1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wondering
for GTI the torque is about 280 Nm at 1800 RPM (200 bhp) DSG 6 speed in 6.9s

since Cayman 273 Nm at 4.600 - 6.000 RPM (245 bhp) Triptronic 5 speeds in 7,0 s

May i understand how come GTI better than Cayman in torque and the opposite in HP ?

and the second question how come GTI faster in acceleration since both are DSG/Triptronic ?

Thanks

·
Registered
635 Posts
yeah no way taht has to be wrong

But as any Porsche enthusiast knows, the "S" typically indicates a higher-performance version of a given model. The question of, "Where's the base version?" has been answered for 2007 with the debut of the regular Cayman. With a smaller, 2.7-liter flat-6 (as opposed to the S model's 3.4-liter engine), the Cayman makes a still-respectable 245 horsepower and 201 pound-feet of torque, which Porsche says is enough punch to hit 60 mph in just under 6 seconds. A top speed of 160 mph isn't too shabby, either. Listing at just under $50,000, the standard Cayman is nearly $10,000 less than the S version and would seem to be more than adequate for most sports car fanciers. Still, another obvious question remains: What does the S give you for the additional cabbage? The biggest (literally) upgrade is the more powerful engine, which brings that 0-60 sprint down to 5.1 seconds and pumps up the top speed to 171 mph. The S also has upgraded wheels, bigger brakes and a six-speed (versus five-speed) manual gearbox.

Manufacturer 0-60-mph times are 5.8 and 5.1 seconds for manual-transmission versions of the Cayman and Cayman S, respectively

but with the cayman as is any porshe..NO ONE buys the base model you only buy the S models...either way its one hell of a car that whoops the GTI's ass..but then its like racing a Beetle against a lambo...anyone see that lambo vs GTI video..lol...search it on youtube

·
Registered
749 Posts
zqoot said:
i am wondering
for GTI the torque is about 280 Nm at 1800 RPM (200 bhp) DSG 6 speed in 6.9s

since Cayman 273 Nm at 4.600 - 6.000 RPM (245 bhp) Triptronic 5 speeds in 7,0 s

May i understand how come GTI better than Cayman in torque and the opposite in HP ?

and the second question how come GTI faster in acceleration since both are DSG/Triptronic ?

Thanks
The answer to your first question is in the math that relates horsepower to torque. Namely, the relationship of the two varies with RPM. I can tell you that the numbers quoted are wrong because the GTI does not make 200 horsepower at 1800 RPM (I'll show later how that would be over 583 ft-lbs of torque). Peak HP is 200 but you have to rev it up past 6000 RPM to get there. The reason the GTI has a higher peak torque figure but a lower peak horsepower is because the GTI makes more power in the lower rev ranges and the Cayman makes more power at higher RPMs. I don't know how to do the conversion using Nm but to convert horsepower to ft-lbs multiply the measured power output (let's say an engine makes 68.9 horsepower at 1800 RPM) by 5252 ( 68.9 X 5252 = 361862.8 ) then divide by the measured engine speed (361862.8 / 1800 = 201 ft-lbs).

Now we have two potential answers to your second question:
1) DSG kicks ass! It's not the same as Tiptronic. The DSG just might be the fastest-shifting transmission available in a street legal automobile.

2) Better power curve. The fact that the GTI's engine makes more power down low gives it a broader range of useful power. First and second gear need as much horsepower as they can get down low to build a decent amount of torque and really get the car moving. After that, horsepower will reign supreme since you will likely be shifting near redline to keep the engine revving high in the high-horsepower range.

·
Registered
749 Posts
kryptonkid07 said:
Where'd you get 5252 from?
Sorry, I rounded: 5252.1131213467626092812986314043 should be a little closer. It's actually 33000/2Pi here in the States. That's 33,000 ft-lbs/min = 1 HP and 2Pi radians = 1 revolution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kylmous, GTI faster than regular Cayman!!

btw i beated Mercedes S350 2007..

i am so proud actually with GTI

one more question guys.. is there any better vehicle than GTI with lower price or even with same price?

sexy,, attractive,, sporty suspension with super control in curves or roundabouts..
i live in Qatar (ppl here have too much money :p) they keep in racing me without telling that directly if u like to race.. last week for example, BMW 335 Coupe 2007 model we raced, and till 30mph we were same, and of course he won.. but even though i was happy from the performance (that BMW is for >300HP) lol

·
Registered
635 Posts
im sorry ive seen the numbers..the cayman whether it be a regular or S model trumps the GTI the 0-60 is 5.8 and 5.1 for the S model...well i hope at first u kept up with him new Beamers are very heavy (0-30 is nothing thats like 1 second lol)...spell my name right i mean come on its right in front of you...you never beated a Mercedes you "beat" one..I can't read your post it actually brings a tear to my eye. About the mercedes its no suprise...its 0-60 is 6.8 so no big deal there..but you will never beat a Cayman yet alone get close to one on the track. Get your facts straight before your post then come talk trash. And yes there is a better vehicle the Mazda SP3

·
Registered
749 Posts
MSVDUB said:
I always thought tiptronic was the same as DSG...what the hell is the difference :p?
Tiptronic is nothing more than an automatic transmission with up- and down-shift levers, buttons, paddles, or a combination. It uses a torque converter just like any other automatic.

DSG is still technically an automatic transmission but instead of a torque converter, it uses two (yes, two) clutches which hover over two different gears until electromechanically engaged (one at a time). One clutch is used to engage the odd gears, the other for even gears. There are two advantages to this remarkable piece of engineering. 1) No torque converter; nuf said. 2) The process of sequential shifting is much faster than any other automatic. Say you're sitting at the starting line waiting to launch. The two clutches are hovering, ready to engage over 1st and 2nd gear. When you launch, the odd clutch engages. When the computer decides it's time to shift to 2nd, the odd clutch disengages, the computer rev-matches for 2nd, and the even clutch engages 2nd(almost instantly), then the odd clutch moves over, ready to engage 3rd gear. Voila! An entire gearshift in less time than it takes my slow foot to press the clutch pedal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts