if needed

·
Registered
369 Posts
so this cam follower thing, i have 40k+ miles on my mkv right now, ive been having issues when accelerating at highway speeds, as i hit the gas i get this "thump" and it kinda shakes the whole car. could that be the cause of a cam follower being to worn? i have no idea if the previous owner replaced it in the time they had it.

so could it cause fuel cuts or that sudden shudder on the highway?

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
so this cam follower thing, i have 40k+ miles on my mkv right now, ive been having issues when accelerating at highway speeds, as i hit the gas i get this "thump" and it kinda shakes the whole car. could that be the cause of a cam follower being to worn? i have no idea if the previous owner replaced it in the time they had it.

yes, your HPFP/cam follower can cause fuel cuts

·
Registered
369 Posts
And just the fuel cut could cause that shudder? kinda feels like running over a manhole cover, just a quick bump and then its gone

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And just the fuel cut could cause that shudder? kinda feels like running over a manhole cover, just a quick bump and then its gone
I hate to say it but that almost sounds like a tranny issue

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
I hate to say it but that almost sounds like a tranny issue
I would look into that also. But with the mkv the subframe bolts come loose. I found out the hard ways. My thumping went away with the subframe spacers last night.

DU SCHAUST WIE EIN AUTO, NUR NICHT SO SCHNELL!!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
well neither of those sound good.. lol warranty isn't up yet, should i bring it in and have them check the trans?

it doesnt do the thump all the time, or in every gear. its pretty random. and never does it when i first shift into the gear. Only after its in gear already and im accelerating a bit, very strange.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
well neither of those sound good.. lol warranty isn't up yet, should i bring it in and have them check the trans?

it doesnt do the thump all the time, or in every gear. its pretty random. and never does it when i first shift into the gear. Only after its in gear already and im accelerating a bit, very strange.
If it is under warrenty i would take it in. Also check out your dog bog mount.
Warrenty is your best friend with a newer car.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If it is under warrenty i would take it in. Also check out your dog bog mount.
Warrenty is your best friend with a newer car.

will do, thanks for the help O0

·
Registered
1 Posts

I'm having this same problem. Especially in 4th gear accelerating hard. I'm stage 2 and haven replaced my cam follower. If you could tell me what the dealership says I'd appreciate it. No warranty for me. ):

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm having this same problem. Especially in 4th gear accelerating hard. I'm stage 2 and haven replaced my cam follower. If you could tell me what the dealership says I'd appreciate it. No warranty for me. ):
no prob, havent gotten time for it yet, guna set an appointment up after im done with school and the holidays

·
Registered
305 Posts
So I decided to order a cam follower for my car. Just in case it needed to be replaced, i didn't want to be stuck without one. So it turns out that it didn't need to be replaced. At least I don't think it needs to be replaced.......you guys be the judge
cam follower.JPG .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts