Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with climatronic, when you are in auto mode do you leave the AC turned on?

The reason I ask is because it seems counter intuitive to me to leave the AC on when I am in the heating season. However, they recommend leaving the AC on in the manual so the air is dehumidified. I am just wondering if the AC is running all the time then, or just a portion of the system?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Wow Uncle you got me on that one. I got the climatronic but I think based on the outside temp and what you set your dial at is gonna determine if your AC is on or not. We dont have a button per say like I hear the 08's now have (dunno if thats true or not). I thought of it the past few days because its rainy here and outside is 70 lets say. I want inside at 75 but it feels like the AC is on. I feel the air coming out close to the vent and it feels like AC but like you said, maybe to get the humidity out is why the AC might feell on.

Correct me if Im wrong but there isnt an AC button in our 07 FASTs?!? Im no pro at that part of the dash by any means. ;D

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VA2STLTH said:
Wow Uncle you got me on that one. I got the climatronic but I think based on the outside temp and what you set your dial at is gonna determine if your AC is on or not. We dont have a button per say like I hear the 08's now have (dunno if thats true or not). I thought of it the past few days because its rainy here and outside is 70 lets say. I want inside at 75 but it feels like the AC is on. I feel the air coming out close to the vent and it feels like AC but like you said, maybe to get the humidity out is why the AC might feell on.

Correct me if Im wrong but there isnt an AC button in our 07 FASTs?!? Im no pro at that part of the dash by any means. ;D
I can't speak to the 07, but I can run the AC in auto, or not. I figured when it was warm to leave the AC button on, that way it would cool it when needed (like you said). But when it gets cool, is it more efficient to leave AC off or on? I was also a bit confused when the temperature was high, if I didn't have the AC button on, would the climatronic automatically turn the AC on to hit the set temp?? See the pic below, I can switch that AC button on or off no matter if in auto mode or manual. Does anyone know what I mean or am I thinking too much ;D

·
Registered
321 Posts
UncleDude, what year is your Fast? Are you in the US? I don't have that AC button. My button says "econ".

It works the same way though. If you hit the "auto" button then your compressor (ac) is automatically turned on and off as needed by the computer. It doesn't matter what your temp is set at either. If you are trying to heat the inside of your car then the compressor may still come on to dehumidify. If you hit the "econ" button so that the light is illuminated then it overrides the compressor and keeps it turned off. Just play around with it. If that "econ" light is on then the compressor is off. I would assume it's the opposite if your button says "ac".

Did that make any sense?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ I think that makes sense. Having purchased the car, CDN 2008, in the shoulder season I needed both heating and cooling. I like the auto function but felt it wasn't cooling to the temperature without activating the AC button in auto mode. I can see they have changed the logic on the button based on your description. If I press AC I expect cooling, if you pres ECON you expect no cooling. Odd. You would think that in auto mode the car would kick in the compressor when ever it felt it was needed - but that was not my experience - I would only get AC if that button was activated.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Okay, here's the deal with Climatronic.

07 - AC is default on. With it on, it will dehumidify and condition your air. Also cool it if you want. If you just want outside air/heat but no AC, you have to press the ECON button.

08 - AC is default off. If you want the AC on to dehumidify/cool the air, you have to select it. If you just want outside air/heat, don't select AC.

That's how the salesman explained it to me when I bought mine, anyways.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Uncle,

Thanks for the pic. Made me wonder so I went outside to check and my 07 says "ECON" where yours is "AC". MicMoor77's comments make since so you might need to press AC to cool off where as mine does.. or seems to do automatically.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
matrim22 said:
Okay, here's the deal with Climatronic.

07 - AC is default on. With it on, it will dehumidify and condition your air. Also cool it if you want. If you just want outside air/heat but no AC, you have to press the ECON button.

08 - AC is default off. If you want the AC on to dehumidify/cool the air, you have to select it. If you just want outside air/heat, don't select AC.

That's how the salesman explained it to me when I bought mine, anyways.
So if we have the AC on in the winter, the air is dehumidified. So this must mean the compressor is running, and therefore dinging our fuel economy slightly.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
thanks for the clear up....

i jus never have the air on.... windows half down w/ butt warmers on is how i roll

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lumns said:
thanks for the clear up....

i jus never have the air on.... windows half down w/ butt warmers on is how i roll
We get a lot of rain here. In my MKIV the windows would fog up fast when you would get in with a wet coat or whatever. But I find with MKV, with the climatronic on auto and the AC on - no fogging. It really makes a big difference. The fuel economy issue is negligible.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
yea.... myth busters went though that.

on a side note i do wish though that the rear trunk window rolled down.

I love my climatronic, especially considering the girl likes the heat on and i like it cold, when shes in the car its set at 60 and 80

1 - 14 of 14 Posts