Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! First I just wanted to say I'm a noob when it comes to GTIs. I just bought my MKV yesterday :x Please be gentle.

Haha anyhoo, I noticed I have a phone button on my steering wheel. the dealer told me the car doesn't have bluetooth installed, but that the dealer sells a kit (then he said under his breath that all I needed was to buy the module, its on ebay, and all it takes to install it is 4 screws). So I googled it, and I saw a tread here that showed the wiring harness and mic tutorial.

So I guess my question is: is there any truth to what the dealer said? I've been working overnights and haven had the chance to even look for this alleged 'socket under my seat' Any help would be appreciated. Thank You!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Take a look under the front passenger seat. That's where it is on the MK6 and I assume it's the same for the MK5. I can snap some pictures when I get off work if you'd like, but I bet there are some floating on google already.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just looked an another thread and apparently the harness might be under the plastic cover under the passenger seat. ill check when I get out of work. do you know what version of bluetooth module I can use? am I going to have to re-code to accept the module?

·
Registered
577 Posts
yeah, it should be under that plastic cover(the MK6's got shafted and we have a dumb Styrofoam thing >.>). Mine came with Bluetooth and, unfortunately, I don't know which module you need.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Take a look under the front passenger seat. That's where it is on the MK6 and I assume it's the same for the MK5. I can snap some pictures when I get off work if you'd like, but I bet there are some floating on google already.
The stock mk6 head unit integrates the satellite radio function into the head unit,
so under the passenger seat is available for the bluetooth module.
Mk5 cars with satellite radio have an external satellite radio tuner under passenger seat,
no space for bluetooth module there.

OP, under that plastic cover under the mk5 passenger seat is the satellite radio tuner, not bluetooth.

OP, model year matters in answering your question.
Yes, there is a phone button on all US mk5 GTi steering wheels,
but on most US mk5s (2006-mid year 2008 ),
it does not do anything and there is no factory installed prep for bluetooth.
Some late 2008 and 2009 US mk5s did offer bluetooth as an option,
but if it is not installed as an option, there is no harnesses, no mic, etc.

To add bluetooth phone support to mk5 cars that do not have it, you must add all needed wiring -
harness to head unit, cable to mic, mic in overhead console and VAG-COM changes
to the steering wheel controller and head unit are needed.

There are also two kinds of VW bluetooth available - Volk-L (like the DIY link GTIDUDE provided above),
which is very simple, does not use the MFD, and is the equivalent of a simple bluetooth headset,
and 9W3, which uses the MFD to display call info, phone books, recent call lists, etc.
I have been using the 9W3 style one since 2007 and love it, voice control works very well,
the noise cancellation on the overhead mic works great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So when I look under the seat, there will be a satellite radio module? I know the car was made in March of 2008, which makes it a MKV, so i'm guessing then im going to have to install the wiring harness to make the button on the steering wheel work... isn't there an OEM head unit with the bluetooth/mic integrated into it?

Whats involved with re-coding the car? do I need a laptop? Sorry to sound like a noob, but I am. for now, anyway. ???

lets say i wanted to add lights to the front end of the car, would I have to re-code the car again so they work?

·
Registered
385 Posts
bluetooth - VAG-COM - lighting options

So when I look under the seat, there will be a satellite radio module?
That is correct, if you have a plastic cover under the passenger seat,

there will be a satellite radio module there.

I know the car was made in March of 2008, which makes it a MKV, so i'm guessing then im going to have to install the wiring harness to make the button on the button on the steering wheel work...
Whats involved with re-coding the car? do I need a laptop? Sorry to sound like a noob, but I am. for now, anyway. ???
You will need a tool that can communicate over the CAN buss to the cars various controllers.
(My car currently has 18 different controllers that can be manipulated, ymmv.)
Most commonly done with the Ross-Tech VCDS System (VAG-COM),
which entails a hardware interface, software application and
software license (key integrated into the interface cable).
(An OBD-II tool will be of no help as it only speaks to the engine controller
and even then, just a subset of functions defined by US government OBD-II standard.)

The VAG-COM software will present you settings choices like this:
(these are the four places you would make changes to enable the bluetooth modue)

check byte 3, bit 7 of the CAN Gateway to include the telephone controller in a full scan

_______________________________________________________________________________________

enable CAN-Telephone control in the head unit

_______________________________________________________________________________________

this is the 9W3 style bluetooth controller where you enable the buttons on the wheel, enable the MFD, enable and set language for voice control, set language for display, etc.

can't find a screenshot of the spot where you adapt the steering wheel buttons for the bluetooth controller,
I think it is under adaptation, can't recall at the moment

The dealers have a more sophisticated system from Volkswagen that can do it as well.

lets say i wanted to add lights to the front end of the car, would I have to re-code the car again so they work?
I suspect any lighting that you might add would not be connected to the cars existing controllers, so no.
Just curious, what type of lighting might you add?
There is plenty of light available from the stock US GTi setup if you code it appropriately.

Just the hi-beams with the inner ftp lights is so intense road signs will blind you with the bounce back,
a car in front of you might mistake you for law enforcement pulling them over, deer scatter on your approach, etc.

VAG-COM would be used to manipulate lighting settings like those above,
Daylight Running Light (DRL) settings, etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your help! dataton, per your pic of the front end of your car, how did you get the front halogens to turn on??

·
Registered
385 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts