Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I wanted to document all the work I am going to be doing to this thing..(budget build).and document costs as well...

So I used Craigslist and traded a Silver 01 Ford Expedition with 174K miles and problems for a Silver 01 GTI 1.8T Auto 130K miles..and problems... wanted something more fuel efficient as a daily driver and a second car.

(I have a previous thread about slowness issues that I got resolved) but after spending $400 with the dealer, I quickly realize it will be better if I figure out how to do the work myself.

So here is the current build Screen Shot 2013-11-07 at 3.07.26 PM.png

After I took it to a local mechanic he gave me this laundry list of things I need to fix.
about $4k worth of stuff haha..great. Gonna try to do it myself and see how much I save..

Work Already Done to the car:
NGK Sparkplugs Iridium $N/A
Mass Airflow Sensor $N/A
Coil Packs and Harnesses $N/A
Timing Belt $N/A
Water Pump $N/A
Fuel Filter $N/A
Coolant Flange and Turbo Inlet Tube $450 with labor

Work Needed:
  • Lower Control Arms (right and left)
  • Inner and Outer Tie Rods (right and left)
  • Subframe
  • Front Brakes and Rotors
  • Rear Brakes and Rotors
  • CV Joint Inner Boot ripped
  • Secondary Air Pump/Replace hoses (identify vacuum leak)
  • Front Suspension and Mounts
  • Rear Shocks
  • Fuse Box
  • Side marker light

Purchased Waiting on Install:
Lower Control Arms (right and left)
Inner and Outer Tie Rods (right and left)
Ebay: $96.50 for full kit of both arms and tie rods

Subframe
Ebay:$108 shipped (used in good condition)

Front Brakes and Rotors
Ebay:$175.33 (Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor with brakes Front)

Rear Spoiler
Ebay: Painted and Shipped: $199.95

New Remote Key Shell
Amazon.com $8.54

Headlight Lenses
Ebay:$79.80 Left and Right
(installed left, looked so good I had to buy the right one too)

Still need to purchase/replace
CV Joint Inner Boot ripped: Replaced whole unit $55 (Pepboys)
Secondary Air Pump/Replace hoses (identify vacuumm leak)
Rear Brakes and Rotors $107 (Amazon)
Front Suspension and Mounts $220 (Autozone OEM replacments will do coil overs next year)
Rear Suspension $49 - (Ebay OEM replacements)
Fuse Box (n/a)

Maintenance before fun...ughh sucks..

Total in parts/labor so far: $1118.12

Mod Want List:
  • 18 inch New Rims (Ebay $510.00)
  • Stage 1 ... ($499)
  • 3'inch Downpipe (Ebay -obx 3in catted $199)
  • CoilOvers (not sure yet)
  • CAI CMP (Ebay $34.99 with filter)
  • NAV head unit (not sure yet)
  • Front Seats (these are ripped)
  • Rear Sway Bar ($299)
  • Front and rear valance( $400)

Current status is.
11/7 subframe is removed, attached driver side control arm to subframe, now planning day to reinstall all of the above... photo 2.jpg
11/11 subframe, lower control arms, cv axle, tie rods, ball joints, front struts, drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic brakes all installed.

Rear Spoiler Installed..
Before: photo 3 (1).jpg
After: photo 4.jpg

Rotor look nice too!
photo 2 (1).jpg

More coming soon...

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cullin, I got the rim's picked out already...gotta finish up with the maint stuff first... I could get a tune first or I could get the rims...I gotta pick one...faster or make it look nicer?

Recent Update, This weekend 11/10/13 spent Sat and Sunday getting this stuff in. Asked drunk russian neighbor (He's currently mechanic with 30 years exp) to help with the subframe, he started helping..got to drunk, started dropping bolts, cussed me out, told me I could never do the job without him and went inside ...so after he left...I got the subframe, control arms and ball joints installed. Sunday he apologized for being too drunk and then helped with front struts and tie rods. Apology accepted...he came in handy and helped me get the struts out which I couldn't do without his tools. All in all a good day.

New Parts:
1. Inner and Outer Tie Rod's - Installed
2. Lower Control Arms - Installed
3. CV Axle - Installed (instead of getting a new boot, I just got the axle) $55
3. Ball Joints - Installed
4. Front ReadyMount Struts and mounts - Installed $225
5. Subframe - Installed.
6. Drilled and Slotted rotors and brakes - Installed...
7. Front end Alignment $89

You can see how bad some of the old stuff was...control arm bushings were completely shot, tie rods where really bad too and the ball joints were shot...basically the car has a whole new front suspension. yeah that's my big shaft in the first picture...
photo 1 (1).jpg photo 5.jpg photo 2 (2).jpg photo 1.jpg

The front end of the car is solid now, now onto the rear...

Just ordered rear shocks, cai and rear slotted brakes and rotors...should have everything by Wed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Thanks Cullin, I got the rim's picked out already...gotta finish up with the maint stuff first... I could get a tune first or I could get the rims...I gotta pick one...faster or make it look nicer?

Recent Update, This weekend 11/10/13 spent Sat and Sunday getting this stuff in. Asked drunk russian neighbor (He's currently mechanic with 30 years exp) to help with the subframe, he started helping..got to drunk, started dropping bolts, cussed me out, told me I could never do the job without him and went inside ...so after he left...I got the subframe, control arms and ball joints installed. Sunday he apologized for being too drunk and then helped with front struts and tie rods. Apology accepted...he came in handy and helped me get the struts out which I couldn't do without his tools. All in all a good day.

New Parts:
5. Subframe - Installed.

You can see how bad some of the old stuff was...control arm bushings were completely shot, tie rods where really bad too and the ball joints were shot...basically the car has a whole new front suspension. yeah that's my big shaft in the first picture...
View attachment 13866 View attachment 13874 View attachment 13882 View attachment 13890

Just ordered rear shocks, cai and rear slotted brakes and rotors...should have everything by Wed.
Haha great post! Good work sir.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts

New Parts:
5. Subframe - Installed.

View attachment 13866 View attachment 13874 View attachment 13882 View attachment 13890

Ha ha nice! [good post] You must have OCD, like me, because your posts are incredibly organized.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ha, it's just fun to document.

Let me do say this, if by chance...it's late and you had your drunk neighbor tighten down your brake caliper bracket bolts...and lets say for some reason, he probably didn't do the best job in the world..???. you may end up in front of SMU in Dallas, with your caliper falling off and rubbing against your rim...You will know this by a loud screeching sound as you attempt to drive down the road....[drive] So what should you do? Well...you find the closest store... maybe a CVS...but just an FYI, CVS has NO BOLTS whatsoever...and the only tool they have is a pair of pliers...So you buy the pair of pliers and the hardest metal you can find in the store...that would be a mouse trap...

You then remove the metal bar on the mousetrap and bend it enough to fit through the holes of the caliper and you tighten it down as tight as it will go... you then proceed to the closest auto part store only to discover that yes...those wonderful bolts are dealer only items...how fun...

In the odd chance its past 7pm and every garage closes at 6... you may get lucky and find a NTB that is open. Proceed to beg one of the techs to see if he has a bolt...and if it's your lucky day, he may have one that fits half way in...then..today before work you get to go to the dealer to pay $9 for 1 bolt.... yeah.. That's how you fix a missing caliper bracket bolt when driving down the road...

P.S..when jacking up your car with that piece of sh!t, limp d!ck car jack...just know to pull the emergency brake or the car will fall off the jack 3 times...while you're trying to fix things...
....yeah you're welcome
photo 1 (3).jpg photo 2 (4).jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

Let me do say this, if by chance...it's late and you had your drunk neighbor tighten down your brake caliper bracket bolts...and lets say for some reason, he probably didn't do the best job in the world..???. you may end up in front of SMU in Dallas, with your caliper falling off and rubbing against your rim...You will know this by a loud screeching sound as you attempt to drive down the road....[drive] So what should you do? Well...you find the closest store... maybe a CVS...but just an FYI, CVS has NO BOLTS whatsoever...and the only tool they have is a pair of pliers...So you buy the pair of pliers and the hardest metal you can find in the store...that would be a mouse trap...

You then remove the metal bar on the mousetrap and bend it enough to fit through the holes of the caliper and you tighten it down as tight as it will go... you then proceed to the closest auto part store only to discover that yes...those wonderful bolts are dealer only items...how fun...

In the odd chance its past 7pm and every garage closes at 6... you may get lucky and find a NTB that is open. Proceed to beg one of the techs to see if he has a bolt...and if it's your lucky day, he may have one that fits half way in...then..today before work you get to go to the dealer to pay $9 for 1 bolt.... yeah.. That's how you fix a missing caliper bracket bolt when driving down the road...

P.S..when jacking up your car with that piece of sh!t, limp d!ck car jack...just know to pull the emergency brake or the car will fall off the jack 3 times...while you're trying to fix things...
....yeah you're welcome
View attachment 13929 View attachment 13937
That definitely did not sound as fun as the way you described it... Hah

But that sucks you had to go through that but I'm glad you were able to fix it without a major catastrophe occurring!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts

....yeah you're welcome
View attachment 13929 View attachment 13937
I just about died laughing. Glad you made it through that without more damage...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks guys,
I got the new bolt in and torqued down and checked the other side just in case.

Waiting on my second lense cover, cold air kit and rear shocks and brakes...

Now starting to pick out rims..
Currently:
gti2.jpg

Option1
10837273083_c0bb53aa8d_o.jpg

Option 2
10837272723_0eb11be613_o.jpg

Option 3:
photo6.jpg

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
For the price of OEM rims yo, I would go with 3sdm 0.06's. They're kinda similar to both options and you get more diameter, width and offset choices.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
@csmith, thanks I checked those out but they are a little out of my budget right now. Looking only to spend around $500..the ones I'm looking at are not oem...more oem like..ha.

@vwrabbit , cullin : Thanks for your input... I was set on Option 1 "the Austins" for the MKVII's until I had someone photoshop them on...now I'm leaning towards option 2 the "10 spokes"..but I didn't think about cleaning them, I realize you are right, trying to clean 40 spokes will be a pita...I'm torn between the two though...

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
@csmith, thanks I checked those out but they are a little out of my budget right now. Looking only to spend around $500..

@vwrabbit , cullin : Thanks for your input... I was set on Option 1 "the Austins" for the MKVII's until I had someone photoshop them on...now I'm leaning towards option 2 the "10 spokes"..but I didn't think about cleaning them, I realize you are right, trying to clean 40 spokes will be a pita...I'm torn between the two though...
Those Austin's are going to cost $1400 easy, unless you get reps.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Those Austin's are going to cost $1400 easy, unless you get reps.

And any decent rep that I would even consider would be a quite a bit more than $500 bones.
Maybe plasti dip your existing wheels with the new snazzy metallic finishes they have now or even some wacky color all the kids are sporting these days. That way you could save for some quality reps (I feel weird typing that) or whatever and still have your car look a little more unique to you.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I actually read the options wrong and I mistook your OEM for option 1. Personally, I like the OEM wheels in the 'current' photo. The others almost make the car look like something created by Hot Wheels, just seem way too big for the car overall. JMO. I love the 'Austin' wheels, I dunno.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Of the three wheels the OEM ones in the first pic look the best. I don't like the other two options. There are a ton of inexpensive OEM mkIV wheels out there that would look fantastic and not break the bank. I agree that the other two wheel options just don't match the car and make it look like a hot wheels.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
The only way those other wheels stand a chance is if the car goes low. Otherwise, I would just stick with the first set.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the input on the rims guys. It's interesting to hear everyone's feedback. I'm haven't decided yet so, I'll let you guys know soon. Thx

On a side note:
Just got my second headlight glass lense replacement in for my yellowing plastic lenses... and I gotta say, I'm liking Ebay. I just sold my old plastic lenses on there, even though they needed to be cleaned up. helped offset the cost almost 1/3. Now I gotta change it out tonight to get them shipped tomorrow.

New lenses: $78
Sold old ones $27
New lenses cost me $51...

Selling the lower control arms as well as they are in good condition, they just need bushings. Hopefully recoup some of those costs as well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts