Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm looking to improve the sound of my stereo without swapping out the head unit. I'm not saying the head unit is great, but I know that having useless buttons on the steering wheel would drive me nuts (don't even get me started on the phone button, that one is grating at me as it is).. I was thinking Boston Acoustics or some other decent speakers. I would like to get away with the stock power as well as the volume dosen't bother me as much as me liking "clean sound". I liked the Bose setup from my Audi, but it was by no means a powerful system, it just sounded clean. I would rather not mix and match components and I want it to look like I've done nothing. Anyone have any options?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I'm interested in doing this too. Someone smart chime in here please. Also what's the best way to improve the sound without changing the head unit? Can someone recommend some good speakers and amp or whatever else it would take to get really good sound?

·
Registered
137 Posts
somebody else in another post said that they replaced the head unit and now their speakers sound a lot better. so maybe it's more the head unit and less the speakers???

·
Registered
115 Posts
i'm replacing my speakers with Focal after market speakers..... these things are greatt..alittle expensive but on the line with the Boston Acoustics.... i reccomend them really bad... GOOD SPEAKERS!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
my friend only uses jl audio in his car, which, in my opinion sound great..once i get the money i plan on dropping some in my car also

·
Registered
4 Posts
K... So, replacing the speakers in the GTI is a big headache. It's not pop out and pop in. They actually have to be cut out of the door because they were fabricated into the framing. It's not a big issue, it's just a little more intensive then the guy expected and also a little more invasive than I wanted. I went with D6 speakers. And a Kenwood DVD/Nav system. Then two 10 inch subs in the back. Don't mold the subs to your car cause that will be a headache whenever you need the cargo room or to get to your spare. I had the system with just the D6 speakers and the stock system and it sounded good, but when I put in the DVD/Nav system it sounded so bloody nice, plus the subs are a nice addition. Don't turn up the feed to the subs too much cause with such a small car you don't need a lot. All in all the system cost me right around 2k and I love it! totally worth it. And the DVD is amazing for road trips. Just get the guy to disengage the parking break limiter on the system. Hope this helps.

D6 fit perfectsly in the car and they are cheaper than the Alpine or Kenwood speakers but have better customer reviews and such so I would definately suggest those.

And keep your stock speakers when you're done. The guy said he wouldn't be able to pop them back on but I kept them regardless cause I figure I could try if the need ever called for it.

And the useless buttons on the steering wheel don't bother me at all. I've got lots of them now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
no, my friend uses an alpine head unit...his stock sounded like crap with anything

just to note, my friend does NOT have a gti so i didnt mean the gti head unit sounded like sh!t

·
Registered
832 Posts
Has anyone had problems with the bass in the car spiking at times. Its like the factory subs go nuts every once in a while.

Also does anyone know if there are preamp outs on the factory head unit. I too would hate the useless buttons on the wheel (although I rarely find myself using them) but also like the stock look of everything. Is there anyway to have someone connect the steering wheel buttons to something aftermarket.

I have done all the radio work in previous vehicles, but they were all used vehicles way past the warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I replaced all my speakers with Focal and added a 10" JL sub. I was using the stock head unit but then swiched to an Alpine unit. The speakers are awsome and the sub is sick, i would recomend swapping head units if you spend the money on new speakers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
For those with Navi (me), an external amp would improve sound with external speakers because of the ability to control EQ and Passover settings.

A sub (pref 10") can recieve a signal from a rear deck speaker.

Recommeded: Boston Acoustics

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
prpltrck said:
Has anyone had problems with the bass in the car spiking at times. Its like the factory subs go nuts every once in a while.
Have you disabled the speed sensitive volume control? (to off)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Dragon said:
prpltrck said:
Have you disabled the speed sensitive volume control? (to off)
No I didn't do any modifications yet. Car is stock other than the little fast emblem I put on the back.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
haha. Yeah, if you read around, you'll see how to turn it off.

Push and hold the Tune/Scan button (the one on the right)
When you hear the little "bing!" a menu should appear on the screen
Scroll using the same button you pressed to get to the menu
when you get to the sound variable one use the preset channels button to choose off.

that should be all. :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
prpltrck said:

Also does anyone know if there are preamp outs on the factory head unit. I too would hate the useless buttons on the wheel (although I rarely find myself using them) but also like the stock look of everything. Is there anyway to have someone connect the steering wheel buttons to something aftermarket.

I have done all the radio work in previous vehicles, but they were all used vehicles way past the warranty.
Bass problem:

http://myfastgti.com/vwgti/index.php/topic,531.72.html

·
Registered
119 Posts
ill make this short but sweet 8). i know people dont like mixing speakers but i did and it sounds great- i have 4-Rockford Fosgat,6 1/2 speakers all with built in dual tweeters 10 in all-3 Audiobahn subs, 1-audiobahn 2,000watt amp for lows,1-1,200 amp for the highs,cross overs, and the deck is a Pioneer in dash DvD,Navi,T.V. Tuner(its a nice in dash). Now i like it but i would not recommend 3-10in subs for the gti. 1 i dont think thell fit in the trunk 2 its to much bass. but thats just me. its sounds good now but it could sound better ,just have tune it. by the way i heard the gti has like 10 or 12 speakers ???.at least thats what the dealer told me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
yeah it does.

i dont think i really need the sound upgrade though

no one else finds that the standard system is good enough?

unless you listen to a lot of rap and techno, but i mainly listen to rock in the gti

·
Registered
119 Posts
well i dont like it cause i like to feel my music and with the stock 1 you just cant. at all. by the if it has 12speakers where are they i only count 6 or are they counting the tweters....?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts