Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

What shall I do first?

• R Tails (If you vote this, specify which color)

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Full Tint (25%) and PlastiDip Exterior Enjoi Blue (Emblems, Grill Stripes, Badging)

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Change Dash Lighting to Blue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sound System Oopgrayyyyd

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Front Lip and Mud Flaps

Votes: 4 22.2%
1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to make a thread to show and track my new GTI's, Scarlett, progress. Also to have one thread where I ask questions and learn everything I can about my new GTI.

First question, when I pop the hood, in the upper left corner of the engine bay, there's a fluid container that contains pink fluid. It has a what looks like a open book with an X on the open page printed on the side, along with G12 printed on the side. Does anyone know what this fluid is??? :wtf2:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Just wanted to make a thread to show and track my new GTI's, Scarlett, progress. Also to have one thread where I ask questions and learn everything I can about my new GTI.

First question, when I pop the hood, in the upper left corner of the engine bay, there's a fluid container that contains pink fluid. It has a what looks like a open book with an X on the open page printed on the side, along with G12 printed on the side. Does anyone know what this fluid is??? :wtf2:
i believe thats coolant

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gotcha. So, I have another question now. When I bought my car, below my driver's side door handle there was a big spot of sticker residue so before I left the dealership, I asked them to clean it. They did, but when I got home I noticed they didn't get all of it and there was still a good amount left. So when I went in the other day to have it detailed, fueled and to get and overview of the features, I asked them to finish cleaning the residue off. When I got the car back, I assumed that they got it all off and headed home. So, when I get home I looked at it and there are still remnants of the residue left! GAHHH! :mad:

My question is, should I take the car back to the dealership again to have them completely finish it off? Or should I just do it myself? If I do it myself, I've heard some people talking about Goof Off, is there any sort of protective process to prevent the GO from eating paint? After using the GO, does that spot need a wax?

I don't feel it's my responsibility to remove that residue and spend money on the supplies to do it especially since it was the dealerships issue. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
do it yourself, and goof off will work fine, just need to dab some onto a microfiber and scrub and it should come right off. make sure to dry it as well cuz if you leave any standing still on the paint it might harm it...

Remember, you want to come into good ties with your dealership, since its most likely them that will making repairs on your car in the future and that good ties might lead to good deals.
unless they are total assholes, than you can annoy them all you want

·
Registered
723 Posts
I gotcha. So, I have another question now. When I bought my car, below my driver's side door handle there was a big spot of sticker residue so before I left the dealership, I asked them to clean it. They did, but when I got home I noticed they didn't get all of it and there was still a good amount left. So when I went in the other day to have it detailed, fueled and to get and overview of the features, I asked them to finish cleaning the residue off. When I got the car back, I assumed that they got it all off and headed home. So, when I get home I looked at it and there are still remnants of the residue left! GAHHH! :mad:

My question is, should I take the car back to the dealership again to have them completely finish it off? Or should I just do it myself? If I do it myself, I've heard some people talking about Goof Off, is there any sort of protective process to prevent the GO from eating paint? After using the GO, does that spot need a wax?

I don't feel it's my responsibility to remove that residue and spend money on the supplies to do it especially since it was the dealerships issue. Any thoughts?
just use goo b gone and do it yourself

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'll just pick up some stuff after school and gitterdun. On the other hand, Scarlett was looking especially fetching this morning. ;D

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Beautiful car is yours a drivers edtion too looks like the one I bought a week ago what wax you useing car looks great. I use meguirs ultimate liquid wax and then foll it up with meguirs ultimate detail spray for extra protection water beads up and off that badboy.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Beautiful car is yours a drivers edtion too looks like the one I bought a week ago what wax you useing car looks great. I use meguirs ultimate liquid wax and then foll it up with meguirs ultimate detail spray for extra protection water beads up and off that badboy.
Thanks man, same to you! It is a Drivers Edition. I have absolutely no idea what wax is on there, I just bought it new from the dealership on Saturday night and what you see is just from there. I just baby it like none other. lol

·
Registered
723 Posts
i like mothers synthetic

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn't use goof off or goo gone on my paint. That's just my opinion. I've used Bug and Tar remover numerous times and it works well. It's also made specifically for cars.
Where do you get that? Checker or something? I don't want to risk anything with my paint.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I wouldn't use goof off or goo gone on my paint. That's just my opinion. I've used Bug and Tar remover numerous times and it works well. It's also made specifically for cars.
I agree. I've used Meguiars bug and tar wipes for just that. As well as some adhesive that was on 3 of the 4 wheels when I took delivery. Something left over from some plastic protectors or something I assume. I just took care of it myself since I had them on hand. Works good with patience. Just gotta wax after.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i like mothers synthetic
I iwll have to give that a try once the meguirs runs out. iS it safe on plastic trim the meguirs is ialso like turtle wax ice liquid wax havent used that 1 in a while though. I seen they came out with a newer version awhile ago.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went and bought some Turtle Bug and Tar Remover and it took that sticker residue right off with no problems at all! Thank you for the suggestion!

1 - 20 of 290 Posts