Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the images as promised guys, hope ya like these ... some FMX and BMX-Dirt events ... Enjoy :)
I am leaving tomorrow morning to shoot an Endurocross event in Denver, if anyone would like to see some of those ill be happy to post some :) If the general discussion thread isnt the right place for these images, will a mod please tell me where to put random photo stuff? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
How do you get such clear pictures at night and with such fast movement? Are you using your flash? Cause it seems like it would be too far for it to make an effect.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha ... ancient chinese secret... i used strobe lights, external with radio transmitters, they are big strobes, situated about 60 yards away from the action ( much further than traditional hot shoe mounted flash units. )

Thanks for the compliments guys, i do like my job, but remember...the grass is always greener on the other side, its all work and something i take seriously, just like you guys do at your jobs.

Im using D2X bodies ( Nikon ) lens used for those was either a 400mm 2.8 or an 70-200 2.8

Ill throw some up from the Endurocross this weekend and i stopped at Arches in Utah and got a couple cool shots from there too.

·
Registered
809 Posts
TOE_FAST said:
Thanks for the compliments guys, i do like my job, but remember...the grass is always greener on the other side, its all work and something i take seriously, just like you guys do at your jobs.
[fish] Yeah, no. I soooooooooo dont take my job seriously, otherwise I wouldnt be a postwhore all day while I'm here. ;D

If I had a job like yours I definately would though cuz thats awesome !!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL ... i hear ya, i had jobs like that myself when i was younger.

What i meant was, the images look cool and it looks like a fun job, but like anything else, i deal with alot of crap, security gaurds wanting to make you walk " the long way around" even though im properly credentialed ... politics with the industries i work in, cant publish that photo, we dont want people to see this or that etc ... competition among photographers can be intense and can/will escelate to fighting ( although i havent experienced alot of this thankfully ) ... lugging hundreds of pounds of gear from 4am until midnight ( which i have done many many times and it hurts...trust me ) then driving or flying all night with 3 hours sleep on a cramped plane or no sleep if its a drive home only to spend the next 16 hours editing photos and transmitting galleries to prospective clients ( early bird gets the worm ) then after all that work...waiting up to 6 months ( sometimes - usually 3 to 4 months ) to get paid for that job...magazines usually work in 3 month cycles.

Getting close to dangerously fast objects, working in rain for long hours, lots and lots and lots of walking sometimes never getting the image you need, meaning you dont get paid!

Now...if you can soak all that in and imagine that on a daily basis and you really do have a passion for photography ( because trust me...the subject matter gets old real fast, especially if you shoot as much as i do ) then this might be the job for you. :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Toe, it sounds similar to my job. The end result can be interesting, but there is a ton of work that goes into it - not all of it fun. Here are a few pics of a house I am working on, and some big stuff I did for other architects.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is very interesting... everyone has good points and bad points about their work, i always get the " your job is great - i want it! " remarks and people just dont understand its not "fun" its hard work!

Same as your job, or their job or anyones job.

I could tell you 10 killer things i percieve about your job and you could tell me 20 that suck...its all relative to the person and their job.

·
Registered
842 Posts
TOE_FAST said:
That is very interesting... everyone has good points and bad points about their work, i always get the " your job is great - i want it! " remarks and people just dont understand its not "fun" its hard work!

Same as your job, or their job or anyones job.

I could tell you 10 killer things i percieve about your job and you could tell me 20 that suck...its all relative to the person and their job.
True. I bet you couldn't find 20 things that suck about your GTI though. O0 We all look forward to the next batch of pics.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmmm...let me try

1) it wasnt free ( but i didnt mind paying for it so this technically doesnt count )
2) The turbo might go out at 80k miles... that actually does suck!
3) it doesnt come with 250 hp instead of 200
4) The german chick doesnt come as an "option" for my bisexual fiance
5) the stock tires kinda suck for a 25k+ car
6) the DRL's cant be turned off ( unless you use vagcom )
7) same for the seatbelt chime
8) im starting to think the nonexistent turbo lag they told me about in the car reviews is actually there ( i think im just starting to wish it had more bottom end ( ie: no lag from a dig )
9) the black trim on the 2007 isnt pretty
10) doesnt come with quad exhaust tips
11) my friends only think my car is REALLY cool, they dont worship me like they should.
12) I havent yet lost a race to a car ... im seriously considering a new career in formula 1 ... this could be disastrous to my health.
13) all my photography gear doesnt fit under the hatch with my cooler, could be incentive for thieves looking in the window
14) my fiance drives the car more than i do...its too good
15) when i fill up i walk around the passenger side to get gas, realizing i forgot to hit the button...ok this is me being a tard, its actualy a great design
16) I raced a WRX down a canyon road, very narrow and beat him with good handling... the driver now wants a GTI... which means more people who have the same car i have - not good for exclusivity.
17) I can afford to buy my kids more toys because of the good fuel economy of the GTI ... means more noise and more kids in my house playing. not good
18) its been 6 weeks and i still dont have my fast yet .. VW is torturing me making me wait so long.
19) im on MFG all day and not making new photography apointments as a result... lost productivity - not good.
20) my mom and dad are coming to Vegas to visit, ill take them for a drive and probly scare them to death, resulting heart attacks, hospital bills, and vacation interruptions...not good.

See, if you try hard enough you can come up with 20 things that suck about anything LOL ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
am i the only one that really stop thinking that toe is cool after number 4. come on bro O0. toe i put a pic up for you i don't know if it will work i'v never done it but i think it is nate i cant remember but i it might give you a smirk

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Holy "Huge and Blurry photos " batman :)

hahaha .. yea looks like thats Nate " the destroyer " adams, its funny...i have no idea why he has that nickname, he is probably one of the nicest, most laid back guys on the tour.

Where did you take that? was it X games or one of the Dew stops? shooting night stuff is tough stuff without big flash equipment, those dew tours dont have the best lighting compared to some of the arena events like at staples center.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ya bro i just put that one up cuz i thought it was funny that it looks like fire is coming out his butt. it was at the mcgrath invite and i took it with a little cannon hand held thing i know it sucks but i don't do it as a job so i'll just keep buying your pics

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was just messin with ya - no harm meant :)

ahhh the JMI, i was there ... i shot the cover of Josh Grant doing a huge whip for Moto-X germany at that event, i know its not happening this year but they said next year it will be back and hopefully become a regular thing...its a great one off event, i like the head to head format and the FMX demo was one of the best i have ever seen, i enjoyed 5 or 6 guys just charging the ramp - really cool

Nate and i were at X fighters in madrid one year and went to this nightclub, they had a huge bubble machine that sprayed bubbles all over the skimpy dressed chicks on the dance floor, they go hard and dance at those clubs till sunlight, puts some Vegas nightclubs to shame.

When i used to follow the ifma tour and Nate was just coming up i remember he would practice more than anyone, i remember when he could barely hit the berm and turn his bike but he was doing double rock solids off the 65 footer - he has come a long long way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts