Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok first issue is this... i have read that the timing belt and water pump and all that good stuff should be replaced at 70k miles..well im at 78k so i was planning to get a timing belt kit.. i called the dealership from where i got the car and they said it should be done at 95k, you would think they would say to change it at an earlier mileage to get more money dont you think?? when should it be replaced then?

next question i have is which ignition coils would be good to buy for an stock tune 1.8t, only have a tb exhaust and intake installed, i already purchased copper ngk spark plugs, and do i have to change the coils each time i change the park plugs? which would be every 5k miles right??

any input would be great thnx!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
For the 1.8T's I've been hearing 60K over and over again. Git'r'dun asap. As long as you get the same plugs every time, you should not have to change the coil packs every time, I don't think. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the 1.8T's I've been hearing 60K over and over again. Git'r'dun asap. As long as you get the same plugs every time, you should not have to change the coil packs every time, I don't think. I could be wrong though.
i hope i wouldnt have to change the coils each time.. that would b expensive as f***.. do you know a good brand i should get for cheap?.. autozone has duralast brand for 31$ a peice, ive been looking online and have seen cheaper ones but brands i have never seen so i dont know the quality of them you kno

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
i hope i wouldnt have to change the coils each time.. that would b expensive as f***.. do you know a good brand i should get for cheap?.. autozone has duralast brand for 31$ a peice, ive been looking online and have seen cheaper ones but brands i have never seen so i dont know the quality of them you kno
Yeah, I just verified, you do not have to change the coils with every new set of plugs. Way too expensive. As for coils, here's a couple suggestions I found:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_IV--1.8T/Engine/Ignition/ES7536/

A couple of threads:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4620312

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...i-Hitachi-quot-E-quot&p=74167942#post74167942

Make sure you have your new plugs gapped properly otherwise you have a chronic coil problem.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
you only need to change coils if they are bad. people have started using 2.0t coils in the 1.8T and have had success as long as the plugs are gapped properly (.40-.42 if i remember correctly)

as for the timing belt, well you could change it at 95k... but if it breaks before then, there goes your engine. I changed mine at 80k and felt like I waited too long, Id do it asap

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you only need to change coils if they are bad. people have started using 2.0t coils in the 1.8T and have had success as long as the plugs are gapped properly (.40-.42 if i remember correctly)

as for the timing belt, well you could change it at 95k... but if it breaks before then, there goes your engine. I changed mine at 80k and felt like I waited too long, Id do it asap
you only gap the spark plugs to .40- .42 if your using the 2.0t coils right?? cuz ive read if your using oem coils you gap them to .32, which is what i gapped mine too, im just waiting for the coils to come in now. and for the timing belt the way to tell if its going bad is if its cracked and looking all old...?

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
you only gap the spark plugs to .40- .42 if your using the 2.0t coils right?? cuz ive read if your using oem coils you gap them to .32, which is what i gapped mine too, im just waiting for the coils to come in now. and for the timing belt the way to tell if its going bad is if its cracked and looking all old...?
You change the timing belt at the recommended schedule no matter what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
yes the .40-.42 is for 2.0t coilpacks. .28-.32 for 1.8t coils, depending on if you're tuned

1 - 8 of 8 Posts