Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
This may be kinda off topic around here, but I wanted some feedback from you guys.
I'm checking out the GTIs on eBay and elsewhere, and I wanted a good idea for what the ownership experience is on this car. First of all,I'm 49,and still have the need for speed!
I'm not spending any more than around 15-16K for the next veh,or a used GTI.I've seen some pretty slick ones in that price range tho-usually around '03,'04 and even '05 vintage. Secondly, I've been trying to read on this forum about the speed of this car. I want my next car to be FAST. I am willing to chip,cat-back exh,K&N air-and maybe a couple of other minor mods, but I'm NOT pumping untold sums of money for a "project" car!
I'm considering other cars,but as a Passat 1.8T B5.5 owner, I've grown to like VWs,(I just wished my 1.8T was faster,B 5.5s a HEAVY car) you've just got to be prepared to spend a little more on maintenance repairs than,say a Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus. (The Lexus IS 300 is also a nice car I'm considering-nice ones can be had for around 15-17K,with well under 100K miles.)
The GTI appeals to me because of: Gmbh engineeering,fuel economy(decent),nice functionality,quality fit/finish-(I really like some of these GTIs with set of aftermkt spoked wheels on a silv or blk GTI,window tint,maybe lowered a bit.I've seen some really GOOD looking GTIs.Just enough mods for distinctive looks,yet conservative enough to distance themselves from "rice boy crowd". Pure Euro class!
So...what say you guys. Just how damn quick IS this GTI- chipped, exhaust slipped TBE(I assume that means turbo back exh?) and a couple of other relatively inexpensive(what I mean by that,is,another 3-500 bucks-max!)mods? Quick enough to shake all the squirrels in there Hondas,Cobalts and other "rice boy group" cars-that seem to insist on pestering a nice,sexy looking Passat?. Let me hear from you! 8)

·
Registered
89 Posts
the setup u mention there without the extra 3500$ is a wicked setup alreayd ull be eating rice for breakfeast.. fully built like that throw on a frount mount and if ur serious with the extra 3500 upgrade turbo and ur flyyying depends on u.. is 300 is very nice.. saw one with 101 000km goin for 12 grand here in toronto the other day! even the VR6 could be a nsaty engine done right :) goodluck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mystik said:
the setup u mention there without the extra 3500$ is a wicked setup alreayd ull be eating rice for breakfeast.. fully built like that throw on a frount mount and if ur serious with the extra 3500 upgrade turbo and ur flyyying depends on u.. is 300 is very nice.. saw one with 101 000km goin for 12 grand here in toronto the other day! even the VR6 could be a nsaty engine done right :) goodluck
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
FYI- I meant 300-500.oo dollars.Not 3500.oo
I don't have alot of money to soak in this car.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
321 Posts
For only $300-500 you won't be doing a lot of performance mods to this car. The chip alone is around $400-600 depending on which one you get. Do a few searches online for the aftermarket accessories to get a good idea of what things cost. Then maybe you can base your initial investment on that. Good Luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I didn't make myself too clear.
What I meant was...300-500.oo more(or so)on top of the chip and exh adds.
I don't know...but I figured(from what I read on Passat forums),these 2 would make the car pretty fun in of themselves. Throw another 300 to 500 bucks(or so) at it-(on whatever will give me biggest bang for buck),& just HOW quick will this thing be?
Allow me to clarify more.
I want it fast enough to shake the Oklahoma ******** in there new Chevy Silverados,Ford F150s and Dodges. I want that GTI to run away from Acura Integras, Eclipes', and all the other pos' that the young squirrels drive with there fart cans out back.
In other words, I want something that will make cars shrink in my rear view mirror.
Can the GTI do that without spending another 5-8 thousand on the car? Or should I go buy me a used Vette! :p

Get my drift? Thanks again for the feedback!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.