Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I'm doing a driving course in our HVP ( high volume pump) it's 26 tonnes with a safe top speed of 40mph - so you can imagine just how much I enjoy my drive home after a 10 hour day in something that big and slow.  So was wondering what everyone else drives at work or uses as a company car and do you look forward to the drive home as much as me.

CT

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Re: Company car !

G864 TST said:
This week I'm doing a driving course in our HVP ( high volume pump) it's 26 tonnes with a safe top speed of 40mph - so you can imagine just how much I enjoy my drive home after a 10 hour day in something that big and slow. So was wondering what everyone else drives at work or uses as a company car and do you look forward to the drive home as much as me.

CT
Nice rig!

40MPH??? Governed? I've got Vag-Com- we can fix that for you [fish].

So how many LPM/GPM?... the biggest I worked with was 2,000 GPM and 2,000 gallon tank (VanPelt/FMC on a Ford 9000).

Here is my old company car: ;D

K

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey a fellow Firey - now I really like your rig, I'll mention your nice offer (vag-com) tomorrow at work see what the rest of the guys think! Our HVP  is a triple axle MAN chassis with a Hook Lift System, carrying a pod with 2 "mini" pods inside, a hydrosub which has a maximum pumping capacity of 7000l/min and a hose layer, with all the flooding we're getting I think it'll be a pretty busy motor once it's on the run.  Training on it is very enjoyable but as the day goes on I find myself thinking more and more about the drive home, and I always go the long way!!!

CT

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
G864 TST said:
Hey a fellow Firey - now I really like your rig, I'll mention your nice offer (vag-com) tomorrow at work see what the rest of the guys think! Our HVP is a triple axle MAN chassis with a Hook Lift System, carrying a pod with 2 "mini" pods inside, a hydrosub which has a maximum pumping capacity of 7000l/min and a hose layer, with all the flooding we're getting I think it'll be a pretty busy motor once it's on the run. Training on it is very enjoyable but as the day goes on I find myself thinking more and more about the drive home, and I always go the long way!!!

CT
Does it carry any water on board or does it just pump? 7K l/min is some serious flow- nice for a monitor line. O0

Years ago we had a demo MBZ/UniMog brush truck- that thing was a blast- slow on the road but it could climb almost anything. I've pretty much worked rural fire-rescue- any building more than 5 stories scares me. I'll jump outta helicopters- but I hate tall buildings [fish]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Firemen.....Oops fire-people or fire-fighter's or fire-thingy-humans, whatever...you "creatures" are all alike.

You knew I had to say something....I can't just let that opportunity go past!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
my work truck is like an real old dodge 6.2 diesel. I've only had it up to 25mph and i thought i was flying. on the flightline i can go any faster than 15mph...so top speed never gets pushed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Growing up in the Midwest it wasn't too bad... there were only 2 things that kinda got me...

the 2+ inches of ice from an Ice storm that we chipped off the sidewalk before the sun came up one day,

and doing pushups in a field that was frequently fertilized by these things... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_goose :eek:

I did tend to draw a little more attention than other recruits.... being 25 at the time I went through... but all things considered I knew what I was getting into and it wasn't anything too bad to deal with... O0

·
Registered
87 Posts
Luckily for me my GTI is my Company Car!!! (Sales) O0

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dragon - nope it doesn't carry any water, we do have a water bowser that is mobilised if we need extra water tho,  we've recently changed from manuals to automatics and we're all prefer them ( much to our surprise!) We have Scanias and that's a quality fire engine, the HVP is triptronic so I feel like a formula 1 driver behind the wheel (doing 40 mph ha ha)- we're real lucky up here, we get a nice mix of city/town driving but as we are pretty rural ourselves we get a nice blast out in the open road just as often - anyone one that says driving under blue lights isn't a thrill is just fibbin! 

CTREE96 - you definitely win it for the coolest work vehicle so far, nope hold on tho- sorry richieGTI  drives a GTI so he's gotta be winning!
CT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts