Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my 06 gti about a month ago and recently learned that there was an ECM recall update or something. the local VW dealer said to bring it in anytime free of charge they will do the update. my question for you guys is WHAT ARE THE ADDED BENEFITS (hp/tqu increase, fuel mileage increase, ect...) if any? thanks.

·
USMC
1,105 Posts
More than likely, there was a glitch in the software and this addresses it. No gains or anything along those lines though.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
More than likely, there was a glitch in the software and this addresses it. No gains or anything along those lines though.
This and it also fixes the flapper motor issues that the FSI motors have. There are a few other things that it foxes but nothing go gain HP, TQ or fuel economy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The flapper motor, is that also refered to as the IRC motor? my cel came on for p0507 and the dealership said it would more then likely be the IRC motor. i looked it up and saw a lot about the flapper motor. i have a new one in the mail-$165 shipped. should i install the new motor before/after the update or not at all? (my boost isnt perfectly steady between 1800-2500rpm. boost builds nicely around 1800 then at 2200 dies off but is back at about 2400-2500. feels like the turbo falls on its face for a second) pretty annoying. what do u think?

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
The flapper motor, is that also refered to as the IRC motor? my cel came on for p0507 and the dealership said it would more then likely be the IRC motor. i looked it up and saw a lot about the flapper motor. i have a new one in the mail-$165 shipped. should i install the new motor before/after the update or not at all? (my boost isnt perfectly steady between 1800-2500rpm. boost builds nicely around 1800 then at 2200 dies off but is back at about 2400-2500. feels like the turbo falls on its face for a second) pretty annoying. what do u think?
Do the software update before you do anything. If you are still having problems with the flapper motor codes than find out what one it is and replace it. While you are at it and have the intake manifold off clean all the carbon off those areas. You will see what i mean when you do it. That is if you do it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i heard a lot about cleaning the carbon build up on the valves. apparently its defiantly a good idea. im sure mines never been cleaned. how much of a process is it to clean all the valves? im new to VW, i know eveything there is to know about hondas (unfourtunatly :) if i can get it done and done right in 1 solid afternoon then its a done deal for this sunday. thanks for the info

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
yea i heard a lot about cleaning the carbon build up on the valves. apparently its defiantly a good idea. im sure mines never been cleaned. how much of a process is it to clean all the valves? im new to VW, i know eveything there is to know about hondas (unfourtunatly :) if i can get it done and done right in 1 solid afternoon then its a done deal for this sunday. thanks for the info
I do mot know. I have not opened mine yet. But i will soon. But there is a DIY on vortex. But i also seafoam it often. But cleaning honda carbon is the same as cleaning vw carbon. Lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
I do mot know. I have not opened mine yet. But i will soon. But there is a DIY on vortex. But i also seafoam it often. But cleaning honda carbon is the same as cleaning vw carbon. Lol

How often do you use the Sea Foam?? Never used before.....

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
How often do you use the Sea Foam?? Never used before.....
Every 5,000 or so. It will help with the carbon build uo on the valves

1 - 9 of 9 Posts