Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 New GTI

Recently the check engine light popped on and the code I pulled was for a "Cylinder 2 Misfire". I brought it to my mechanic and just switched out the plug and coil pack on that cylinder.

I can still feel the engine misfire when I start it up in the morning but it's not consistent at all. The check engine light is back on with the same code. Although one time it just said "random misfire".

My next step is replacing the rest of the coil packs but has anyone ran into this before? I don't know if there is a common issue with the FSI engine that I should know about.

Thanks!

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
I had this issue a year back, I put in new coils, nothing, new plugs, nothing, then it started to get worse and worse, and after going to the dealership multiple times we figured out it was an injector. It started with #2 misfire, then went random.

I'm not sure if there's any logs than can point to the injector for sure, I just used process of elimination. And 2 weeks after the one failed (very rare) a second failed, go figure. I hope your issue is something simpler, it's a bitch of a job.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had this issue a year back, I put in new coils, nothing, new plugs, nothing, then it started to get worse and worse, and after going to the dealership multiple times we figured out it was an injector. It started with #2 misfire, then went random.

I'm not sure if there's any logs than can point to the injector for sure, I just used process of elimination. And 2 weeks after the one failed (very rare) a second failed, go figure. I hope your issue is something simpler, it's a bitch of a job.
Well it sounds like exactly whats happening to me. All my other coils look fine and the plugs were replaced a few months ago. Do you mind giving more details about the injector? I'm not much of a gearhead, are there multiple? What did it cost? Is there a way to test it?

Thanks for your help.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
each cylinder has: a coil pack, spark plug, and injector among other things. But, these are the most prominent parts that are specific to each cylinder. The injectors are located in behind the intake manifold, which is the black plastic piece in the front of the engine that spreads into 4 ports.

Fortunately I was still under warranty when it happened, so I' don't know about the cost, etc. but it was like pulling teeth with the dealership because they didn't believe my diagnosis until the third time and I refused to leave without a courtesy car.

My advice would be to go to the dealership or good local shop and tell them what you've done already (swapped plugs/coils) and say that you think it might be the injector. One other thing you might want to do it buy a new set of coils as you might have 2-3 failed ones and swapping doesn't help.

Shops tend to have better diagnosis programs than vag-com and might be able to pin point it. But it might not be an injector, could be something else like the air intake flapper valves, and #2 cyl tends to be the first cylinder flagged when the problem, could be all cylinders.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks for your help! The mechanic I've been talking to mentioned that we may have to try a diagnostic tool that he does not have but the dealership does. I just hate giving in to going to a dealership for anything.

I'll see what I can do! GREATLY appreciate the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts