Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seing as this is my first brand new car, I'm a little confused. My father is a mechanic and all my life, he has taken care of every one of my vehicles. Now that i have the GTI brand new, it is my first encounter with a dealer service department.

I took it in for its complimentary 5,000 mile service. While there, i expressed concern about a couple of issues that were bugging me. Some rattles that REALLY shouldnt be there, the stereo bass issue, and that popping noise comming from the suspension while breaking and turning. I know I have done nothing wrong with the car and it has not been modified at all.

after the service tech wrote the ticket up, he said that i could owe almost $400 in fees. I looked at him like he was crazy and asked why. aparently, every single issue that i told him, has an $83 diagnostic fee if the problem is found not to be under warranty. then i asked why any of those issues not be under warranty, and he just kind of shrugged his shoulders.

Is this common procedure for any dealer service department, or is this dealer taking me for a ride. they have all been extremely nice and very helpfull, but if they are gonna charge me $83 every time i have a concern with the car, I'm not sure i want to continue trusting them with my GTI

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Hell no, thats complete BS

I got the bass problem, rattles and some other minor things fixed 100% free. I've had my car for 15 months and have only paid for "routine" services and oil changes. Sounds like, I don't want to say scam, but WTF? You're right to be seeing Red Flags... I'd be all over that service manager, asking to know why something wouldn't be under warranty... then a little phone call to VW of America would be next on my list of things to do.
Stick to your guns

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Bcruzin said:
Hell no, thats complete BS

I got the bass problem, rattles and some other minor things fixed 100% free. I've had my car for 15 months and have only paid for "routine" services and oil changes. Sounds like, I don't want to say scam, but WTF? You're right to be seeing Red Flags... I'd be all over that service manager, asking to know why something wouldn't be under warranty... then a little phone call to VW of America would be next on my list of things to do.
Stick to your guns
+1 ^^^ What he said.

Any other dealers close to you?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well he said that i would only get charged if the issue was not a manufacture defect. he cited one example that one woman had a rattle somewhere and when they checked it out, there was a key that had been lost in there and that was what was rattling...so that would be charged the $83. Where as the center air diffuser vent rattle i KNOW is well doccumented and i believe there is a TSB for it...they should wave the fee.

so i could walk away not paying a dime...whis is what better happen or i will go postal in the service department and demand to take the .:R32 in the showroom for a permanant test drive.

as far as other dealers...there is another on the other side of town who i was going to purchace the car fum but the sales staff were rude and unattentive. Who knows, their service department might be better.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i didnt get charged for any diagnostic fees...but the didnt fix anything. Just kepts saying under every issue that "the car is opperating within manufactures specifications"

I handed the service guy the TSB for my radio issue and all he could say was "I didn't know the public had acess to these" so he made a copy. Ill be back in next week with every TSB i can find and then breathe down the tech's neck as he fixes them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TSB = Technical Service Bullitin

It's a doccument produced by Volkswagen that defines a problem, defines the cause for the problem, and then defines exactly how to resolve that problem. The dealer's service department has full acess to all of them. the public has acces to them as well, but you have to pay for them.

You can purchase them from this website at $2 per TSB

http://www.vw.resolve.com/

Or you can find them scattered throughout numerous forums and enthusiast websites

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.