Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife informed me that the phone charger (Kensington mini-USB) was not working in our 2006 GTI. I tried it in the 12 V accessory socket in the trunk. Also not working. I verified the charger itself was good in my 99 Passat.
Checked out fusebox A. Number 24-25 Amp cig lighter and number 26-10 amp-rear 12V socket were missing fuses! A mystery. (The car had VW dealer service for passenger airbag issue but they shouldn't have touched these.)
OK so I put in a 25amp in #24 and a 20amp in # 26. Nothing. Both sockets still dead.
Everything else seems to be working.
Any ideas? Is there another fuse in fusebox B in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I was baffled, tried new fuses and everything. Took it to the dealer and they said a penny or some coin must've gotten in the socket and fried it. It was awhile ago but I don't remember it being an expensive fix. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Cigarette Lighter and Rear 12V socket both not working-Success!

As it turns out both the VW 2006 GTI owners manual and an 18 page VW technical pdf (VW GOLF MKV) I downloaded are both wrong in the fuse location for this problem (and others.)I decided to try the old homeowner's method of finding a bad fuse when they are incorrectly labeled, namely, try them all and see what's bad. I limited myself to the 20A ones. On the 3rd try I discovered it was location 28 (in the driver's side of dash-fusebox "A"."

Moral of the story: Sometimes common sense trumps alleged teutonic comprehensiveness.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Re: Cigarette Lighter and Rear 12V socket both not working-Success!

As it turns out both the VW 2006 GTI owners manual and an 18 page VW technical pdf (VW GOLF MKV) I downloaded are both wrong in the fuse location for this problem (and others.)I decided to try the old homeowner's method of finding a bad fuse when they are incorrectly labeled, namely, try them all and see what's bad. I limited myself to the 20A ones. On the 3rd try I discovered it was location 28 (in the driver's side of dash-fusebox "A"."

Moral of the story: Sometimes common sense trumps alleged teutonic comprehensiveness.
but were those manuals for the euro or na model? hehe.but you're right, the germans are still human...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts