Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starter, thanks for looking.
Recently ive been looking for my second car, just recently sold my 98 gti vr6, i felt it just wasnt going to last as long as i wanted, plus i really like the mkv looks, and sounds amazing.
I really have a few questions because ive been doing some research to find some advice on this topic, but im a COMPLETE vw noob, i would love for someone to post a thread or any type of article explaining the basics, good ways to treat the car, gti/vw tips, etc. (dont get me wrong i know the basics of a car) but i just want to futher understand the gti because I've looked everywhere and many people say they are cars you have to keep up on and watch. Im completely prepared to do all the necessary maintenance, etc to keep this car in top working condition.

Questions:

1. ive been looking at certified pre owned because ive seen advice saying this would be the way to go, so would around 60-70k miles on a gti a good place to start? what are the usual maintenance required around this time? would this be an expensive time for the car?

2. Are they really that un reliable, like you always see people say vw are? i know that if you dont take care of the car then if wont do the same to you, but are they a bad car for DD, and having fun without having to worry about things always having to be fixed, and checked on?

3. Is there ANY advice you wish someone would have given you before buying this particular generation of gti, or just gti's in general? Things that you had to find out the hard way, and would like to prevent someone else for going through the same?

4. Final question/questions.
Is a gti a good first time car (high school student)? i only had the 98 gti for a month before my parents persuaded me into selling it because they think they are unreliable, and they are major money pits ( reason why im looking into certified). So basically if you were to have a child that had limited experience with cars, would you advise them into getting a gti? why or/and why not?

Thanks again for looking, hopefully its not too much! [drive]

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have a spreadsheet with all of these services and mileage intervals
Date-
Plugs-25k
Coils-50k
Change DSG Fluid-40k
Air filter-25k
Fuel Filter-25k
CamFollower-80k or w/hpfp ^grade-10k