Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Coolant Leak! PLEASE CANT LOSE MY BABY!

2M views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  boostedJTi 
#1 ·
i have a problem, my coolant has been leaking lately and i cant figure out the problem. the coolant leaks from the right side and when i went to look under the car i noticed it dripping from the underside of the engine. i had my fther mechanic look at it and he automatically assumed it was the head and soon the car would be f*****.. but he didnt even LOOK under it or put it on a lift. please someone has had to have had this problem. i look everywhere and related stories led to water pump, i dont mind spending money on the car i just want my baby fixed!!.. additionally, if you think it is something that is relatively cheap what would an average pricing be on the replacement:) thank you so much for the replies!

#2 ·
on the 12V vr6 the waterpump is on the passenger side ( not sure which side ur calling the right side ) if u take a peek at my DIY for installing the Gruvenparts light weight pullies (http://myfastgti.com/volkswagen/threads/18516-12V-VR6-Gruvenparts-Pulley-Set-Install) it should give u a good idea of what u got there ...

also check the crackpipe and the 3 sensors that go into the thermostat housing . but if what ur calling the right side if the passenger side theres only 2 possible leaks if its running down the outside of the block and thats the waterpump or the head....

if its leaking from the front central part of the car it could be the crackpipe , thermostat housing cover , the tstat housing any one of the 3 sensors in the housing or any of the hoses .

if u have any more questions hit me up man i replaced my whole coolant system in my 12V so im fairly up on that

#3 ·
the leak is coming from the front central part of the engine.. I've located where its coming from, but i dont know what part of the engine it is, its on the front side of the actual engine, but it looks really close to where a hose goes in, i havent looked at the hose, but it may not be coming from there.. how would i be able to locate the crackpipe or the housing cover, etc?

#5 · (Edited)

The shiny metal pipe in this pic is my crack pipe ... Urs will probably be a black plastic pipe .... The thermostat housing and the 3 sensors are going to be on the end of the crackpipe (towards the drivers side) . theres also a small hose that comes off of thae crack pipe and goes to the block (right in the middle of the pipe in this picture )

Sent From Mah iPhone4 Using Teh Tapatalk B!tches

#7 ·
yeah, i was searching al over last night, finally figured it out, its going to be the stat housing, or the hoses, took to mechanic, since weather is bad have to go again tomorrow, im guessing you replaced it on your own, how long do you think it would take a mechanic to fix it?.. on an hourly wage?

#10 ·
i did mine in my driveway when i had the whole thing torn apart ( whole front end off , head disassembled exhaust off , etc) and actually doing the work took 30-45mins or so (waterpump , all new light weight pullies , new tensioner , new belt , new coolant lines , new crackpipe, tstat , tstat housing and all the sensors and a new radiator ) but like clayton said they are prolly got charge u atleast 2-3 hours labor .... lols ur not by any chance in central VA are u :p id be willing to help but ur most likely not since our weather isnt bad right now

#12 ·
yeah, im definitely not that advanced to where i would attempt that, i took it to the dealership and im getting it changed monday, all new housing, definitely put a dent in my saving, taking just under 600. definitely going to be worth it! i can finally not have to worry about her. thank you guys so much,. i really wish i did, would love the experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.