Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey....

after my screen saver has been on for a lil bit, my monitor turns off which is normal ( i have it set this way), however recently when my external harddrive is plugged in my computer when the monitor turns off my computer wont come back on. This only happens when my external is attached.

[help]

·
5,926 Posts
lumns

hey i am kind of a computer geek so here so if you already know a work that i cap than just go with it. this is what i suggust you do. restart the commputer and when it says "F2 for setup" you hit F2. that is your BIOS! you will only have control of you arrow keys. no mouse. go to boot and see if your computers boot order is set up for the internal hard drive do not know what the name will be it is always diffrent you will also have on there the 3 1/2 drive and your cd/dvd drive on there. but you should set it up that it boots off the internal hard drive first than you cd/dvd drive than your 3 1/2 drive.

what might be happening is that you boot order is setup to boot off a external source i.e. external hard drive. after you do that you should go on to you desktop and right click and go to properties. from there you go to screen saver. under that tab you will see a a power options go there. when you get there what you need to check for is that you hard disks do not shut off. if it is like that than change it to never so your hard drive will not shut off (internal) and it goes to sleep or hybernate.

that might fix it it might not let me know

jeff

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Did you change anything in your power scheme? Right click on your desktop|properties|screensaver|power make sure you select "never" for the drop down where it says to "turn off hard disk".

·
5,926 Posts
i agree. but i just do not know how to say stuff. if i do it i can just do it in my head but if i try to explain than i can just ramble for ever like i did no the last post.

dragon teach me how to get to the point like that [help] lol

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
top of the chain gti said:
i agree. but i just do not know how to say stuff. if i do it i can just do it in my head but if i try to explain than i can just ramble for ever like i did no the last post.

dragon teach me how to get to the point like that [help] lol
Try doing it off the top of your head, w/o a computer in front of you, while on the phone and your driving :D

lumns: Is it a name brand computer or a generic? If it's a name brand, you may want to check the manufacturers website and see if they have a system BIOS upgrade. The Bios does control some of the power management.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im dont think its the bios because i boot up w/ my external all the time as i'm using a laptop. My laptop is a dell, i've had it for years. I've been using my external for a year and have never had a problem, until last week when i moved some folders from my documents to it. Its annoyin as i sleep to music and 30gigs of my music is on my external. i checked the hardrive never turn off option, it is set as that. goin to check bios but i doubt it is the case

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
lumns said:
im dont think its the bios because i boot up w/ my external all the time as i'm using a laptop. My laptop is a dell, i've had it for years. I've been using my external for a year and have never had a problem, until last week when i moved some folders from my documents to it. Its annoyin as i sleep to music and 30gigs of my music is on my external. i checked the hardrive never turn off option, it is set as that. goin to check bios but i doubt it is the case
Go to Dell's website: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen enter your service tag # (should be on the bottom of the laptop): Download and install the update for your system bios if available also see if they have any updates for your intel chipset.

What model Dell is it?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
latitude c640...i already had the same or newer bios upgrade loaded on my computer

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Who makes the external drive and have you checked their site for firmware upgrades?

Keep in mind- the actual drive brand may be different than what it says on the case of the drive.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its a fantom drive and i visited the website but there are no firmware upgrades listed for my drive

1 - 10 of 10 Posts