Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had any good advice or tips for cleaning stock exhaust tips, im looking at getting some new chrome tips soon, but still want my car to look nice untill i get them. Correct me if im wrong, because i am completely new to babying my car (I had a Jeep Liberty before my GTI and wasn't proud enough of it to clean it like i do my GTI) but i believe that the stock tips are aluminum and i havent found any good tutorials when it comes to cleaning aluminium tips. People have said that using aluminum wheel cleaner will work just fine on tips as well, but i want to make sure that is accurate. Any advice is appreciated :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same reason you clean your car, to make it look nice. Everything you wash is gonna get dirty again eventually.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Seriously.

I'm cat-less and they get FILTHY

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
People still have cats in their VW's? Weird.

More serious: No scuffing from the Magic Erasers?
They're slightly abrasive, but any swirl marks polish out easily.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip, i'll have to try that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No luck with the magic eraser. I posted wrong last time, the tips are actually stainless steel. Any tips for that. Maybe the same stuff that cleans refrigerators?

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Interesting, mine are stainless as well. Sounds like you need something stronger to get the crust off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, I got the right tip cleaned pretty well, but the left one had such baked on crust, nothing has got it off. Not a magic eraser, wheel cleaner, or stainless steel cleaner.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the links. The most recommended product looks to be Never-Dull. I'll have to get over to Auto Zone tomorrow and give it a try, Steel wool also seems to be a favorite among people. Hopefully between the two, I can restore the tips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm gonna try steel wool and Never-Dull tomorrow, but what do you think about WD-40 as a plan B?

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
WD-40 might work. You could always try carb or brake cleaner too.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
Eagle One Wadding Cloth. I used to scrub and scrub with other stainless liquids. The wadding cloth is so damn easy.
i used this too

but it will leave a white residue if you dont polish it right

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey guys, the crazy good purple stuff is a commonly used product in my business, where im the technical coordinator and web host for a few businesses one of which i base myself out of is a manufacturing shop, where i can make parts for my car, have a plasma router pipe bending hydraulic machines etc etc....,8) that said, as soon as i get back to the shop i will post on what the "purple stuff" is, everyone in my shop knows if something is hard to clean, go get the bottle of purple....ill hit you guys back soon...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts