Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the fancy bi-xenon headlights. I've got the fogs/parks as DRL mod but hadn't noticed this til recently. The lights used to 'aim' (go up and down) when I started the car.

Why don't they do this any more? Anyone experience this? It's a very sweet slick feature and I'd hate to think that the DRL change affected this.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
nimzie said:
I have the fancy bi-xenon headlights. I've got the fogs/parks as DRL mod but hadn't noticed this til recently. The lights used to 'aim' (go up and down) when I started the car.

Why don't they do this any more? Anyone experience this? It's a very sweet slick feature and I'd hate to think that the DRL change affected this.
Come to think of it- I never noticed that on mine (I'm DRL fogs, too) after I switched it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yea i have those lights on mine to but mine do it all the time. but some times when the lights have been on for a while and i turn them off for a short time and come back it wont do it but 90% time it does it no matter what.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try turning your headlights on before you start the car. I find that if the e-brake is on (& thus my DRL is off) the auto level trick isn't visible. I think it does the auto level even though your lights aren't on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
ohh and by the way the dealer lied to me she said that the lights turn with the wheel and around corners...u know like the BMWs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The lights auto level every time you start the vehicle. If you disengage the hand brake before starting the car you can see them level...or just flip your lights on manually as you start the engine. That is the only time they atuolevel.

·
Registered
119 Posts
hey i figured out how to make it happen while moving. its looks cool, might be a bit un safe in a real dark road but outher than that it looks cool

·
Registered
64 Posts
134GTI said:
hey i figured out how to make it happen while moving. its looks cool, might be a bit un safe in a real dark road but outher than that it looks cool
So are U gonna tell us????

·
Registered
842 Posts
My drl's are the zenons. If I start the car and release the handbrake the lights auto level - which looks very cool. I have noticed that under bumpy roads I can see them working as well. It is weird getting a small flash of light on the front of the hood when this happens. I don't recall the manual saying anything about the auto level at all.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
shuke said:
134GTI said:
So are U gonna tell us????
x2

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
OOO OOO I can answer this!!! FIRST OFF though, all MK V GTI's have bi-xenon headlamps...just thought I'd throw that out there. And secondly, the reason the headlights move down, then up is because of an auto-leveling feature that they have. For instance, if you were moving up a hill, the headlights would automatically adjust so that you don't give oncoming traffic the ol' "F-YOU, I drive a VW WITH SUPER DUPER BRIGHT LIGHTS!!!" When you first start the car up, ESPECIALLY if there is an object, or wall in front of you, the headlamps will automatically survey the terrain. That's what they're doing, as well as calibrating themselves to the current road ahead of you. Nothing more, nothing less. Just a vertical auto-leveling feature. SOOOO if you want them to do that every time you start up, just put something in front of your car, like a dog or something, I don't know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
134GTI said:
how do you get that to work while driving?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yeah I would also like to know how to do it while moving!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Vegas wanna hear something wierd??? My DRL's don't ever come on...I dont' know how or why, as I didn't have them turned off or anything. Have your DRL's always come on in your FH?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Also I'm jealous because your Avatar pic is much better than mine...as is TOE_FAST's. Stupid rainy dark night.

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
banditscout said:
Vegas wanna hear something wierd??? My DRL's don't ever come on...I dont' know how or why, as I didn't have them turned off or anything. Have your DRL's always come on in your FH?
Yep, since day one - your dealer probably turned them of with vag-com

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
banditscout said:
Also I'm jealous because your Avatar pic is much better than mine...as is TOE_FAST's. Stupid rainy dark night.
So I guess the little white spot in the middle of yours is a reflection of the flash on a raindrop ? ???

Maybe take a closeup somewhere inside and use that as your avatar. (Or you can use one of my pictures, nobody could tell the difference LOL)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
hahahaha...yeah it's probably a raindrop, but it could be a ghost. Lol, I couldn't steal your pics!!!! That's YOUR fast!! But thanks for the offer!! I'll just have to wait for a nice day...I just couldn't let myself go on, (knowing that I own such a sexy machine) without taking crappy pics to use as an avatar. I've only had it for 3 days, and it's been raining the entire time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.