My Fast GTi banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've sinned....

I have been out of town working for the last 1.5 years and my 96 GTI VR6 GLX has been sitting in a storage garage in LA... undriven. I loved this car when I drove it every day and haven't driven ANY car since I left it. I'll be going back to it in the new year and am sure there will be some major engine problems with it when I return. LA VW dealerships in the area will surely break the bank so I was wondering what the best thing to do will be.

There were some unexpected problems that came up just before I left which I never had time to take care of which made the car almost un-drivable and definitely un-shippable to where I am. First of all, the drivers seat angle adjuster (that large knob) broke and the seat extends when going up a hill. The other problem was with the passenger side auto window which failed and just dropped down so I couldn't have it properly shipped.

There are a few other minor things but I'm just looking for a general starting point and any tips from some pros who can help me save this great car.

I swear I'm a good person :p My dog is really happy :)

Best regards,
--Jon

·
Registered
857 Posts
First, welcome to the boards, you should enjoy yourself here and hopefully find some useful information.

Next item of business: I can't help with the knob on the seat, but I think I know what's wrong with your window. It happened to me with my 2001 Passat Wagon, same problem, the window just drops on its own and cannot be rolled up. For this, you need a new motor thingy for the window itself, you really should go to your dealership and have them order that part (it won't be cheap), I don't know of any other way to fix this problem. While you're there you might as well have them look at the seat and have them do a routine check-up of your engine fluids, make sure everything is running as it should. With a 10 year old car, there really isn't much you can do other than pump some money into it to get it back to tip-top shape like it was long ago.

This is all just my opinion on what you should do, coming from the guy who takes his car to the dealership for every single little thing, never even changed my own oil. My experience with my dealership here in Dallas has been great, and so I rely on them pretty heavily.

I hope all goes well with your car, and you're able to drive it again soon.

Keep us updated on the condition of it when you get back to it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
if thats all of the major stuff your in good shape. you can get the whole window regulator for around 70 bucks or cheaper off ebay. its common theres to little tabes that hold your window in place and there a hard plastic so over the years of door slamage they brake off. and the window falls down into the door. and its realy easy to install 30min a 10mm & 13mm wrench, philips head screwdriver and your good to go. and as far as the seats go there a dime a doze to. you can go to www.vwvortex.com and find a set or find a salvage yard and pull some. its only to bolts in the back side of the seat and the front part its a little pin you pull. and the bottom of the seat will lift up and youll see the bolts in the back.

·
Registered
231 Posts
no disrespect to 10bv01 but a VW dealership would be the last place i'd go with any repairs or parts mainly because of the inflated prices. if you can't do it yourself, then its better to have a good mechanic who will charge a lot less for labour than a dealership. but the problems aren't that bad. you are forgiven. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts