Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so sat night at about 1230 in the morning im on my way home doing about 55mph only 5mph over the posted speed limit some idiot in an old ass honda pulls out right in front of me off me another street so i smash the breaks and rip the wheel to right which then throws my car into a sideways skid then i smash into the curb at about 30 mph sideways at the point of impact. needless to say im left with a completely mangled front driver side wheel my air bag deployed the control bro snapped in two pieces my shocks came off the car so my body was resting on top of my wheel my front corner panel was smashed into my door panel so that doesn open. i tried to engage the clutch but i only get a wrenching sound otherwise the engine still sounds fine there isnt anything else wrong with the car it was just very sad to see it getting dragged onto a flat bed and all my steering fluid and my bearings rolling down the ramp

·
Registered
148 Posts
Brake or turn. Don't do both. What's the deal now? Were you found at fault or what? Bad situation. Where was this in NJ?

Good luck with insurance and all that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no one found at fault no police since the other car took off. and iv been through this before if i didnt break and turn i would have hit him from behind and automatically they find me at fault. i didnt bother calling the police since no one was hurt and no one else was involved already notified my ins and its at there shop they told me to use since my company takes care of all the body and engine work needed and insures the work for life as well so basically hassle free i say my 500 deductable and that includes all the towing they set all the times up and everything all i have to do deal with out my gti for a while its back to driving my celica gts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Dont automatically assume that you'll be found at fault for hitting someone from behind. It almost seems like this would have been one of those instances where hitting them might have been in your best interest. Then you could have contacted the police and ask them to send an officer out to make a report. Now, youre stuck with a messed up car and will hafta cover your own deductible and increased premiums.

Sorry bout your car, that major league sucks.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
my car was hit while i was at school when i fitst got it. less then 1 month old and my baby was all smashed up. :( i feel ya.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it was just so sad to watch my baby get dragged onto a flat bed the wheels were all locked up with fluid leaking every where and my bearings rolling around on the floor still waiting to hear what the diagnosis is on her from the auto body and mechanic just to see how long shell gone for i dont care how much it costs i just need her back going back to the celica has been like a total downgrade... MY FAST IS NOT HAPPY

·
Registered
11 Posts
dvlsplygrnd said:
Dont automatically assume that you'll be found at fault for hitting someone from behind. It almost seems like this would have been one of those instances where hitting them might have been in your best interest. Then you could have contacted the police and ask them to send an officer out to make a report. Now, youre stuck with a messed up car and will hafta cover your own deductible and increased premiums.

I agree. While it is "commonly" true that rear ending someone usually ends up as your fault, this isn't always so and if they come out as being a reckless driver... well... all the more better for you. And ouch about those air bags. It's gonna cost an arm and a leg to replace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
maverickmage said:
dvlsplygrnd said:

I agree. While it is "commonly" true that rear ending someone usually ends up as your fault, this isn't always so and if they come out as being a reckless driver... well... all the more better for you. And ouch about those air bags. It's gonna cost an arm and a leg to replace.
A few years ago, in my pre-GTI days, I rear-ended another car and the other party was found to be 100% at fault. We were both insured. I was in the slow lane of a three-lane road and someone on a side street pulled into my lane because they didn't see me (so much for the DRLs on my car). I was surprised how little trouble it all was. My insurance company fully agreed I wasn't at fault and paid for everything. The other person's insurance company briefly started to play the blame game but it quickly stopped after the two companies talked and settled things between themselves.

Bottom line, while most rear-enders may very well be the fault of the car in the back, that isn't always the case.

Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea i know dont automatically assume that i would be at fault but the problem is that the town i live in where i previously went through the same experience with my celica the cops here all know who i am and having a previously bad speeding record and want they will undoubtly find me at fault. im not to worried iv got an amazing ins company my rates aren going to sky pocket according to my ins adjuster. i have usaa with four generations of good family history and with them that actually means something. even though im on my own policy they actually take a look at that including my brother to because he is now 25 and has been accident free. still waiting on an estimate of the damages done im thinking it was atleast 5000...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ouch.......I feel the bad rep. I had the same problem for years. I ended up with 17 points in bull crap tickets. Illegal left hand turn and excessive speed through intersection and crap like that. Owning a gti will not help the rap either. The rear end job would have not been your fault in the laws eyes, but you are correct, with your rep they would have blamed you first. Coming from a family with quite a few cops in it, Most ocifers take the easy way out when it comes to minor traffic incidents because they have more imoprtant stuff to worry about, like not getting shot.[

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep exactly and it doesn help living in edison new jersey that has basically the most corrupt police force in the united states there so corrupt they even had a movie made based on them. around here they dont give out bull tickets they will just hound you follow you and pull you over just to be a pain when your trying to get some where no tickets just them doing anything they want to make our life just that more difficult. but with that it also help ex. speeding i get pulled over doing 115 mph they let me go cause they know me. it just really depends on who you know and what day it is lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
My 2006.5 GTI got rear-ended by a Mercedes CLK.... I had a scraped Bumper & bent Licence Plate... Her whole front end was destroyed. (Chick even told the Cop she was on her cell phone... Stupid or what?).

GTI's Have Tough Ass Rear Bumpers!

·
Registered
68 Posts
That is good to know, but one lesson I hope I never learn first hand. Unfortunately with so many moron drivers out there, it is inevitable that I am rearended. Next time will be number 3.

·
Registered
809 Posts
07FURYMKV said:
yea i know dont automatically assume that i would be at fault but the problem is that the town i live in where i previously went through the same experience with my celica the cops here all know who i am and having a previously bad speeding record and want they will undoubtly find me at fault. im not to worried iv got an amazing ins company my rates aren going to sky pocket according to my ins adjuster. i have usaa with four generations of good family history and with them that actually means something. even though im on my own policy they actually take a look at that including my brother to because he is now 25 and has been accident free. still waiting on an estimate of the damages done im thinking it was atleast 5000...
Hey dude, dont let the fact that local pd know you, deter you cuz I pretty much have that same problem in my town. Its bad when you show up at Starbux and sit down at a table next to a bunch of local pd and they say hey Danner and its not cuz I hang out at Bux, but instead of the fact that I have been pulled over many times, yet when I was in a wreck last summer they showed up, wrote out the report, finding the other party at fault and were really cool about it. BTW, I rearended the biotch when she pulled out of a driveway and decided whe wanted to be in my lane, 3 lanes over and then stop for no reason and then jumped out and acted like I was in the wrong. St00pid biotch. :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
so i just gto my estimate back from the body shop and there telling $6860.00 worth of damage done to the car i have a long list of parts that needed to replaced it was something like 64 in total =( ill get them all up here probably a scan of the 4 page estimate sometime soon. Also another 3 more weeks without my mkv...

·
Registered
5 Posts
dvlsplygrnd said:
Did you forget your login info and hafta get a new one ?!?! :p
nah its just this is my login on my pc the other login is on my i phone.. im just to lazy to keep logging in since the website does it for me whenever i go onto it. im rarely on my pc ever lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I definately feel your pain. I was in a similar situation. I was driving at night going 51 mph past a intersection when this lady pulls a left just a couple of seconds before I cross the intersection. I had a green and it was dark, but she basicaly jumps and t-bones me. I slammed on the brakes but there was no time to stop. I couldn't swerve since I was on the left lane and another car was on my right. When we both hit, her car spinned and then hit my driver-side door and smashed the window with her tail-end. Thank G-d she wasn't seriously injured or I was. The police officer gave her a ticket for violation of right of way, so I wasn't at fault. Yeah, we both had injuries, but I really think if I was in a civic or something, the accident would have turned out worse. Basicaly, my front end was completely demolished and driver-side dorr was smashed Her right passenger side and the wheel was gone. The airbag on the GTI worked well. As far as I am concerned, VWs are second to none for safety. I have a VW Rabbit now (wanted smaller payments), but boy do I miss my GTI. Damn, that was a great car. I test drove many cars before deciding I picked the best car the first time around.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts