Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I noticed about 7 small paint chips around the front of my fast. Anyone have good tips for repair or good suggestion on where to take my fast to get small chips like this taken care of?

thanks,

·
Registered
56 Posts
A day late perhaps, but I was thinking about getting one of these magnet bras for the highway trips.

It's depicted on a Jetta, but the shape is the same I think.

As for the chips, I guess I'd touch up the small ones myself with and applicator from VW. Otherwise I don't know. Not much good I know.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I feel your pain on the chips. Some fucker ran over a coke can in front of me and it was kicked up, spinning almost like a buzzsaw and ran right across the top of my hood. Two gashes to the metal and some minor denting and another less noticeable, yet equally upsetting dent/scratch combo. And on top of that, some idiot door dinged my shit. :mad:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Feel your pain too. Some of the highways here in VA suck, mainly the ones that I have to drive to work on. People (truckers) kick stuff up on my car all the time. I have only had my Fast for 3 months and there are about 10 chips on the front. I was thinking about a bra too, but I am kinda afraid that if I get one, it will trap sand and dirt in there and scratch up the paint. Then I would have to keep it on forever.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am definitely going to get a bra. In 4 months I put 10,000 highway miles on my car and I have a ton of ships to prove it. My car is black so it won't be that noticeable. I wash my car once a week (obsessive, I know) so I will take it off and wash under the bra every time I wash the car. Most of those chips are from tailgating. If you are driving at 60mph, you need at least 180ft between you and the car in front of you so that the rocks will hit the ground before they hit your car. At least that is what I learned in drivers-ed 10 years ago. The problem is that as a GTI owner I rarely stop at 60 unless I am in a 30. I know it is dangerous but I have never owned a car like this one which begs to go faster.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't recommend a vinyl bra. From my experience, no matter how clean you keep it and the car, it will inevitably scratch or harm the paint finish. Plus, I just don't like the way they look. Anyway, I've had two clear 3M bras (different cars) and they are great. They will keep the nose of your car from getting chips like described above, they are nearly invisible, and easier to maintain than a black vinyl bra. Of course, they cost more, but a lot cheaper than paint. It'll cost about $500 to get the whole nose of the car and the mirrors covered. Check out Starshieldarmor.com. They can refer you to an experienced installer in your area. Experienced installer is a must to get a quality job.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
So when I went to this shop today... the owner, after he walked around my car and got the milage and stuff- he says- you should really get a clear bra put on if you want to keep it looking nice... I laughed and said- uhh it's already on there... (3M).

He couldn't tell it was there ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dragon, did you end up installing it yourself or having it done? Sounds like it came out great if it is that invisible.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
fyrefast said:
Dragon, did you end up installing it yourself or having it done? Sounds like it came out great if it is that invisible.
Get it proffesionally done... I stayed and watched and It would take me a few trys to perfect it (I've used the stuff before for headlights/foglights and did them myself). Where it gets tricky are the curves of the hood. When the kits costs about $300 or so bucks... I'm not gonna risk it. ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yea, that was my experience too. I've had 3 of these now, they are great, highly recommended.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Im from Toronto in Canada :) do I have to go through 3m directly?? or are there other places like tuner shops and such?? and is it really that unoticeable?? i mean i love the front end sooo much wouldnt wna jeapordize the looks too much

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
There's a chain here in Edmonton that allegedly does the 3M called Ziebart. I haven't actually checked them out yet, just heard from a co-worker. Not sure if that chain is nationwide either.

·
Registered
193 Posts
mystik said:
Im from Toronto in Canada :) do I have to go through 3m directly?? or are there other places like tuner shops and such?? and is it really that unoticeable?? i mean i love the front end sooo much wouldnt wna jeapordize the looks too much
some tint shops will install 3m as well.......... i got a quote for 500 for the front ...... i might only have the hood done for $140

anyone know how much the front bumper/cover costs for our car not including the grill?

·
Registered
53 Posts
mystik said:
anyone know where you can get the clear bra and how much around it costs? can u get it from the dealer? TY :)
A BMW dealer here in SoCal referred me to a tint shop for a clear bra on my 330ci. What a mess... sags, wrinkles, etc. I took it to Star Shield Armor who removed the botched job and expertly applied the 3M replacement. I highly recommend going to someone who specializes in this, not just a tint shop who has done a few. Look up Starshieldarmor.com, email them for a referral to an installer in your area. I did this for my GTI, which I purchased used, excuse me I mean "pre-owned", in Houston. After buying the car, I immediately took it to the place Star Shield Armor recommended before driving the 1500 mi. home. The installer did a perfect job. Expect to pay $500 for the whole nose of the car as well as the mirrors. It looks great and is money well spent IMHO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts